Ruger GP100 Continues to Prove Itself...

This is a discussion on Ruger GP100 Continues to Prove Itself... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello. A while back I took a hard look at the Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum revolver. At that time I was looking for a NIB ...

Thread: Ruger GP100 Continues to Prove Itself...

1951 - 2011

Ruger GP100 Continues to Prove Itself...

Hello. A while back I took a hard look at the Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum revolver. At that time I was looking for a NIB or like new S&W
    3" Model 13 or 65 but couldn't find one except either in poor shape or at way too high a price.

For those interested, the original article is here:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/R...er%20GP100.htm

A good friend mentioned a sale on 3" short shroud GP100's. He advised that he'd had good luck with them so I bought one.

Since writing the initial review, I have shot this gun on more than a few range trips with either handloaded or factory 357's, usually using bullets in the 145 to 158-gr. range.

The last time I shot the gun was a week or so back. Nothing was done on paper, just steel targets and plates. I fired just over 200 rnds of S&B 158-gr. JFP ammunition. As has been the case on every other outting with this gun, there were zero problems. I have not yet shot the S&B on paper so I don't know how well it does or doesn't group but at distances out to about 20 or 25 yards, it was no problem smacking the plates and such double-action.

I cannot speak to all Ruger revolvers as I own but two,the GP100 being discussed and a 3 1/16" SP101, but the trigger on the GP has smoothed up very nicely...VERY nicely. It was surprisingly good out of the box but it is slicker than a gut as this is written.

To me, this revolver doesn't have the classic "revolver look" that only an S&W has, but neither do I find it "ugly" as some have suggested. I definitely have found it reliable as homemade sin and am most happy with the smoothed trigger pull. I even like the factory grips and have no intention of changing them.

I would estimate that roughly 1600 rounds have been fired through the gun and it sometimes accompanies me on work days at a friend's ranch...but it also serves as an always loaded house gun as well.

If I could get Ruger to stop with all the lettering on the bbl AND offer this style revolver in .44 Special, rest assured that I would. I think a 5-shot .44 Special GP100 would sell like the proverbial hotcakes.

I know at least one would...and probably two!

I still enjoy and like the older (read that pre-lock) S&W revolvers but have also gained quite a bit of respect for the Ruger revolvers I've tried as well.

These are the only two Ruger revolvers that I own. Both have proven themselves utterly reliable and worthy of serious consideration for folks wanting tough revolvers that seem to just keep on doing what they do. I would trust either of these for "serious" purposes.

Best.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Excellent review as usual.....how far back did you get your GP100...and where? I'd love to pick one up myself.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

1951 - 2011
    Hello. I bought it in 2003 through a gun shop no longer in business.

Best.

VIP Member
    Bummer....thank you, sir.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

That is a beautiful Gp100 you have there. I have always thought the 3 inch barrel is the perfect length for the revolver.

Beautiful.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Links