A great day shooting!!

A great day shooting!!

This is a discussion on A great day shooting!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Got together with some fellow gunnuts on Friday, one of them is my buddy from a small coastal town with almost as many Grizzlies as ...

Thread: A great day shooting!!

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar

A great day shooting!!

Got together with some fellow gunnuts on Friday, one of them is my buddy from a small coastal town with almost as many Grizzlies as residents!!! He is the “Bear defense guy” for a Government Department and had just finished his 1 week shotgun course at the Police Academy, the other two were a Geologist and prospector working in Russia and up North. These 3 guys all have their “Authorizations To Carry” (ATC) This is about as close to a carry permit for handguns most Canadians can get. All of them use the .454 Casull as their side arms, although 1 guy also uses a Glock 10mm. In addition they all carry shotguns and large bore Leverguns.

I brought my .45 Commander and 226 in 9mm, plus my 2 shotguns. Spent the morning shooting slugs and handguns, then we shot clays (most of mine went free!) All of them said that shooting clays is excellent training for bear defense, as it speeds up your reflexes and your gun handling. My friend also had a Specops stock on his 14” 870, WOW! What a difference it made, shooting 3” magnum slugs felt like a light loaded 2 ¾” . I have one on order, can’t wait to get it now!! In the afternoon we did some malfunction drills with the shotguns including double feeds on the 870 and reverse loaded rounds. It seems the 590 is easier to clear these malfunctions than the 870. Also noted that the Norinco 870 clone uses the older feed ramp style that makes it harder to clear the malfunction.

One guy had to leave early as his wife was giving birth!!!! (boy, 7lbs 3 ounces, congrats to him)

I stayed out in the area after we finished and then went to an indoor range that night for IPSC skills and drills with my instructor, great time was had by all, lots of holster work and shooting on the move. The guy beside me had accidentally loaded a .40cal round into his 9mm 226 mag and the round became jammed, took him some time to clear it. Also my Instructor was shooting his fairly new SW M&P when it fired out of battery!!! Turned out a piece of brass had jammed the firing pin in the forward position, luckily the only damage was some powder burns on his hand.

It was an 18 hr day from when I left till I got home, but had a great time despite the rain!

some pics

JD
    Administrator

Question

The 870 with the Knoxx stock, what's the barrel length?

14" and my friend can outshoot me from either shoulder!!

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    14" and my friend can outshoot me from either shoulder!!
    What's the capacity with a 14" bbl?

Looks like a lot of fun!!! Steve48

You have daylight in March in Canada???
    I thought you didn't get daylight until May.

Seriously though, nice collection and it sounds like an awesome day.

You guys are really lucky those short barrelled shotguns didn't run off on their own and start killing babies.

Here in the US, we are responsible and make sure people pay an extra tax that keeps the children safe.

Assistant Administrator
    Good day out Colin ......... it's good to see you guys getting some firearms enjoyment.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

What kind of stock is the sticky green one?
    -Biker

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Every time I try to open the pictures, IE locks up. That sucks. Looks like great shots, though!
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I think he gets 4x3" slugs into the 14". My friend had a 12" he was trialing for work, but felt that there is to much danger of a new shooter sliding their hands in front of the barrel. He thinks he may make the issue ones with a guard or strap for the forestock. He plans to issue them to Fish biologists and students walking the salmon streams (Salmon= hunger and annoyed Grizzlies!!) He wanted me to try the Sepc-ops stock because I am a recoil wussy and he is a mutant that does not seem to notice recoil! Based on my report and his trials his plan is to issue 14" 870's with Spec ops stock and loaded with 2 3/4" Brenenke slugs (They are a harder lead and don't deform as fast, which give better penetration) He is still trialing the sabot rounds out of the 14" but hasn't decided if they will be issued.
    The funky green stock is just funky paint with texture, Krylon paint I think.

Another tip they gave me is that if you buy a .454 go with no more than a 6" barrel as it becomes a pain to sit in a helicopter or truck with anything longer.

Now I must go reload more bullets!!!

Sponsored Links