Cincinnati man accidentally shoots self, twice

This is a discussion on Cincinnati man accidentally shoots self, twice within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...019/1056/COL02 WHITEWATER TWP. - The owner of a Whitewater Township concrete company accidentally shot himself in the hand twice Wednesday, a Hamilton County Sheriff's Office ...

Thread: Cincinnati man accidentally shoots self, twice

Cincinnati man accidentally shoots self, twice

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...019/1056/COL02

WHITEWATER TWP. - The owner of a Whitewater Township concrete company accidentally shot himself in the hand twice Wednesday, a Hamilton County Sheriff's Office spokesman reported.

Jerry Miller, owner of Miller's Ready Mix Concrete, 5858 Dry Fork Road, was loading a .380-caliber semiautomatic handgun at 1 p.m. when it accidentally fired at least four shots, two of which hit Miller's left hand.

Authorities suspect a "pistol malfunction" resulted in multiple rounds being fired. Miller was taken to University Hospital for treatment.
    What do you make of this. I have heard of a semi-auto being modififed or having trouble and going full auto, but thats pretty uncommon. Would be nice if we knew the type of pistol. But if it went full auto wouldn't it fire the whole magazine, which would probably be more than 4.

Can anyone thing of any other "pistol malfuntion" that could cause this beyond the likely operator error (although I would hope he would have stopped firing after the first time he shot himself in the hand.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Slam Fire

Possibillity of foriegn matter (brass chip,unburnt powder,dirt,broken firing pin or spring etc..) causing protrusion of the firing pin from breech face. This could cause a "slam fire" when slide is racked to chamber a round,and depending on the design,full auto fire. Another good reason why not to put any part of your hand in front of the muzzle when racking the slide...

Administrator
    It is possible for a semi~pistol that goes full auto to cycle 4 times before the guy could take his index finger off the trigger and/or even realize that his hand was hit....twice.
    Just depends on what sort of reaction/reaction time the guy had.
    He probably froze up.

Sounds like the owner pointed the weapon at his own hand, a no-no.
    And it sounds like the firearm itself was not maintained properly which again falls under operator error.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

J
    erry Miller, owner of Miller's Ready Mix Concrete, 5858 Dry Fork Road, was loading a .380-caliber semiautomatic handgun at 1 p.m. when it accidentally fired at least four shots, two of which hit Miller's left hand.
    How does it fire while be loaded? If he was cocking it why would his hand be in front of the barrel? Just trying to figure out what they meant , I know most of these reporters are "gun ignorant" so probably were not sure what to write .

VIP Member
    If I remember right, a few weeks ago someone here posted a movie of a .380 semi-auto doing just that same thing.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    For a slam-fire to oocur, you don't have to have your finger on the trigger. Some kind of foreign body locks the firing pin forward and it just cycles til it runs out of ammo. SKS's seem to have a bad rep of having this happen.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Ouch. Bet that hurt. I had a friend do that with a small derringer. It went off due to a broken protrudeing fireing pin. Guess he didn't know witch end the bullet came out.

Administrator

Could be a broken sear or hammer hooks.
    Possibly a cheapie handgun.
    Operator Error ~ Defective Handgun ~
    Foreign material/sand? lodged somewhere in the pistol is also real possibility being as the article states the guy owned a concrete company.
    Looks like we'll probably never know exactly.

Member Array Gun Loving Liveral's Avatar
    I suspect a combination of careless handling (not pointing muzzle in safe direction) and possible cheapie .380. I saw a cheapie .22 fire several rounds in a 'full auto' malfunction, and I think the same company at one time sold a cheapie .380.
    In Oklahoma, even we liberals like guns!

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Well if one doesn't do it....
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Links