What else can one work on at a range?

This is a discussion on What else can one work on at a range? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Lima, Inova is offering some new, smaller, lights. My preference is still the X5, but anylight is better than none. You can carry one in ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What else can one work on at a range?

Lima, Inova is offering some new, smaller, lights. My preference is still the X5, but anylight is better than none. You can carry one in your front jeans pocket, offside, with a monkeys-fist "key-fob" dangling out for access. I would suggest horizontal carry for a 1 mag reload, maybe a double-mag carrier loose or Velcroed to the inside of your purse.

You might want to see what "jsmatos", over on totalprotectioninteractive.com suggests, as well.

2. Remove Ads

Lots of great suggestions for drills but I don’t think anyone suggested doing them with a timer to add pressure to the drill and to have some way to track improvement.

http://www.pact.com/homepage.html

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Lima, Inova is offering some new, smaller, lights. My preference is still the X5, but anylight is better than none. You can carry one in your front jeans pocket, offside, with a monkeys-fist "key-fob" dangling out for access. I would suggest horizontal carry for a 1 mag reload, maybe a double-mag carrier loose or Velcroed to the inside of your purse.

You might want to see what "jsmatos", over on totalprotectioninteractive.com suggests, as well.
    http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/.../803/sesent/00
    http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?...OD&ProdID=1106

I'd probably go with the QIII from Amondotech myself, just for the price difference. It's gotten good reviews, and you absolutely can't beat their prices on batteries. Either one of these lights is tiny enough to fit in any pocket or purse.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    What about malfunction drills? Mix up you snap caps and live ammo in your mags and go to the range.
    That's a really good idea! Thanks! I think I'll have to have someone else load my mag in order for that to be as effective as it should be, however. If I knew where I put them in the mag then I would anticipate them and it wouldn't be a surprise. I'm in the good habit of counting my rounds as I fire so I know when the gun is empty before I waste a second trying to pull the trigger again.

I do a ton of clearance drills at home. I cock and fire my gun over and over again with the snap caps and my husband suddenly yells "misfire" and I have to clear. Sometimes he does it three or four times in a row, sometimes he waits for about 30 "shots." I never know when he's going to yell it, so that's helpful. We'll do that for a good hour or more, over and over again until my arms are killing me. I've never done it with live fire in between though, so I'll have to try that.

How about multiple targets? You can do this on any range with a single lane. The goal is to get you used to moving from target to target and not getting tunnel vison on one target. Hang a paper plate on one side of the hanger, and another on the other. Move side to side, just line up the sights and press one, and move to the next. This will improve just about teverything in your combat shooting.
    I have done multiple targets before (five targets, varying distances, spread out), both while running, and stationary, and finding cover and mag changes, and all of that. I really enjoyed what that taught me. I did some double taps last night between head and chest, also switched between my primary and backup. I certainly have to do more.

If your range has any leagues or games, play! Pins is a great game to improve your skills, as well as falling steel. An IDPA is best, but the simple games will improve the basics more.
    IDPA would be so much fun (and educational). I've never heard of pins, but as I got talking with the range master last night he did tell me about some of the "nights" they have and gave me a schedule. I'll have to look it over and see if they have anything "special" (other than Glock night which he was raving about, because he's a glock carrier )
    Last edited by limatunes; March 28th, 2007 at 01:21 PM.

Administrator
    I am refering to Bowling Pins, its rather fun. What they do is set up five pins on a table. The table is just a 4x8 sheet of plywood set up on saw horses or metal stands made for the purpose.
    Depending on class and caliber, they set the pins on the front edge of the table or all the way back. Your goal is to knock the pins off the table as fast as possible.
    Its loads of fun, and teachs a lot of the basic pistol craft one needs to be effective. They have rifle, carbine and shotgun classes too. I have more fun doing it with a .22 now.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes
    I practice clearance drills, I take down and clean my own weapons. I take the responsibility of my carry very seriously.

And yes, sir, I am ready! My goal is to be the most effective carrier I can be. I am always looking for training, suggestions, and guidance. I told my husband I would not carry if I wasn't fully prepared for it (mentally, tactically, physically, emotionally) and I'll stick to that. I'll never be perfect, but darn if I won't try my hardest.
    I think I need you to talk to my wife:)
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I am refering to Bowling Pins, its rather fun. What they do is set up five pins on a table. The table is just a 4x8 sheet of plywood set up on saw horses or metal stands made for the purpose.
    Depending on class and caliber, they set the pins on the front edge of the table or all the way back. Your goal is to knock the pins off the table as fast as possible.
    Its loads of fun, and teachs a lot of the basic pistol craft one needs to be effective. They have rifle, carbine and shotgun classes too. I have more fun doing it with a .22 now.

That does sound like fun!!

If only ammo were free!

A lot of great responses here, and some drills that I have "forgotten" that I need to re-apply to my schedule.

I couldn't help to notice this part of one of your posts:
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    The range master picks the lanes which annoys me cause he always picks one next to the window to "keep an eye on me." Maybe after another three months of doing this he'll realize that I kind of do know what I'm doing and he doesn't have to babysit me. When my husband is with me he puts us in the back...lol.
    Ever consider the thought that they aren't necessarilly "babysitting" so much as "admiring"? I know there is little that gets my attention at the range than a female shooting, let alone one that fires most anything bigger than a .22lr. Doesn't hurt any when they are easy on the eyes either (judging by the picture you posted later on kind of gives this a little more tooth).

I miss one of my old "range buddies" (more like a "shooting into a hill side in the middle of the desert buddy") from when I lived in Nevada. To look at her you would see this mousy little girl that was maybe 120 soaking wet, fully clothed, with a pocket full of change. The demon that lie beneath had carried a fullsize 1911 and could shoot. The first time we went shooting, I had my gun and only a couple hundred rounds, and when she showed up empty handed, I thought "Well, so much for any serious shooting." That's when she got a bag of ammo out of the trunk of her car, and produced the 1911 from some place on her person that still befuddles me to this day. I had no idea that she had it on her at all. If I hadn't been married at the time....hey, a guy can dream...right?
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by purple88yj View Post
    Ever consider the thought that they aren't necessarilly "babysitting" so much as "admiring"? I know there is little that gets my attention at the range than a female shooting, let alone one that fires most anything bigger than a .22lr. Doesn't hurt any when they are easy on the eyes either (judging by the picture you posted later on kind of gives this a little more tooth).
    You may be right here and I'll admit I have some pieces of a chip I carried a long time ago still clinging to my shoulder.

There was plenty of basis for that chip, and some remnants remain that will be purged with time.

I won't go into it now, but I'm just thankful that there are more open minded, accepting people around than some I have come across in my journey from there to here.

This is a great community!

I'll admit, a good looking gal with a gun does kind of bring out the Barbie mindset in most guys (the whole "shooting is a man thing"), and don't take female shooters seriously. I know I didn't take Kelley seriously when I saw her, and when she pulled that canon (against her frame a PPK would look like a canon) out from under her shirt, I kind of had the same mindset. When she let of a stream of lead into an area the size of a baseball at about 35 feet, she got my attention. From that point on, I let the Barbie thing go. She taught me a few things that day.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Senior Moderator

range report.. again

Okay, just had another night at the range.

Not only am I shooting even better, but I was offered a job.

Free range time if I take it...

My target tonight with a 3" barrel at 10 yards.....

What I practiced tonight was doing mag changes from the mag pouch on my left hip. It made mag changes so much smoother, and by the end of the night I was changing mags SOOO much faster than I have before. So, that's one more step in the right direction.

I don't know if it's me or the gun, but I am very consistently shooting high and to the left. I'm not really complaining though.

VIP Member
    Here is something to look at for your shot placement.

http://www.targetshooting.ca/docs/Pi...t_Analysis.pdf

Assuming your sites are aligned for the ammo you are using of course.

I've had ammo change the point of impact (POI) for a given gun.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Senior Moderator
    Scott, Thanks for the Analysis Chart... looking at it I was wondering if you know what all the terminology meant?

According to the chart I am "trigger pushing" and/or "Pushing: Anticipating Recoil." As far as the anticipating the recoil thing, I knew that but I think I've done a LOT better. Do you know what these terms mean?

Thanks

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Find a local IPDA club like I did and go and compete. You will be able to shoot your pistol in defensive type scenarios.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Senior Moderator
    Thanks for the suggestion, Doc. I would love to get into that and I've been looking at it recently. The training value would be fabulous.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links