What's involved to obtain a permit for full auto?

This is a discussion on What's involved to obtain a permit for full auto? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just as a matter of curiosity, what's involved in obtaining a permit to own a full auto such as am AR-15. Can this permit be ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What's involved to obtain a permit for full auto?

What's involved to obtain a permit for full auto?

Just as a matter of curiosity, what's involved in obtaining a permit to own a full auto such as am AR-15. Can this permit be obtained by an average person oe does one need to be an LEO, dealer or collector?

2. Remove Ads

1952 - 2006
    Trader -- You don't say in your profile where you live, here in Nevada all that is required for full-auto or suppressed weapons is a $200 tax stamp and fill out the proper applications. No special license is required. Any citizen may possess any fully automatic or suppressed firearm.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

The only challenge that you man run into is getting a local LEO chief to sign the form 4 (that is the ATF form that must be filled out to get the $200 tax stamp). I think it has to be your local police chief or county sheriff. The other thing that is a bummer is the loooonnnnggg wait.

1943 - 2009
    And don't forget your name's new permanent home in the BATF database.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Lead Moderator
    Isn't this for C&R only? I didn't think civies could own modern FA weapons.

1952 - 2006
    Yes, they can in some states
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

National Firearms Act of 1934 set out the procedure for aquiring the transfer tax stamp from BATFE, a $200 expenditure, and forms up the wazoo, including from the Chief law Enforcement officer in your area, ie, sherriff. The wait is long, and the prices high, as the Machine Gun Ban of 1989 halted all civilian manufacture of transferrabl full auto. The older ones are all that is available, and prices go higher each day.
    NFA also applies to Short Barrelled, ie <16" for rifles, or <18 inches for shotguns, and Destructive Devices, such as mortars, tank guns, and ammunition for such. All legal to aquire, IF you could find something you could afford.
    There is a C&R NFA list, those that are C&R eligible but still require the BATFE tax stamp, such as the 25mm French Automatic cannon, and the German Pak40 75mm anti tank gun.....I want one.....don't have a CLUE what the heck I would do with it, but I wiant one.....
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    In MA you need a special machine gun license in addition to the Fed paperwork/tax. The MA license cost $100/4 years (might be 6 now, not sure).

BUT there are only two classes of people who legally qualify to get the license:
    - Certified police instructors, or
    - Collectors (C&R FFL qualifies)

And the license is strictly discretionary. Many chiefs of police will refuse to issue these licenses.

Mass Law prohibits ownership/possession of silencers.

I apologise, I forgot certain states further illegally restrict the access to NFA firearms....I live in AZ, which doesn't care one way or another, ias long as it's legal with the Feds. You can even carry your NFA firearms concealed with your AZ permit...res or non res, no difference...

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by armoredman
    I apologise, I forgot certain states further illegally restrict the access to NFA firearms....I live in AZ, which doesn't care one way or another, ias long as it's legal with the Feds. You can even carry your NFA firearms concealed with your AZ permit...res or non res, no difference...
    No apology necessary!

That's the value of these type questions and forums!

Each state has it's own laws and then they still do what they want regardless of the Law.

BTW, in MA no long arms can be carried on a public way unless cased or loaded in a vehicle (high-capacity long arms must be in a locked case) and NFA firearms can NOT be "carried" only exhibited or used at a range (otherwise cased and locked).

Basic rule of thumb in MA: If the MA Laws doesn't specifically allow something, it's illegal!

Another MA rule of thumb: If a MA Law requires a government official/agency to do something and they don't do it or don't due it within the time alloted in the law, there is no legal recourse to the aggrieved party. No penalties are incurred by the government official/agency for not doing their job!

VIP Member
    In Virginia just do the federal paperwork get the CLEO signature and get your FA. The tough part is finding somewhere to shoot it. Many ranges including my club do not allow FA firing. Its a noise issue and "good neighbor policy". I do know that in areas where the CLEOs aren't inclined to sign off people form corporations and the FAs are held by the corporation. This circumvents the CLEO signature as it is not required for a corporation.

-Scott-

You can't own a new Full-Auto weapon, it must be registered pre '86, but what you can do is buy a Drop in full auto Sear (must be registered, $200 Tax stamp, paperwork, month of waiting) and put that in your AR-15, they run around 10Grand, and up.
    You must transfer everything through a Class III FFL, who you should talk to before you set off to find all this stuff, because they might help you with paper work or finding a deal.

Full Auto is damn fun, but expesive, not just getting the weapon, but keeping it fed. And like Scott said, finding a place to shoot might be hard.
    "Its better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it"
    E Pluribus Unum

Was it 86? I keep thinking it was 89...oops.

Quote Originally Posted by armoredman
    Was it 86? I keep thinking it was 89...oops.
    The 89 one banned the importation of non sporting rifles
    "Its better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it"
    E Pluribus Unum

there are only 2 agents processing all the BATF class III applications for the entire US and if it is your first class III acquistion and the local constabulary signs off, it will take about a year right now to get your weapon. If you have already gone through the hoop for your class III, the next and each and every subsequent Class III is quicker.
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links