What else can one work on at a range?

This is a discussion on What else can one work on at a range? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Since many times the dominant hand is disabled during or sometimes before a gun fight, I suggest practicing one handed with the weak hand. Night ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What else can one work on at a range?

Since many times the dominant hand is disabled during or sometimes before a gun fight, I suggest practicing one handed with the weak hand.

Night fire, point shooting are both good things to be good at. Especially point shooting.

May I say by the way that after reading many of your posts Miss Tunes, that I have come to the realization that, next to my wife, you are just about the perfect woman. Good shot, carry religiously, know what you are doing and how to take care of yourself. just like my wife. But, what puts my wife out ahead by just a hair or two....I love her. That and she had the good sense to marry me.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    0.02, You aren't kidding about the comfort zone thing. The first time I went to the range by myself I was very uncomfortable. I had almost always gone with my brother, or with at least my husband, but I was completely thrown out of my comfort zone and I had to rely entirely on myself. It was good for me, and every time I go by myself I feel more confident.. On to the next challenge!!

Glock'em, Night fire.. hmmm.. it's hard to find any place that will allow for that. Any suggestions?

produman, I like the idea of doing mag changes in a dark closet. That is one of my problems, I always have to look and it's never as smooth as I would like.

Sig P239, Thanks for the compliment! (where's the blushing smiley face when you need it?)

I've decided that I anticipate the recoil too much on the first one-two shots of every magazine (that's the little flyers you're seeing in the picture (well, except for the head shots.. those were intentional)) and I need to work on that. I want consistency. I'm going to stay at around 9 yards until I can get the consistency I want and then work up.

My arms are tired now..lol.

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Glock'em, Night fire.. hmmm.. it's hard to find any place that will allow for that. Any suggestions?
    Find yourself an OUTDOOR range somewhere. Statistics show that most (if not ALL) armed encounters happen in low light conditions or total darkness!

Also...

I know you carry a cell phone. Christ...EVERY woman I know carries a cell phone...but what about an extra magazine? A tactical flashlight? A tactical folding knife? If you have made the UBER-RESPONSIBLE decision to carry a LOADED WEAPON IN PUBLIC, then carrying an extra mag, a good reliable flashlight (SureFire E2e is PERFECT!) and a tactical folding knife should be held with the same importance!

If you're gonna carry like the big boys, you gotta do it all the way or not at all! An assailant TRYING TO KILL YOU ain't gonna take pity on ya - neither will I!

I may sound like a cold *******...but...carrying a loaded, DEADLY gun for self-defense is cold ******* work!

...are you ready?

Wow GED, it's always interesting when you get involved in a discussion.

There are low-light tactical classes ran at night at most training venues.

As for the accessories, GED is absolutely correct. Might be time to buy a BatBelt?

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    Wow GED, it's always interesting when you get involved in a discussion.

As for the accessories, GED is absolutely correct. Might be time to buy a BatBelt?
    Well, I can't really appologize for saying the things I do, because THIS IS cold ******* work! Carrying a firearm is a HUGE responsiblity! One that should never, EVER be taken lightly! If I have offended limatunes, or you or anybody else - tuff! If you don't have thick skin - GET SOME! Before somebody takes your gun away from you and shoves it where the light don't shine!

Now I'll shut up before somebody goes off crying to a moderator and gets me banned!

...just something to think about...
    Last edited by Team American; March 28th, 2007 at 11:16 AM. Reason: language modification...

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    Find yourself an OUTDOOR range somewhere. Statistics show that most (if not ALL) armed encounters happen in low light conditions or total darkness!

Also...

I know you carry a cell phone. Christ...EVERY woman I know carries a cell phone...but what about an extra magazine? A tactical flashlight? A tactical folding knife? If you have made the UBER-RESPONSIBLE decision to carry a LOADED WEAPON IN PUBLIC, then carrying an extra mag, a good reliable flashlight (SureFire E2e is PERFECT!) and a tactical folding knife should be held with the same importance!

If you're gonna carry like the big boys, you gotta do it all the way or not at all! An assailant TRYING TO KILL YOU ain't gonna take pity on ya - neither will I!

I may sound like a cold *******...but...carrying a loaded, DEADLY gun for self-defense is cold ******* work!

...are you ready?
    All outdoor ranges around here close at sundown and, again, the pistol range at the outdoor range is down (as in, it doesn't exist right now). People also tend to call the police when they hear strange gunfire in the middle of the night.

To carry all that on my little frame I would need a utility belt.. I wonder if batman has one to spare?!?!
    Yes, I carry a cell phone, and when I can manage, an extra mag. I've looked all over for mag pouches that would fit on my small frame and not print worse than my gun, but no luck so far, the last ones I tried made me look like I had two additional ribs. My shoulder holster has a mag pouch and I always carry an extra mag in that. Therefore, I've deliberately purchased pants with large pockets for spare mags.

I do have a Kershaw flip assist knife that I carry, no flashlight unless I am going out at night, but when out at night I do take it. I've already needed it, used it, loved it. When I go to bed (if hubs is gone) I go with my Kimber, my cell phone and a tactical flashlight (if he's home the flashlight goes on his bedside stand and the cell phone goes on mine).

I practice drawing with snap caps at home, I practice drawing both my tactical flashlight and Kimber at the same time at night, when I'm alone. I practice moving, taking cover, all of that. I practice clearance drills, I take down and clean my own weapons. I take the responsibility of my carry very seriously.

And yes, sir, I am ready! My goal is to be the most effective carrier I can be. I am always looking for training, suggestions, and guidance. I told my husband I would not carry if I wasn't fully prepared for it (mentally, tactically, physically, emotionally) and I'll stick to that. I'll never be perfect, but darn if I won't try my hardest.
    Last edited by limatunes; March 27th, 2007 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    Well, I can't really appologize for saying the things I do, because THIS IS cold ******* work! Carrying a firearm is a HUGE responsiblity! One that should never, EVER be taken lightly! If I have offended limatunes, or you or anybody else - tuff! If you don't have thick skin - GET SOME! Before somebody takes your gun away from you and shoves it where the light don't shine!

Now I'll shut up before somebody goes off crying to a moderator and gets me banned!

...just something to think about...
    You didn't offend me, at all.
    I just don't use smilies or LOLs so nobody ever knows if I am joking or not.

My point was that you tell it like it is, no BS and no frosting on top, your posts are a good read.
    Last edited by Team American; March 28th, 2007 at 11:17 AM. Reason: language...

Senior Moderator
    Didn't offend me either.

You can get gun holsters with an integral mag holster, that would help with hiding a spare mag.

Senior Moderator
    I've done a little low light shooting back in Wisconsin with my brother, but mostly only with rifles. A FEW pistols, and so I've at least been "exposed" to it.

Maybe the concealed weapons class I'm going to this fall will have something on that. (I hope, I hope)

Senior Moderator
    You can get gun holsters with an integral mag holster, that would help with hiding a spare mag.
    Yeah, I got this for the .380 but not for the Kimber. It works REALLY well for the .380, but the .380 isn't my primary. Holsters are something that I'm always looking for. A good, concealable, holster for me is a little tricky to find.

I'm glad I didn't offend anybody. I'm really not here to do that (even though I have a few) but like .02 said - I tell it like it is! It's a cold world out there! I've been a cop for almost 18 years! I've seen it all, I've heard it all. I've been in anykind of scenario you can think of. I am not a braggar - just a dumb cop that has seen more vile ***** than I really wanted to, but had to deal with it because it's fallen into my lap. I'm really a happy guy with a fabulous sense of humor! Sure, the job has made me a little cold and a little bitter, but the art of pistolcraft is a passion of mine that I take very seriously! You CAN NOT sugar coat it and be effective when trying to save your own butt or somebody else's!

Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by Team American; March 28th, 2007 at 11:30 AM. Reason: language...

VIP Member
    These are the trainin drill that a friend of mine uses (and I should also).I won't use his full name because I haven't asked him for permission and he can kick my butt seven ways from Sunday.

Check with your range to see if the movements are allowed or adapt it to follow the Range's rules & regulations.

Static Range Drills

by S. B-D

Practice session - 300 Rounds*

Exercise #1

50 rounds - 25 yards - Draw and fire 2 shots. Your objective is to shoot as fast as possible but still get A zone hits. Do a tactical reload before reholstering to practice this maneuver as well.

Exercise #2

50 rounds - 7 yards - Draw and fire 6 shots into A zone as fast as possible (under 3 seconds is a good time). Keep practicing your tactical reloads.

Exercise #3

50 rounds - 10 yards - Load 3 rounds into each magazine. Draw and fire 2 shots to the body and 1 to the head, perform a tactical reload or reload with retention and fire 2 more shots to the body and 1 to the head. This drill works on transition from a bigger “aggressive target” to a smaller “accurate shot” type target.

Exercise #4

50 rounds - 7 yards - Put 2 targets out. Load 4 rounds into each magazine. Draw and fire 2 shots at each target, perform a slide lock reload and engage each target again with 2 shots.

Exercise #5

40 rounds - 7 yards - Start with gun in weak (support) hand at low-ready. On the signal, raise the gun and fire 2 shots.

Exercise #6

50 rounds - 7 yards - Draw and fire 2 shots with your strong hand only.

Exercise #7

10 rounds - 25 yards - Fire 10 rounds for bull's-eye. Take your time and make each shot count. Concentrate on breathing, trigger control, and sight alignment.

*If you are pressed for time and/or ammo money like most of us, you may also divide each required round count into.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    To carry all that on my little frame I would need a utility belt.. I wonder if batman has one to spare?!?!
    Have you considered carrying some of that stuff in your purse? Carrying a firearm off body is obviously a lot less desirable (leave it someplace, somebody might snatch it, etc.) but those factors don't seem to loom nearly as large for, say, a flashlight. For a knife or an extra mag, carrying them on your person would be better, but one in the purse is certainly better than none at all! Women CCWers face a lot of problems in effectively carrying on their person (you seem to be doing an admirable job), compared to men. However, it seems like you gals have an advantage when it comes to the various non-gun gear!

Administrator
    I just skimmed the other posts, so sorry if I'm repeating what someone else said.

What about malfunction drills? Mix up you snap caps and live ammo in your mags and go to the range.

How about multiple targets? You can do this on any range with a single lane. The goal is to get you used to moving from target to target and not getting tunnel vison on one target. Hang a paper plate on one side of the hanger, and another on the other. Move side to side, just line up the sights and press one, and move to the next. This will improve just about teverything in your combat shooting.

If your range has any leagues or games, play! Pins is a great game to improve your skills, as well as falling steel. An IDPA is best, but the simple games will improve the basics more.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links