2 LEOs KIA, each had an observer in their car

This is a discussion on 2 LEOs KIA, each had an observer in their car within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.charleston.net/assets/web...Date=3/27/2007 Gunfire, now grief BY GLENN SMITH The Post and Courier Cpl. Marcus Stiles declared dead Gunman vowed to 'finish it' Pfc. Lonnie Wells wounded, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 2 LEOs KIA, each had an observer in their car

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

http://www.charleston.net/assets/web...Date=3/27/2007

Gunfire, now grief

BY GLENN SMITH
    The Post and Courier

Cpl. Marcus Stiles declared dead

Gunman vowed to 'finish it'

Pfc. Lonnie Wells wounded, then executed

MONCKS CORNER - Gary Douglas stepped from the front porch of his mobile home with a shotgun in his hands and a chilling message for the two policemen in his yard.

"Y'all started this s---," a neighbor said Douglas shouted from the Connie Lane residence. "Now I'm gonna finish it."

Moments later, police Cpl. Marcus Stiles lay wounded on the ground. Fellow officer Pfc. Lonnie Wells took cover behind a cruiser and fired back at Douglas, who kept coming. Douglas had two long guns with him, witnesses said.

Terry Dangerfield watched the scene unfold Sunday afternoon from her kitchen window. She kept praying that one of Wells' bullets would find its mark before Douglas reached him.

But as Wells tried to take another shot, Douglas fired again. The blast hit the officer's shoulder and he fell backward, Dangerfield said.

"Douglas peeked out from the car and looked at him there," she said. "Douglas said something to him and then he pulled the trigger and shot (Wells) right in the head. I screamed with all my might. ... He just turned around and walked back toward his house."

Wells, 40, died where he was shot. Stiles, 26, also was shot in the head. He died Monday at Trident Medical Center, Berkeley County Coroner Glenn Rhoad said.

As this small town and its 25-man police department struggled to deal with their grief, state investigators worked to piece together the jumble of events that led to the shootings and ended with a frantic police chase and Douglas' death.

The violence began at CW Laundromat, a small, weathered building along U.S. Highway 17A around 3:30 p.m. Witnesses saw a man and a woman arguing, and there were reports of a possible

abduction. A red Dodge pickup was seen driving away. The tag came back to Douglas, a 51-year-old electrician, authorities said.

Douglas drove back to his home, a tan double-wide mobile home that backs up to the woods at the end of Connie Lane. He came roaring down the dirt road, sliding sideways as he took the turn toward his home, witnesses said.

His neighbors were used to Douglas speeding up and down the strip, and they had warned their children to stay clear of his path. In this tight-knit neighborhood, where most families are kin to one another, Douglas was known as an abrasive loner, a sour man who kept to himself and refused to acknowledge even a friendly wave. An avid hunter, he often spent time shooting his guns in the woods near his home, where he also kept hunting dogs, they said.

"He was a very hateful man," neighbor Ann Crouse said. "He was just a horrible person."

Douglas had lived there for well over a decade, and Connie Lane was actually named after his first wife. They had divorced many years ago and Douglas had remarried in 1998, only to divorce again. In 2000, then-wife Jennifer Douglas was granted an order of protection from Douglas, accusing him of mental and physical abuse. "He scares me a lot," she wrote in an affidavit.

Neighbors said he had been with a string of women over the years, but none stayed around long. The woman he returned home with Sunday was his latest girlfriend, but they were having problems, neighbors said.

Wells and Stiles decided to visit Douglas' home to make sure everything was OK. One of Wells' neighbors was riding with him to get a taste of law enforcement work. Stiles had his girlfriend with him as a passenger, police said.

Suddenly, they found themselves in a battle zone, as Douglas opened fire with a shotgun, police said.

At the time, about 10 children were playing outside not far from Douglas' home. Jarrett Smith, a quick-thinking 12-year-old, helped some of the younger children get to safety and then hid with his cousin in a garage.

Terry Dangerfield stood frozen by the window as her husband, Daniel, ran outside to find their 8-year-old son. He found him safe with Jarrett.

At one point, the shooting stopped and Douglas went into his home, possibly to get another gun or more ammunition, witnesses said. Wells' passenger took the opportunity to slip away and run for help, yelling for people to call 911, witnesses said.

Neighbors said the woman thought to be Douglas' girlfriend escaped by following the woods around a pond near his property. It was unclear Monday how Stiles' girlfriend got away.

After the shooting finally stopped, Douglas drove off in Wells' cruiser to make his getaway. Daniel Dangerfield rushed over to see if he could help the officers. Stiles lay on the ground, struggling to breathe, his torso peppered with buckshot. Wells didn't move.

"I knew he was gone," Dangerfield said.

Moments later, Berkeley County sheriff's deputies got behind the stolen cruiser and gave chase. When they determined Douglas was alone, they rammed the cruiser several times in an effort to "take the vehicle out," a police report stated. At one point, between Perry Hill Road and Heatley Street, the deputies struck the vehicle and forced it to stop.

Deputy Clifford C. McElvogue fired several rounds at the stolen cruiser, but Douglas drove off, deputies said. Another deputy rammed the vehicle again, but Douglas continued down U.S. Highway 17A before finally crashing the cruiser through a fence at the Berkeley Alternative School.

Deputies found him slumped over the console with a shotgun underneath him. Investigators are still trying to determine whether he was killed by police or by a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

When Moncks Corner Police Chief Chad Caldwell got the call, he first assumed it was a mistake. In his six years as police chief, he had not even turned on his blue lights before doing so Sunday.

"I spent all night trying to sort out how this happened," he said. "We're going through a tough time. This is the most heartbreaking thing that can ever occur."

Staff writer Nita Birmingham also contributed to this report. Reach Glenn Smith at 937-5556 or gsmith@postandcourier.com.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Darn.

RIP to the two officers. I pray for their souls and their families tonight.

To the dirtbag...may he burn in the deepest darkest corner of Hell.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Terry Dangerfield watched the scene unfold Sunday afternoon from her kitchen window. She kept praying that one of Wells' bullets would find its mark before Douglas reached him.

Terry Dangerfield stood frozen by the window...
    A fat lot of good that did. I wonder if one or both of the LEO's could have been helped by an armed witness. The situation seems pretty clear - a guy trading gunfire with uniformed officers, and the officers getting the short end of the proverbial stick.

srfl's comments echo my own, with the sole exception that "dirtbag" is not a strong enough term.

Assistant Administrator
    You know that hollow, sick feeling in the gut? I have that right now having read of all this.
    CountryGal likes this.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Little left unclear here, Especially if your not the one being targeted, you might be the one most likey to make a good shot.

Question to LE's, I know you don't know us each individually, but if we see you in trouble and want to help, how do you feel about it? Even if we here the sirens of your backup, that could be the longest 30 seconds you've ever waited.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    You know that hollow, sick feeling in the gut? I have that right now having read of all this.
    ditto

2 LEO's KIA with observers in their cars

Sorry if it is poor etiquette to link internally like this, but I think this thread isn't getting read by many because of where it is located.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ighlight=wells
    Last edited by Team American; March 29th, 2007 at 02:05 PM. Reason: add link

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Read the initial story when it first broke earlier in the week. P95 nailed it. Simply awful in every way.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

That 12-yr old kid did well....saved a bunch of lives that day.

Administrator
    These incidents are happening more and more, I think I'm going to grab an extra box of ammo for my go bag.
    "Just blame Sixto"

OD*
    How terribly tragic.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

This Makes Me Very Angry...

Dirtbags abound...

May this one roast for eternity...

My condolences to the officers' families...

Just a terrible thing...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

bg shouldve been given the ol' intravenous cocktail a long time ago, is the sad thing.....

Man described as abrasive, abusive, distant

BY GLENN SMITH
    The Post and Courier

MONCKS CORNER - When Coroner Glenn Rhoad got the call Sunday that Gary Douglas had shot two police officers on Connie Lane, his mind quickly flashed to another violent day 12 years gone.

On that very same spot in December 1995, a drugged and despondent Douglas barricaded himself inside his double-wide trailer home with his estranged wife and a shotgun at the ready. He threatened to blow off his head and told a responding sheriff's deputy to back off or he would "drop him" where he stood.

Rhoad, then a lieutenant and hostage negotiator with the Berkeley County Sheriff's Office, spent 90 minutes speaking with Douglas before the gunman agreed to surrender his weapon and go for a psychiatric evaluation. Douglas told doctors he been distressed because his wife left him and he had grown suicidal. He held a gun to his head at times during the negotiations.

"He couldn't accept being left by women," Rhoad recalled.

Family Court records attest to that fact. Douglas had spent much of the last 12 years embroiled in domestic problems and custody battles, during which two former wives painted a

picture of him as an angry and abusive spouse. Four orders of protection had been issued between 1995 and 2000 to keep him away from one woman or the other.

First wife Connie Douglas accused him on three occasions of pulling a gun on her and threatening her life.

It is unclear if Moncks Corner police officers Lonnie Wells and Marcus Stiles knew anything about Douglas' background when they paid a visit to the 51-year-old's home Sunday afternoon in connection with yet another domestic dispute. Though Douglas was known in his neighborhood as an abrasive, hot-tempered man, his criminal record was sparse, and he had largely stayed clear of the law in recent years.

Wells and Stiles went to Douglas' home to check out a possible abduction after Douglas was seen arguing with his girlfriend at CW Laundromat on U.S. Highway 17A. After they arrived on Connie Lane, Douglas opened fire with a shotgun, and a gun battle ensued.

What happened in those initial moments and what sparked the confrontation isn't clear. The Post and Courier has submitted Freedom of Information Act requests to Moncks Corner police, Berkeley County government and the State Law Enforcement Division for tapes of the 911 calls and all police radio communication from the episode. Those tapes have not been made available.

When the shooting stopped, Wells, 40, lay dead. Stiles, 26, was badly wounded and died Monday. Two passengers riding with the officers, a neighbor of Wells and Stiles' girlfriend, escaped injury, as did Douglas' girlfriend, with whom he reportedly has a child.

Douglas died from a gunshot wound after leading sheriff's deputies in a car chase in Wells' stolen cruiser. Douglas was killed by a police bullet, but Rhoad said he doesn't know who fired the fatal shot. Both Wells and Deputy Clifford C. McElvogue shot at Douglas during the incident.

Neighbors on Connie Lane weren't surprised to hear he had run from police. His daredevil driving and penchant for speed were well-known.

About a month before the shooting, Douglas was involved in a crash on U.S. 17A that injured a 71-year-old man and a 69-year-old woman. State troopers faulted Douglas for being inattentive and driving too fast for conditions after he slammed a sport utility vehicle into the rear of the elderly couple's vehicle, a report stated.

An electrician by trade and the father of seven children by three women, Douglas was known in his neighborhood as a hot-headed loner who shot guns in the woods behind his home for sport.

"He didn't speak to anyone," neighbor Shirley Dangerfield said. "He didn't socialize with any of us."

When Douglas and his family first moved to Connie Lane more than 15 years ago, they quickly gained a reputation for leaving trash and debris around their yard and for letting his hunting dogs defecate on other people's lawns, neighbor Ann Crouse said.

Custody battles and dueling allegations marked the years after his 1996 divorce from his first wife, Connie, with whom he had four of his children. In 1997, sheriff's deputies visited his home after Connie Douglas complained that he was not properly caring for his children. Deputies found unsanitary conditions, with dirty dishes filling the sink and kitchen counter, dog feces on the floor, clogged toilets and scant food, a police report stated.

A sheriff's deputy testified about the conditions at a court hearing that led to Connie Douglas receiving custody of three of their children. Douglas had supporters who rebutted the allegations. He had previously submitted affidavits complaining about his ex-wife's parenting skills. He also blamed his previous mental health problems, including the December 1995 barricading incident, on a bad reaction to pain pills prescribed for a work-related neck injury.

Funds to help the families

Additional donation sites were set up Tuesday and a fundraiser was scheduled for the families of slain Moncks Corner officers Pfc. Lonnie Wells and Cpl. Marcus Stiles.

--Club owner Jim Garvalia will host a benefit dinner Saturday at The Kountry Klub, 1909 N. Main St., Summerville. Barbecue chicken plates will be sold at $7.50 each from 1 to 6 p.m. Proceeds, donations and all bar proceeds will be deposited in previously established memorial funds at First Federal of Charleston. Garvalia said a bank representative will be on hand to accept the donations. Call 843-871-6221 for more information.

--Donations may be made in person at any First Federal of Charleston branch or by mail, 206 E. Main St., Moncks Corner, SC 29461. The funds are in the officers' names.

--Donations may be made by PayPal on the Moncks Corner Rural Fire Department's Web site. The address is www.mcrfd.com. It's a way of giving back to the officers, who were always there to help firefighters, Chief Scott Lee said. Photos of Wells and Stiles e-mailed to the site will be posted.

--There is also a donation bucket at the ATP Gun Shop and Range at 1340 College Park Road in Summerville. A law enforcement sales representative for the business said Monday he has secured donation commitments from firearms manufacturers Glock and Smith & Wesson.

man that is horrible. Bless those officers and big pat on the back to the kid.... at least his quick thinking saved those kids.

i don't think I could stand by and let a LEO be obviously gunned down. I don't know what I would do but I would have to do SOMETHING!

If just the neighbors had a SHTF rifle... 2COM shots and it would have been over.

This stuff can happen next door to anyone, make sure your SHTF rifle is always available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links