What else can one work on at a range?

What else can one work on at a range?

This is a discussion on What else can one work on at a range? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay, so I'm trying to make a habit out of going to the range every week. Two weeks ago I just plinked around, but last ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What else can one work on at a range?

Senior Moderator

Question What else can one work on at a range?

Okay, so I'm trying to make a habit out of going to the range every week.

Two weeks ago I just plinked around, but last week I had a mission, I was working on my stance.

Someone suggested keeping a range log to indicate the types of things I worked on and my progress, but as I get ready to head up to the range tonight I was thinking to myself, "What now?"

I know that you can work on grip, stance, accuracy (and I do work on these things constantly), but what else?

Unless I want to be asked to leave, I really can't work on drawing or shooting multiple targets (the guy next to me might get a little ticked off when he sees four .40 holes on his .22 target).

So, give it to me, what else could I concentrate on while at the range?

Pick a lane next to someone shooting a .30 cal or larger. Get used to the "sound and fury". If you aren't affected by it on a static range, you'll be more together when the adrenaline starts flowing.

Does the range allow double taps but not more?

I like to have 2 rounds in the gun (1 chambered, 1 in mag) and 2 in the next mag.

Pop-pop! <mag switch> Pop-pop!
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    There's always a million things that you can work on. The first thing that popped in my mind was Drawing, but since your range is being nazi's about it, I guess it's out of the question. But if you haven't been able to practice draw and shoot a-la el-presidente, you really out to find a range that you can. Drawing is half the battle and you really have to do it alot before you can put the two halves together in a fluid consistant manner.

But other things you can work on are Trigger control, (prepping the trigger correctly) and even if you can't shoot two targets in different lanes, nobody said you can't shoot 2 different targets on the same piece of paper, go from head to chest, left and right shoulder. Put a few stick on targets on a large piece of cardboard. You don't have to have different lanes to practice trasitions from target to target.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Pick a lane next to someone shooting a .30 cal or larger. Get used to the "sound and fury". If you aren't affected by it on a static range, you'll be more together when the adrenaline starts flowing.
    The range master picks the lanes which annoys me cause he always picks one next to the window to "keep an eye on me." Maybe after another three months of doing this he'll realize that I kind of do know what I'm doing and he doesn't have to babysit me. When my husband is with me he puts us in the back...lol.

Although I've never been bothered by the noise.. My Dad had his blasting license while I was growing up and us kids (especially my brother and I) used to regularly go with him to blow stumps and other annoying things out of the ground and about 100 feet into the air. It's no wonder then that my brother went for EOD in the Navy.

No, noise has never really been a factor.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by blueyedevil View Post
    The first thing that popped in my mind was Drawing, but since your range is being nazi's about it, I guess it's out of the question. But if you haven't been able to practice draw and shoot a-la el-presidente, you really out to find a range that you can. Drawing is half the battle and you really have to do it alot before you can put the two halves together in a fluid consistant manner
    I practice drawing at home with snap caps. I do understand that drawing is very important because, well, if you can't get your gun out in time, why bother having it?

I'll have to work on double-taps on the same target. I don't think there's anything against that up there. Thanks!

Try shooting one handed, strong and weak hand. You'll probably find the weak hand shooting will take some practice.

While they won't allow draws how about rapid magazine changes followed by target aquisition and firing. Another drill I get away with at a similar range is to hold in retention and pull up quick to fire.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    While they won't allow draws how about rapid magazine changes followed by target aquisition and firing. Another drill I get away with at a similar range is to hold in retention and pull up quick to fire.
    HAHA.. I do these both often!! So far no ones come to beat me with a stick so all must be good!

I would suggest going to an OUTDOOR range, and go when there is nobody else around, also take a QUALIFIED instructor, and have him run you thru some malfunction drills - TAP, RACK, BANG and LOCK, STRIP, WORK. If he is a QUALIFIED instructor - he will know how to teach these exercises to you. If he doesn't? FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN! THESE ARE VERY IMPORTANT!

Are you familiar with any of these malfunction drills? If not - you really should learn how to properly clear your weapon WHEN (not if) it jams on you...because IT WILL!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    I would suggest going to an OUTDOOR range, and go when there is nobody else around, also take a QUALIFIED instructor, and have him run you thru some malfunction drills - TAP, RACK, BANG and LOCK, STRIP, WORK. If he is a QUALIFIED instructor - he will know how to teach these exercises to you. If he doesn't? FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN! THESE ARE VERY IMPORTANT!

Are you familiar with any of these malfunction drills? If not - you really should learn how to properly clear your weapon WHEN (not if) it jams on you...because IT WILL!
    Yes, I'm familiar with these drills, in fact, I had a doozer of a jam tonight. Double feed that locked both my slide and my magazine. I've never had something so bad that simply dropping the mag and racking the slide didn't fix it. Tonight was a little different, but essentially pulling the mag (because it wouldn't drop) and working the slide twice cleared it nicely.

I did get the best compliment I've ever gotten though.

I was the only one there and so the range master and his trainee were pretty much just watching me. When I came out the trainee said, "You did some pretty good shooting."
    The range master said, "Yes you did. Are you a Law Enforcement Officer?" (I was touched!)
    "No," I said, " just a civilian determined to defend herself."
    Then, as I was putting my license back in my wallet he saw my CCW and said, "Yeah, we both carry Glocks. What do you got?"

The three of us got talking and before long we were passing around guns (unloaded with slides locked back).

This was a good night!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by limatunes; March 27th, 2007 at 10:03 PM.

That's some purdy good shootin' girlie!

I'm glad you know how to clear your weapon. You would be surprised at those who haven't a clue! They just look at their jammed up blaster and stare at it hoping it will clear itself!

Good job!

Awesome shooting.... and keep up the drills. You can never go over the motor skills needed enough to make them boring!
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

You are doing good, but mix it up.

Go shoot when you re dog-tired, when you don't want to shoot, when you are ill.
    All these scenarios are possible when you HAVE to shoot.

Go to a different range, just so you are 'uncomfortable'.
    If it is outdoors go when it is raining.
    Take a class in low-light tactics.

You can see where I'm heading, get yourself far away from any comfort zone.

I use two ranges, one indoor and one outdoor. The indoor has automated targets, they move as you shoot them. That is worth a lot more than the $200 per year I pay to be a member there.

My favorite trick, a reverse charge... I set the target to move out to 20 ft, with my gun down but ready I press enter and then shoot at the X, if I can get 3 shots in there before it is 20 ft away I am happy. It replicates someone charging at me from 20 ft away but obviously backwards, the results are the same.

Night fire. Lots and lots of night fire!

You need to practice into your chest straight out and double tap the target. It will help with muscle memory and quick point and shoot accuracy. Remember under duress you will revert to these techniques. Muscle memory is everything once you have your grip and stance down right. You will have a very hard time finding a range which lets you draw a hot weapon. You can practice drawing at home. I also practice mag changes at home in the dark closest. If you can do it in the dark you should never have a problem doing it any other time.
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links