What's involved to obtain a permit for full auto?

This is a discussion on What's involved to obtain a permit for full auto? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Great information guys. Thanks...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What's involved to obtain a permit for full auto?

Thumbs up

Great information guys. Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by APachon
    there are only 2 agents processing all the BATF class III applications for the entire US and if it is your first class III acquistion and the local constabulary signs off, it will take about a year right now to get your weapon. If you have already gone through the hoop for your class III, the next and each and every subsequent Class III is quicker.
    Is it really? Last I heard it was 3-6 months.
    "Its better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it"
    E Pluribus Unum

In Missouri you must have at least a C&R - but for ten bucks a year, what the heck.

As stated above - the license fee, tax stamp and cost of the firearm are only the beginning of the expense. Feeding the beast is not cheap.
    If you want to make God laugh - tell Him your plans. Yiddish proverb

Trader?
    If you're in Florida....you can own em, along with supressors..and such.. There are a lot of states that you may own NFA weapons. Some require you to get a special License as in Ma "license to Possess a MachineGun" I'm "grandfathered in" if I ever move back to Ma <but can't find a reason why> If you've been a "good boy" you'll get a signature from your Cheif, or local LEO on your Form 4. Once you have that, you'll need two sets of finger print cards done, two recent photos of yourself. and 200.00 for the Tax stamp. When you have all that <and you'll already have paid upwards of 5K to 20K for your "Advanced Weapon" <as you state that you're an "advanced weapons collector" on your Form 4> you'll then bring all this back to the dealer, and they will send it all out for you. It will probably take between 6 to 12 months to get the gun in your hands. <I had a MK760 SMG transfered to me within 13 days when I was a Massachusetts Resident> It's like Dunkin Donuts......worth the trip..good luck from another "Rock-N-Roll" fan

Talking

Yup, Floridians can certainly own them, and outside of Metro Dade area, your Sheriff will most likely sign. Read this... http://www.uzi-world.net/forums/showthread.php?t=185 Karl.
    Happiness is a warm UZI.
    UZI-World.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    1 thing that is a requirement is to not live in MI.

full auto substitute

I would check into Slide Fire. They have a special stock for AR15 and AK47 that shoot 800-900 round per minute. Still legal to own for now, and no special license.
    Lightweb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by remricky View Post
    I would check into Slide Fire. They have a special stock for AR15 and AK47 that shoot 800-900 round per minute. Still legal to own for now, and no special license.
    *Flame suit on*

In my opinion, those slide/bump fire stocks should be restricted as class III, they come very close to replicating full auto and are totally unrestricted. I'm honestly somewhat surprised that Holmes, who clearly planned his rampage extensively for months, didn't use one on the AR.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    *Flame suit on*

In my opinion, those slide/bump fire stocks should be restricted as class III, they come very close to replicating full auto and are totally unrestricted. I'm honestly somewhat surprised that Holmes, who clearly planned his rampage extensively for months, didn't use one on the AR.
    Just curious but why would you actually want a firearm restricted??? No flame but I dont get the reasoning. BGs get full autos if they want them whenever they want them. Why should a law abiding firearm owner be restricted in owning any firearm he wants including full auto??
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Just curious but why would you actually want a firearm restricted??? No flame but I dont get the reasoning. BGs get full autos if they want them whenever they want them. Why should a law abiding firearm owner be restricted in owning any firearm he wants including full auto??
    I don't subscribe to the "2A is an absolute right, no firearm restrictions of any kind" school of thought. I am against outright bans like the '94 AWB and the state versions, but restrictions on certain arms I am OK with, this is an example. It is true that most 'street' type BGs will get full auto if they seek it out, but some who seek weapons for nefarious purposes, i.e. Holmes, don't have anything remotely resembling those type of underworld connections. It's the same reason that I wouldn't be too perturbed by having the gun show loophole closed, I'll pass any background check out there, it is a mild annoyance but I can deal with that.

As it relates to slide/bump fire specifically, I'm a bit surprised that it hasn't been included in any of the gun control bills (AFAIK). This is probably since most are simply copies of the old AWB that some lazy junior staffer copied and pasted into the new bill.

One thing I should add also is that the slide/bump fire stock isn't a 'firearm' technically, it's a component, just like a full auto sear or trigger pack.

I don't subscribe to the "2A is an absolute right, no firearm restrictions of any kind" school of thought. I am against outright bans like the '94 AWB and the state versions, but restrictions on certain arms I am OK with, this is an example. It is true that most 'street' type BGs will get full auto if they seek it out, but some who seek weapons for nefarious purposes, i.e. Holmes, don't have anything remotely resembling those type of underworld connections. It's the same reason that I wouldn't be too perturbed by having the gun show loophole closed, I'll pass any background check out there, it is a mild annoyance but I can deal with that.

As it relates to slide/bump fire specifically, I'm a bit surprised that it hasn't been included in any of the gun control bills (AFAIK). This is probably since most are simply copies of the old AWB that some lazy junior staffer copied and pasted into the new bill.

One thing I should add also is that the slide/bump fire stock isn't a 'firearm' technically, it's a component, just like a full auto sear or trigger pack.
    Ok just curious as to the thinking. I can also pass any background check they want to throw at me. To me its more than a mild annoyance its a flat out violation of my rights and a useless feel good law that accomplishes nothing.
    But though I disagree its your right to think what you do about the issue.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

The slide/bump stock was included in Senator Feinstein's 2013 Assault Weapons Ban proposed bill........

Keep in mind it will not be "The People" that decide what weapons will be allowed it will be the politicians......

Agreeing to a ban on any type firearms violates the 2nd amendment.........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Sponsor
    I don't subscribe to the "2A is an absolute right, no firearm restrictions of any kind" school of thought. "Shall not be infringed" I am against outright bans like the '94 AWB and the state versions, but restrictions on certain arms I am OK with, this is an example. It is true that most 'street' type BGs will get full auto if they seek it out, but some who seek weapons for nefarious purposes, i.e. Holmes, don't have anything remotely resembling those type of underworld connections. It's the same reason that I wouldn't be too perturbed by having the gun show loophole closed, I'll pass any background check out there, it is a mild annoyance but I can deal with that.
    Until the PTB decide you won't

And who ever it was that said you could just drop a full auto sear in your AR is giving you instructions on how to involuntarily enter a federal detainment facility for a prolonged stay. That would be classified as manufacturing full auto weapon.

ETA: I'm going to have to do a bit more research on this. I was under the assumption that no full auto weapons could be modified or manufactured for civilian ownership after 1986. I have found at least one other source that makes this claim of a registered drop in auto sear being a legal though still expensive option.

FETA: I have gotten some limited confirmation that this a legal option, though no real explanation of how it is not manufacturing a post ban full auto weapon. Evidently the BATF sees the RDIAS(registered drop in auto sear) as the NFA item and it can be wrapped in any furniture you so desire(possibly including a non registered SBR?). Go figure.

They(RDIAS) are evidently still very expensive and hard to find.

You do realize that even if your fire arm goes full auto due to a malfunction, if the BATF determines that the Malf was caused caused by home modification gone wrong you can be found guilty of a felony? The BATF is the sole authority to determine the cause and assign the blame. Now this assumes that you get turned in or noticed when the malfunction happens but stranger things have happened.
    Last edited by luvmy40; April 17th, 2013 at 09:12 AM.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

You can own a full-auto weapon imported or manufactured before 1986 - if you live in a state that allows such ownership.
    Submit a Form 4 (Class III transfer) to the ATF, pay the $200 tax, then wait while they run a background check and either approve or disapprove your request. AFAIK they will approve any request of a properly completed form from a person who can pass a NICS check. It just takes about six months for them to do so. It's the exact same process as buying a suppressor and having it transferred.

As mentioned, some states require local CLEO signature, and some CLEO's are anti-gun. In that case, you can either form a revocable trust, or a corporation, and that entity becomes the owner. I believe that if a state allows FA ownership, they must allow ownership by a trust (preferred) or a corporation, but I'm not 100% on that.

What I do know is that here in Florida I (actually, the trust for which I am the trustee) can legally buy a Vietnam-era M16, or an HK G3, or a FA UZI Model A, or any other FA weapon, if I have the cash, and complete all the required steps.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by ccm-tim View Post
    The only challenge that you man run into is getting a local LEO chief to sign the form 4 (that is the ATF form that must be filled out to get the $200 tax stamp). I think it has to be your local police chief or county sheriff. The other thing that is a bummer is the loooonnnnggg wait.
    Note that the form does not require LEO "approval," it only states you are not "ineligible," No felonies or otherwise prohibitions, or no state/local statutes preventing ownership.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links