1st Range report for S&W 442

1st Range report for S&W 442

This is a discussion on 1st Range report for S&W 442 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Today I finally went to the range and shot my new 442. I have been dry firing it since last friday to try to break ...

Thread: 1st Range report for S&W 442

Smile 1st Range report for S&W 442

Today I finally went to the range and shot my new 442. I have been dry firing it since last friday to try to break in the Very Hard pull trigger. Anyway I shot 100 130gr target bullets, and 20 Federal 110gr low recoil Hydro shocks and Absolutely No Problems. Works Great. Now all I have to do is figure out how to use the sight to get a good and constant sight picture. I think the gun is broke in now the trigger is easier now compared to when I got the gun, but it still needs more range time. Hands do not hurt from so many shots. Thats good. Now just to get the accuracy down. Having a hard time with the Black Slopping Front site. I guess more practice. Anyways that is my range report and I am Very Glad that I bought it to have with or without my Taurus. I am Very Pleased. Jeff.
    Always Pack and Keep Your Groups Tight.

This might not work on a black front sight, but...

Numerous folks have painted their front sight a brighter color using model paints, sight paint and even fingernail polish. I picked one of the brightest, most contrasting colors of polish my wife has (after asking permission, of course), cleaned the sight with rubbing alcohol & applied the polish with a toothpick. I also used masking tape on the sides of the sight to keep mask off the sides before painting, but it really wasn't necessary. Works great & hasn't worn off in over 6 months of daily pocket carry - with a few range trips thrown in. Maybe a white paint would work in your case. And it shouldn't be a big deal to reapply if/when whatever you use does finally wear off.

Regarding the heavy trigger, I took the easy way out and sent it to a local gunsmith. About $100 later I had a much smoother working revolver with a much lighter trigger pull. One of these days I plan to disassemble it and do some polishing with fine grit sandpaper on those areas showing rubbing marks, but that day's not quite here yet. I've gained a bit of confidence after polishing the workings of my 30-30, but a revolver's a bit more intimidating.

Ok Cliffh. Thank you. I will have to go to Wally World tomorrow and see what colors they have. I am thinking something Florescent that might help in Low Light. Good luck in the future for polishing the innards of a revo. Have a Good Night. Jeff.
    Always Pack and Keep Your Groups Tight.

Its a great gun but I agree on the nasty sights. Steve48

Administrator
    The 442/642 sights are not really meant to be used all that much. Its a CQB gun. A bright front sight is helpful though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I just got a new 442, too...like it a lot. I'm tending to either point-shoot or look at the front sight only, which makes it a lot easier to see the large front sight blade; I just aim a little lower and try to keep the same relative sight picture every time. Only using the rear sight at 15+ meters out.

Let us know how the model paint works out.

Sponsored Links