Defensive Carry banner

Ruger Birdshead .44 Mag

18K views 40 replies 18 participants last post by  Wasp 
#1 · (Edited)
Real Guns - Ruger's 44 Magnum Birdshead Vaquero

I have a Ruger New Vaquero Birdshead in .45 ACP, I love how it looks, how it feels, and how it shoots. You can also get it in .45 Colt (Long Colt) but it cant take the high end hotter loads, but it's hard to argue with the power of any .45 ACP or .45 Colt, period. Even so, many people just want the capability of carrying more power, especially in a concealable package like the Birdshead.

Well Ruger answered the call with a new TALO Birdshead in .44 Magnum/Special which ought to fill a gap between concealability and power. When walking in the woods in bear country, even though its Blacks, it would be nice to be able to strap on a nonobtrusive revolver capable of handling it all. Looking at the pictures its strikingly beautiful and crying for custom grips and some leather. This would pair really well with some of your .44 carbines too.

I've never gotten really excited about .44 Magnum anything, this could very well change that, how about you.

#3 ·
yeah, ouch.

Wasp - your original premise that this would make a nice handy backpacking gun that can handle the big threats is rock solid. no denying that. though.... single action may not be my first choice, if mama bear already has you knocked down you're gonna wish you had a DA.

I'm thinking for utilitarian purposes the Scandium Framed DA S&W's would be my first, but expensive, choice for a backpacking gun.

however, this is certainly a cool gun.

#6 ·
If mamma bear already has you knocked down you are beyond in trouble anyway. With .44 mag I think you could shoot nearly as fast with single action as double action.

Also, I'm not sure how unpleasant the recoil would be. Yes it would be recoil heavy but not unmanagable.

#8 ·
While I love magnums, big heavies don't have to be magnumized to be plenty effect on black bears, even the larger ones.
Even a righteously loaded 45auto with a 230 weight lead bullet will put a hole thru one.

That birds head grip 44 mag is neat enough that one doesn't need to justify the purpose of the purchase, although it would certainly get the job done.

#11 ·
Sounds like you have the "bug" for something new. I have a Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt 5 1/2" and a Ruger Blackhawk Bisley .45 Colt 5 1/2 inch. I think both are fully capable to dispatching a bear with my handloads using .45-270-SAA hard cast bullets that we've cast. I would be curious how the birds head grips handled under heavy recoil of stout loads int he .44 Magnum. You know you have a hold of something shooting mine with full power handloads.

I'm currently north of you and we're seeing the effect of Arkansas' bear population migrating. Around our place a few years ago before we moved the wife spotted a mama with cubs and both my sons spotted single bears on different occasions, but I never was fortunate enough to see one.

#13 ·
What a gorgeous gun.

44 mag in a 3.75" barrel.... my hand and ears hurt just looking at it.

#14 · (Edited)
Same gun (whoa dude, don't sweep me) but this one is in (whoa swept me again) .45 Colt (Long Colt) which has some pretty good recoil.

If you notice, this one has smooth grips yet is still manageable, thats because the Birdshead sits in the cup of the palm and sits in the hand. If you notice in the pictures of the .44 mag in the article, it has checkering which will help further prevent excessive roll.

#17 ·
Wait-wait-lol. I've had a .45 ACP for over a year. I want/would like the new .44 magnum. The videos were just for reference of the looks and recoil. However QK, congratulations may be in order in the future. We'll see. :smile:

I was just trying to call out the Single Action Guys....it worked.

#19 ·
To me the Birdshead feels like it is built for your hand, really comfortable to grip, and comfortable to shoot, it's recoil feels a lot less that a 1911 commander, even though thats a poor comparison. I always liked how it looked but never handled one before, way down on my list. One day I saw someone post pictures of one and it gave me an itch, drove to the LGS and he had it in stock which is surprising since the stainless is really hard to find. The minute it hit my hand and I operated the hammer I knew my bank account was about to be empty, I had to have it...that was it!
See if there is a local SASS (Single Action Shooting Sports) club, maybe a Cowboy Action club you could attend. Look around at your LGS's for any Birdshead model regardless of brand and that will give you an idea of how it feels even if they may be slightly different. You are in Idaho, I know there's somebody there that has Birdsheads. If you just bought one blind, never holding it, theres no way you would be dissapointed if you have an interest, even if you decided it wasn't your absolute favorite. I know you will want another single action regardless.

Look at Thombstone Tactical Ruger Vaquero Birdshead. They are in Stock, imagine that. http://www.tombstonetactical.com/ca...ead-revolver-45acp-3.75in-6rd-stainless-talo/

#22 ·
Nice. My first firearm was a Ruger single six that I carried all over the woods and killed a lot of grouse and rabbits. There is just something solid about SA guns that is different. I am curious about the bullet retention in an SA cylinder for the 45 acp? I might have to do a youtube search on that.

#21 ·
That looks great. I like the looks of the smaller New Vaquero frames but I would happily have this new one(in the old frame) to be able to handle 44 Magnum, or the hot 45 Colt loads. My only and lonely single action is a 45 Colt Blackhawk 7.5" that I bought for hog hunting. I definitely need something more cowboy looking.

#30 ·
Very nice. I have my 1976 SBH for my .44 mag. I dislike the plow handle/square trigger combo on those because they are knuckle busters under hot magnum reloads. So it's got a set of Altamont's on it. I like the Birdseye grips a lot better.

But I got this over Thanksgiving. It shoots .45 LC. And .454 Casull. And 460S&W mag.

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

I don't think I'm going to get pretty grips for it though. I think I'll keep the same recoil eaters that are on it.

#34 ·
Very nice. I have my 1976 SBH for my .44 mag. I dislike the plow handle/square trigger combo on those because they are knuckle busters under hot magnum reloads. So it's got a set of Altamont's on it. I like the Birdseye grips a lot better.

But I got this over Thanksgiving. It shoots .45 LC. And .454 Casull. And 460S&W mag.
Now that is a hand cannon
View attachment 122184

I don't think I'm going to get pretty grips for it though. I think I'll keep the same recoil eaters that are on it.
Wow! Now that roscoe will pack a punch!
Photo caption Poster Movie Trigger Internet meme

#32 ·
Yes Rdunaway I really really wanted a Vaquero plow handle in .357 mag but as soon as I picked it up my knuckle was already uncomfortable pressed against the trigger guard...no go. The Birdshead Vaquero is nothing like that and totally comfortable. I've also been looking at the Montados because rumor has it they are comfortable too.

That is one nice blaster you got there TX. How does she shoot?

#39 ·
So, I stopped for gas today and wandered through the gun store next door. What did they have but this 44 magnum Ruger birdshead Vaquero. First time I have handled one and boy, I almost just plunked down the plastic. Compared to my GP100 the handling and balance is superb. Going to talk to the wife tonight and if its still there Friday morning when I go back through I am taking it home. I am regressing as my first gun was a single action and I forgot how nice they handle and that grip sits very nicely in the hand. $675 OTD is going to take some fast talking to my wife and the GP100 may have to go, hard decision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.