For all you clip/magazine purists.

This is a discussion on For all you clip/magazine purists. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The latest, April 2007. edition of "American Rifleman" has on page 17, the following statement in a Marlin ad. "EXTRA 7-SHOT CLIP WITH RIMFIRE MAGNUMS ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: For all you clip/magazine purists.

For all you clip/magazine purists.

The latest, April 2007. edition of "American Rifleman" has on page 17, the following statement in a Marlin ad.

"EXTRA 7-SHOT CLIP WITH RIMFIRE MAGNUMS - All clip-loading magnums are packed with a new 4-shot clip and come with an extra 7-shot magazine. The new 4-shot clip offers the benefit of a low profile when shooting from the bench or carrying in the field."

Hmmmmm!
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

2. Remove Ads

Language evolves. When I was a kid "ain't" wasn't word. I believe it is in the dictionary now.

Reguardless, I educate folks once then I just let it go. It's not worth it to me. Somefolks just rather stay wrong than admit they're wrong, which in a word is wrong.
    'The assailant chooses the time, location and method of attack.

Since they are unlikely to let you know ahead of time when, where and how violent they're going to be, you should always be prepared.' - matiki

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    If it's a "CLIP" it must function w/o a spring.

Your right >>> Hmmmmm ??? Or better still........the add was written AND proofread by >>> Hmmmmm ?? -----

Maybe it's time to just accept the use of "clip" as a synonym for "magazine". Not too many of us using stripper clips any more. Plus, you'd have to get some widely used sources to change their definitions. From the Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

Function: noun
    1 : any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2 : a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm
    3 : a piece of jewelry held in position by a clip

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Maybe it's time to just accept the use of "clip" as a synonym for "magazine". Not too many of us using stripper clips any more. Plus, you'd have to get some widely used sources to change their definitions. From the Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

1 : any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2 : a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm
    3 : a piece of jewelry held in position by a clip
    Well, if they define "clip" as "a magazine from which ammunition is fed..." that sort of implies that it is, in fact, a magazine, no?

Hey, if tomorrow half of the world started calling a cat a television, it would still be a cat to me...

And, as has been mentioned, just 'cause it was printed don't make it true...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Thats called bad marketing. That is a add that Marlin submitted to the publication. This only proves one thing. If your going to hire somebody to design your adds make sure that they know the technical terms for the pieces that your dealing with. Just because people work in the industry, in this case a major gun manufacturer, that doesn't mean they know the technical language or know how to shoot them.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Well, if they define "clip" as "a magazine from which ammunition is fed..." that sort of implies that it is, in fact, a magazine, no?

Hey, if tomorrow half of the world started calling a cat a television, it would still be a cat to me...

And, as has been mentioned, just 'cause it was printed don't make it true...
    Agreed.

I guess I am a "purist"/anal retentive. Clips are not magazines, and magazines ARE NOT clips anymore than semi-automatic firearms are "cop-killing, blood thirsty deadly assault weapons"!!

Now repeat after me...

This is my rifle, this is my gun..!!
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

im just baffled by how the word actually stuck with so many people, that the dictionary even reflects it now

from same dictionary:

Main Entry: assault rifle
    : any of various automatic or semiautomatic rifles with large capacity magazines designed for military use

VIP Member
    Hey, I found "irregardless" in a dictionary once. Of course, the definition was on word - "regardless," and the dictionary cautioned that it was a non-standard word and shouldn't be used, but there it was.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

As Montgomery Scott once said, "Aye, and if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon."
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Hey, I found "irregardless" in a dictionary once. Of course, the definition was on word - "regardless," and the dictionary cautioned that it was a non-standard word and shouldn't be used, but there it was.
    WOW!

As I was reading this thread, I was planning to mention that evil non-word above that so many people seem to think is a word. But you and that dictionary beat me to it, I guess.

I am frequently appalled at how often illiterate people are allowed to get into print and broadcast apparently with no proofreading. On my local AM radion station, advertisers submit copy for spots and the station doesn't seem to have anyone check them - they just produce and broadcast. It makes me cringe. You'd think that if you are paying to get your message out to the community, you might want to project an image of professionalism, which is completely destroyed by incorrect grammar.
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I had a friend that worked for a "higher end" (American)scope manufacturer. He was sitting at his desk one day when the chief add exec walked by and asked if he had seen the latest pic of their mounted scope that was gonna be released to 4 of the biggest shooting and hunting rags out there.

My friend said that he looked at the associated pic and something "just didn't seem to look right". Upon further "pondering",he discovered that the scope was mounted.........backasswards. It was also a 6X24 mounted on a Ruger #1H.

HUH ?????? -------

This FUBAR was caught about a microsecond before it went to press.

ya can only lead the horse to water ya can't make it drink

Clip, Magazine, I'm just glad to hear they now have a flush fitting 4 rounder. That 7 round magazine does protrude enough to be bothersome in the field and almost useless from the bench.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links