A true combat pistol and new addition to family, a 1911A1 story.

This is a discussion on A true combat pistol and new addition to family, a 1911A1 story. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So the other day I'm at a shop and I here this guy ask the clerk if he buys guns, the clerk asks what he ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A true combat pistol and new addition to family, a 1911A1 story.

JD [OP]
    Administrator

Talking A true combat pistol and new addition to family, a 1911A1 story.

So the other day I'm at a shop and I here this guy ask the clerk if he buys guns, the clerk asks what he has and the gentleman responds with "Two old .22 rifles and a .45 Auto."

Well I don't know about any of you guys but when I hear .45 Auto, I look to see what's going on.

The clerk tells the guy to go ahead and bring them in. The gentleman has to be in his mid eighties and my heart skips a beat when he walks in with an old WWI flap holster, I ask the man if I can see the
    .45 and he hands me the holster.

What he was calling a .45 Auto, turned out to be an Ithaca 1911A1 with U.S. Markings I immediately asked him if this was his during the war, he then told me a story about being shot down over Germany with this on his hip, he was the navigator of a B17 and was eventually "captured" by the Russians(yes I said Russians).

He didn't go into too many details and I didn't pry too much other than asking if he had any family that may be intereseted in the 1911. He said no, and that he had no need for it anymore and asked if I knew anything about the gun. I told him that I knew a little and that the WWII guns were bringing in a good price these days. He asked if I thought if he could get $600 for it, I proudly showed him the Ramington Rand up for sale in the case for $1900 and advised him not to take anything under $1000.

By now the clerk is giving me the evil eye and tells the man that the Ithaca is correct and that he can give him $750 for it, but he could sell it for around $1000.00 of course he offers to take it on consignment, but the man turned him down and waited outside. After a few moments I purchased my ammo and headed outside, the man was still there and we chatted for a few moments, he told me that he had someone coming to look at the gun on Wednesday, but if I wanted it he would take $1000 for it. Well I couldn't pass on it, I ran off to the bank and we headed back into the store. And now after all my rambling (Limatunes is the writer, not me) Here are the pics.

I greatly thanked him for his service as his kind are of a dying breed, he told his story like he was just out to Germany to pick up milk and eggs.

The insides were a little gummy, probably some oil and dirt from before I was born, but everything was in perfect order, I've seen used guns of recent manufacture in worse shape, the checkering of the plastic grips is still nice and sharp, the bore is still good, no pitting or crud build up of anysorts.

This gun represents a very important time in our history and I am glad to be the owner of it.

2. Remove Ads

Congrats on the fine 1911 and piece of history

Is the trigger checkered or is it just the pics?

Wow!! very nice. At a $1000, its a steal. Exept for some finish wear, it looks like its in good condition.

My grampas little brother used to play cowboys & indians with scrap Remington Rand frames, that were thrown in the dumpster.

Lead Moderator
    Wow, great buy.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Man! what a find. That is a sure keeper, and the price was reasonable considerading the condition. I hope it remains in it's as-issued condition . I'm soooo jealous.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    Congrats on the fine 1911 and piece of history

Is the trigger checkered or is it just the pics?
    Checkered

As for the finish wear, at 60+ years old and having been "used" I think it's perfect.

Have to get OD in on this but i ahve never seen a checkerd trigger

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    Have to get OD in on this but i ahve never seen a checkerd trigger
    After closer observation, I don't think checkered is quite the right term, more like a dotted stippling I guess.

Also, everyone says that the Military 1911s were so loose in slide to frame fit, this one is about as tight as the series 70 that I had, and the fitting on the rear of the slide over the ejector and around the extractor is superb as well as the rails, there is a slight wabble, but some people make it out to be much worse than it is.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Congratulations. I am probably stirring the pot here... but when does Lima get her new gun? =P

JD [OP]
    Administrator

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Jchoo View Post
    Congratulations. I am probably stirring the pot here... but when does Lima get her new gun? =P
    I think PA would consider this "joint" property, or atleast Lima will, I'm sure sooner or later I'll hear "Honey where's my Ithaca?"

Then I will have to buy her a Springer EMP to get it back. Maybe then I can have the Mustang back as well.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    Then I will have to buy her a Springer EMP to get it back. Maybe then I can have the Mustang back as well.
    Fat chance. Once a woman adopts something, you'll never get it back. I swear, every time I look in my dresser drawers, there's another T-shirt or set of pajama pants missing. I look into the living room, and there it is... on my wife.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Can you track this guy down? If you can you might get him to put what he told you in writing and have it notarized. Not that you want to sell it but it would certainly up the value and keep the history correct!!!!!!
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jchoo View Post
    Awww.. I was thought of!!

I was pretty surprised when I got a phone call on Friday saying, "Okay, you need to hear this," and off he goes with the story he just told all of you... "So, I'm buying it," he says.

"Oh, thanks for asking." I say and laugh. He was like little kid at Christmas.

I'm telling you great deals come looking for HIM. It's seriously miraculous.

I just can't wait till he gets it home and I can see it.

Our new adopted child will have a warm welcome but I think he's going to get special treatment considering his difficult childhood. I think some of the other children might get jealous.

As far as guns for me are concerned.. I'm content for now.

BUT.. If he REALLY wanted to spoil me he could get be a BARRETT .50 BMG...

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnutty View Post
    Can you track this guy down? If you can you might get him to put what he told you in writing and have it notarized. Not that you want to sell it but it would certainly up the value and keep the history correct!!!!!!
    That's all ready in the works

Administrator
    I had a very similar story happen to me about five years ago.
    A older guy came into the office and asked if I would destroy an old gun. He said he broke it all down, and wanted it destroyed.
    I walked out to his car with him to get the gun, and he had two paper bags on the front seat of his Cadi. I opened up the bags and about fell over. It was a Singer 1911. Then he produced two boxes of ammo stamped 1944 in the OG paper boxes and wrap.
    We talked it over, and he agreed to give me the gun, as long as I promised to respect it for what it was. Well, that went without saying. I told him of my back round and the deal was sealed.
    He had carried it through out WW2, he was a Ranger and fought in the European theater. I tried to talk him out of giving it away, and save it for his family. He told me that they were all "wimps" and wanted no such thing from him. He said his days were numbered and he wanted to make sure the gun did not fall into the wrong hands.
    I did offer to pay for the gun, he said "No, Kid, I got plenty. I cant spend it when I'm gone."
    It was a sad thing on one hand, but I was tickled to get such a gem in my collection. It was almost surreal.
    The Singer now resides in a safe deposit box and as soon as I figure out a way to keep it secure, I am going to put it in a shadow box with all kinds of 75 Reg. memorabilia given to me.

Treat yours well, it is a peice of history. They are getting scarce.
    Last edited by SIXTO; March 26th, 2007 at 10:56 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links