"Women with guns a growing phenomenon"

This is a discussion on "Women with guns a growing phenomenon" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.insidebayarea.com/sanmate...mes/ci_5555670 KIMBERLY SHRUM grips a Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum revolver and aims at a target 25 yards away. Bang. A hot shell casing hits ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Women with guns a growing phenomenon"

VIP Member

"Women with guns a growing phenomenon"

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sanmate...mes/ci_5555670

KIMBERLY SHRUM grips a Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum revolver and aims at a target 25 yards away.

Bang.

A hot shell casing hits the floor, joining hundreds of others littering the concrete at Jackson Arms Indoor Shooting Range in South San Francisco.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Ahhh those pesky Autoloader Revolvers with internal ejection port?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Miggy - ya beat me to it!! LOL
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

I have known lots and lots of female shooters. Some hunted, some wanted personal defense, but most were just shooting for the fun of it. I have known just as many women as men who could out-shoot me, even though a lot more men shoot.

Under stress, I am sure these women would react like a mother bear. It's a shame more don't carry.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

" To own a firearm in California, you need to show proof of residency within the state, and pass a 30-question test to get a handgun-safety certificate. The waiting period is 10 days."

The reporter fails or forgets to mention that additionally one must live outside of LA County and in a specific community where the issuing authority (sherrif, chief, whomever) will actually follow and abiode by state law and not out of hand deny you unless you are a celebrity, politicially in his pocket, a relative of his, or have been shot like 5 times in succession by your ex-husband/ex-bf/stalker.

In truth a very large amount of Californians can in practice never get their hands on a concealed carry license thanks to the county they live within and the issuing authoritys own personal position therein, regardless of what might be in the states law books.

The beginning of this article with her imagery of casings falling to the ground, out of a revolver, et. al. just shows her own inabilty to be impartial and simply report the news and to act like a professional.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IMHO Women firearms owners may well be growing , but not at the rate that the Main Stream Media awareness of it is . Firearms ownership is something that " ladys " did not used to discuss , kinda like watching football . Nowdays things have changed , and in this case to the better since the ladys who own and love firearms dont feel so alone as say 20 or 50 years ago . Heck they all did it , just did not talk about it IMHO , Kinda like for years they have passed off pre prep stuff for home made when they feed us fools who are plumbed different lol .

Edited to add : My grandmother was an exception to the rule , she killed uncounted head of elk , antelope , deer , and a few bears , was part of teaching me to rifle shoot ( and then cook it , and make biscuts and gravy to go with ) , and even with that i never knew she cared about handguns untill we had to institutionalize her due to health , then i had to go take her pistol away from her because yes she took it to the nursing home with her . She came to colorado in a covered wagon , homesteaded , and is truly a product of her times lol .
    Last edited by Redneck Repairs; April 2nd, 2007 at 01:35 PM.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    The comments section after that article shows that plenty of people were not taken in by the reporter's nonsense. The readers gave her a good thrashing, and it seems that only ONE person took an anti-self defense position (some idiot who signed as "Will," who advocated NON-VIOLENT response to violent criminals because "violence begets violence" -- that old, absurd platitude).

The author, as one commenter pointed out, did not simply "make a mistake" -- she wrote something that she had to know was false because she was claiming to have seen and heard something she could not possibly have seen and heard. The lines she wrote were deliberate. And false.

The rest of the article does what is typical when liberals discover that women are getting more and more empowered to protect themselves with firearms: it attributes that fact to the idea that the gun manufacturers are manipulating the women's fears.

Yeah, it might not be the fact that women are coming to understand, more and more, that their own safety is in their own hands. Hmph.

I only wish that female gun ownership (and gun ownership in general) was increasing at the rate that the MSM seems to think it is.

I got to get me one of those auto-ejecting revolvers, for sure. Idiot.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

"(some idiot who signed as "Will," who advocated NON-VIOLENT response to violent criminals because "violence begets violence" -- that old, absurd platitude)."

Yep, he is another whiny liberal who thinks that a raped and dead female is somehow morally superior to a lady with a .357 in her hand and a dead rapist at her feet. Never could understand idiots like that.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    "

Yep, he is another whiny liberal who thinks that a raped and dead female is somehow morally superior to a lady with a .357 in her hand and a dead rapist at her feet. Never could understand idiots like that.
    Easy to understand, it is not their body.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Moderator
    It's about time some media figured out we women like guns, too!

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Haha Just about every girl I know gets pouty and upset when they find out I went shooting without them. Its a great social outting for everyone. Not just guys and their sons. I've yet to meet a gal who gave shooting a fair chance - and hated it.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

The Desert Eagle does come in a .357Mag chambering...and it's possible that a woman would take comfort in a really big gun at the range. But I'm guessing its much more likely she was shooting a .357Sig and the reporter's just a duphus.

SM looking for SF 30-45, into evening walks, old movies, driving with the top down, handguns and rifles. Please send pictures of rifle.

i find that guys are freaked out by me shooting. one of my ex's got me started so he didn't care but I have scared a couple off.... dang college town liberals.

somehow my bright pink comforter doesn't match my g19 on the nightstand in their mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links