Silencers for HD, revisited

This is a discussion on Silencers for HD, revisited within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by HotGuns WOW. Good article. What will they think of next ? I dunno, but since my riot gun isn't usually the house ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silencers for HD, revisited

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    WOW.

Good article.

What will they think of next ?
    I dunno, but since my riot gun isn't usually the house gun, I wonder how much one of those monsters would add to my 28" barrelled 12ga.

Of course, with the serrated end, it appears to double as some sort of special "core sampling" bayonet.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    The sound and muzzle flash may encourage the BG or BGs who have not yet been hit to seek fame and fortune elsewhere.
    The noise and muzzle flash may have the same effect on BGs who've been hit. Many people who've been hit with a bullet fall down and give up without actually being physically stopped by their injury because of the psychological effect of being shot. They've seen all the movies and TV shows where being shot immediately takes you out of the fight, so that's how they respond. It a darkened room, using a gun with a supressor, the BG may not even realize he's been shot. We tend to concentrate on physically incapacitating a BG (through blood loss or damaging the central nervous system) but we shouldn't ignore the psychological dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    We tend to concentrate on physically incapacitating a BG (through blood loss or damaging the central nervous system) but we shouldn't ignore the psychological dimensions.
    A home invader or other gang-banger won't have that reaction. The 15-18 yo "wanna-be", maybe, but bangers routinely walk around with lead in them until it starts to suppurate, hurt too much, or they get shot again, and it disables them enough to go to the hospital. I've worked too many with "old holes" to put any faith in the idea.

Wink Duncan MACLEOD

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm with OPFOR again, there is a time and place for them. For HD purposes, I really dont think its a needed item at all.
    If I need to be that quiet, I'll use my razor sharp HIGHLANDER sword and tell the guy right before I slice his head off....THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE....!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

The huge booming report of your gun could actually work to your advantage. The BG may not believe that you are really gonna shoot, but that noise and any muzzle flash removes all doubt. Even if not hit, he and any of his friends may choose to seek fame and fortune elsewhere, since they are now the targets.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    If I need to be that quiet, I'll use my razor sharp HIGHLANDER sword and tell the guy right before I slice his head off....THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE....!
    Have a pair of swing blades for the same reason.

I guess it depends on the situation, if you have young children and do not want them to be frightened and possibly run out in the middle of you taking out the BGs then possibly a supressor would be a viable option. There are after all plenty of other fun uses for them, that could help warrent the cost.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

I think for general home defense it may well work against you in a many aspects, but on the other hand I can see myself making the decision to use mine in a few very specific circumstances within the home(example would be running into multiple attackers in different rooms during egress and not wanting to give too much of my position away to his buddies).
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Silencer=Bad for HD.

1) silencers aren't that silent. I've got 2 and you still hear the crack of the bullet very well with supersonic ammo.
    2) anything you use in homedefense will be held up in front of a jury of 12 peers. If you have something that looks, says, or is colored evil it may be used against you.
    3) Unless you have a really good can with a booster suppressors are not 100% reliable. My Tacitcal can had a pretty long break in period on my HK, and still has some hickups using .45 230 ball.
    4) My 9mm Evo can has the nielson in it which makes it very reliable but still I wouldn't want it to not work when I needed it to.
    5.) Alot of places have rules regarding class 3 items about how their being stored. Which means it must be in a locked container I wouldn't want to have to unlock a container to get a defense gun out.

6.) WHY not just use a pair of Electronic ear muffs.
    Electronic ear protection don't require a tax stamp
    when you put them on you can hear a mouse peeing on a moth ball in the backyard. (exageration) but litterally you can hear everythining in your house and most people breathing.
    If you have them on and you shoot you won't have to worry about loosing your hearing.

I've heard the argument well I don't know if I would want to put on a pair of muffs while someones n my home. I am loosing time.

Okay WHAT ever the Tactical advantage you gain from putting on the electronic ear muffs vs. the .5 a second it takes to put them on is a huge difference. Plus most people who use this argument are thinking they are 100% a wake and their instantly going to pull their gun confront the attacker at the foot of their bed and be 100% tactically sound is a gross misinterpretation. Yet at the same time they are willing to forgo the ear mouths in place of a reverse thread muffler to put on the front of their gun. (Which sometimes takes me 30 seconds in leiu of .5 secs with the muffs. Frankly, to avoid shooting a bystander I would want to more awake and more prepapared, and understanding as to whats around me then jumping up firing shots at shadowy figures with only being awake for 5 seconds.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Most attackers or criminals or bullies when they meet someone who stands up to them expecially somebody using lethal force, they tend to back down and run like little scared dogs with their tale between their legs. If you are protecting your home right, by that I mean not CLEARING your house and becomeing the prey to the hunter, but creating a bottle neck (safe room or area) that a BG has to come through in order to get to you and your loved ones (making you the hunter and them the hunted), not to mention if you go clearing houses now in some areas it looks like your trying to start something thats bad.. Most 2nd bad guys aren't going to go through that bottle neck after he just saw his partner get hosed.

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I think for general home defense it may well work against you in a many aspects, but on the other hand I can see myself making the decision to use mine in a few very specific circumstances within the home(example would be running into multiple attackers in different rooms during egress and not wanting to give too much of my position away to his buddies).
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    2) anything you use in homedefense will be held up in front of a jury of 12 peers. If you have something that looks, says, or is colored evil it may be used against you.
    Then don't use a firearm. They are all evil and scarey.

From a purely practical standpoint, yes, a can makes sense. If you're legal to own one, the question is whether you're willing to surrender it as evidence, if you use it. If you're licensed, you've had a REAL FBI check, your local LE signed off, and you're printed. Unless you use a PD, your attorney will eat the prosecution- if you shouldn't have had the can, why did the chief LEO of your area allow it? Etc., etc.,..

The argument that a supressor doesn't effectively (quantifiably and qualitatively) diminish signature, especially from someone supposedly owning one is absurd. "Ballistic crack", especially from a HG, is nothing like unattenuated muzzle blast.

My point was don't give the otherside anymore ground to stand on then they already have. I agree with you a gun is a gun is a gun and shouldn't matter if its black, yellow or blue with purple pocadots. It should be, if your being threatened attacked, and your within your right to use deadly force it shouldn't matter what your gun, looks, smells, sounds, or acts like. But thats not reality.

I use a gun most commonly used by law enforcement, nothing more! Don't use a expensive pistol or something that is all tricked out with all the safeties pinned or removed.

Example: True story
    HK import plant Chantilly VA 1984.

HK Employee uses Ruger AAC 556 full auto in self defense. After he was chased from West Virginia to his work in Chantilly VA. Talk about a flee plee, well I only ran away for 60 miles and the guy put bullet holes in the back of my car, wife was pregnant and after trying to get in to a secured facility,(HK) I used my machine gun in self defense. The lawyer even said "BECAUSE" he used a machine gun in self Defense he was going to be tried for capital murder. He ended up loosing his job a crap load of money. I think their was even a statement in that article saying "If he used a Browning Superpous instead it would have made things alot differen't"

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post

From a purely practical standpoint, yes, a can makes sense. If you're legal to own one, the question is whether you're willing to surrender it as evidence, if you use it. If you're licensed, you've had a REAL FBI check, your local LE signed off, and you're printed. Unless you use a PD, your attorney will eat the prosecution- if you shouldn't have had the can, why did the chief LEO of your area allow it? Etc., etc.,..

The argument that a supressor doesn't effectively (quantifiably and qualitatively) diminish signature, especially from someone supposedly owning one is absurd. "Ballistic crack", especially from a HG, is nothing like unattenuated muzzle blast.
    Last edited by Rob99VMI04; May 29th, 2007 at 10:05 AM.

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    My home defense Mossberg 835 is already super huge, and I think if someone's attacking me in my home, my hearing is the least of my concerns.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Have you ever shot one indoors? I Shot my AAC Tactical can on an indoor shooting range while the can was wet, and there was a pretty load sound of the bullet hitting the back stop. Yes the initial sound was cut down but the load pinging sound that was ring in my ear wasn't cool. I take that to kind of like throwing a shoe against the wall as hard as you can, if you did that in a house it wouldn't be very quiet. PS They don't really sound like Muffled crickets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links