9mm Bullets - Page 2

9mm Bullets

This is a discussion on 9mm Bullets within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, the website I did some research on had 1 gallon jugs of water lined up and this bullet had 19 inches of penetration. This ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9mm Bullets

Well, the website I did some research on had 1 gallon jugs of water lined up and this bullet had 19 inches of penetration. This was more than other 9mm bullets. The mushroom was perfect. http://www.stevespages.com/page8f9mmluger.html

This is the website
    Brown45cal

Enough penetration would be to get through thick clothing etc..
    Brown45cal

Sponsor
    I would suggest you read this:

http://www.threatfocused.com/forums/...read.php?t=701

Water jug testing doesn't equate well to what any given bullet will do in human tissue, especially after it has passed through clothing, and hit ribs, breast plate, arms, etc.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    I would suggest you read this:

http://www.threatfocused.com/forums/...read.php?t=701

Water jug testing doesn't equate well to what any given bullet will do in human tissue, especially after it has passed through clothing, and hit ribs, breast plate, arms, etc.

Brownie
    Agreed. You pays your money, you takes your chances. I also agree that shot placement is the decisive factor. You'll have to work reeeeaally hard to make me a 147 convert, though!

I agree that ballistic jelly and wet newspapers...etc, don't count for acurate results in human tissue and whatever surrounds it. Most of the evil gunshot wounds I've seen at the Trauma Center I work at come from .22's. I've been a nurse for a couple years and the 9mm's (and similar calibers) seem to go through and through, unless they hit something vital most patients are sent home that day. If they hit bone they go through it, instead of ricochetting off of it like a
    .22 does. I saw a guy shot in the thigh with a .22 that they found the bullet right next to his Aorta 1/2 a cm from his heart. But honestly BG's seem to shoot each other with FMJ wal-mart practice ammo, I don't think they actually research what ammo to buy, they just buy whatever is cheap. I've only seen one fully expanded bullet and it was a .40 S&W shot to the stomach of a BG by a LEO. The BG was in a world of hurt. It turned his bowls into swiss cheese. It only took the one shot to drop him. I honestly just usually buy Hydra-Shoks. I've never had a jam while practicing with them and the recoil doesn't feel much different from practice ammo. They also seem reasonably priced and popular.

I carry the gold dot 115+p+ in the 19,26,17 Off duty .I carry a 40 on duty. most of the time I carry the 30 with 230 golddots. reason I get them free.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwebel View Post
    . I've been a nurse for a couple years and the 9mm's (and similar calibers) seem to go through and through, unless they hit something vital most patients are sent home that day. .
    Yeah, 9mm ball, as our soldiers are discovering, sucks. This is why "effective" gang-shootings are usually mag-dumps to the core body. Too many through-n-through holes to compensate for.....

Sponsor
    Agreed. You pays your money, you takes your chances. I also agree that shot placement is the decisive factor. You'll have to work reeeeaally hard to make me a 147 convert, though!

Rob, Like you say, I think as long as you put em where it counts, and can get damage on organs with the bullet you choose to carry, you'll stand about as good a chance as anyone myself.

I just think too many people put the big emphasis on expansion when the chances of that expansion happening are not high historically. Certainly not the type of expansion seen in gel testing and thrown up as evidence that someones bullet is better than anothers as a sales point.

Brownie

I carry Speer GDHP +P in 124gr. Those were the best performing out of my particular handgun. They were easy for me to shoot, accurate, and the performance is just what the doctor ordered.

Shoot a bunch of different weights and brands. Find which performs best in your piece and then go from there.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Sponsor
    gddyup;

A good load in the GDHP 124 grain. Not sure you'll get the same penetration as the standard loading in that bullet, but it's a good choice just the same.

OT: I used to date a girl whose father owned the Derry News back in the 60's and 70's. That area must be getting well developed from the horse country it was when I hung in that area as a teenager.

Brownie

I alternate between Hornady TAP 147gr and Speer 124. One of the things that got my attention was that you get 25 rounds in the TAP and 20 in most others for about the same price. I was ammo testing and breaking in my Kahr PM9 with full-power PD ammo. My Kahr eats both with no FTF or FTEs.

2 other questions in the same thread.....

1. What's the opinion on the worth of the nickel(?) case w/ TAP?

2. What's the current thoughts on weight and overpenetration?
    TStorm
    Ruger P95/Kahr PM9/S&W Model 65 .357

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links