Defensive Carry banner

Quality, affordable plinking target

2K views 36 replies 28 participants last post by  flyfisher117 
#1 · (Edited)
My son and I are looking for a quality plinking target for him to shoot with his .22 Crickett. I was looking at a couple on Amazon, but the reviews says they cup after 50 - 100 rounds of 22. He wants to buy this with his own money ($15 or less). I am not opposed to building something, but I do NOT have a welder. I can weld, just don't have a way to do so. I have tried pounding sharpened fir strips into the ground, but in the dry, hard ground they just shatter. Any suggestions would be great!

#4 ·
What the heck is wrong with a Coke can or soup can? They're cheap, his Mom will keep him supplied and it will teach him range rules too; i.e gun down and unloaded while targets are set.

#5 ·
That's a great idea, he just has some money burning a hole in his pocket and I am trying to get him to spend it on something more worth while than a remote controlled car. He already has good safety glasses and ear protection.

Reactions: mano3 and CWOUSCG
#7 ·
That is an AWESOME idea. I told him about it and he is stoked!:danceban:

#8 ·
I've got a 3 target setup I picked up at Walmart set up out back at 50yds from my deck. All three targets swing/flip when hit, and have thousands of shots on them. It was less than $20 IIRC. Zombie green, even came with zombie stickers.

#16 ·
This has occupied many hours of new shooters here and it really is a rewarding target for pennies and to top it all off it's bio safe and if you use the big chunks left you can do a grill out after the shoot.

#17 ·
There are some really great ideas. I think we are heading to the hardware store next chance we get. Not only are we building a target but going I get some great father- son time in. :danceban:

Reactions: 357and40
#21 ·
I have used a shepherds hook - for hanging plants. Available at Lowes for like $7 or $8.

"S" hook - $1

Hang your steel target using the"S" hook and it hangs perfectly.

I've also drilled a hole in a paint can lids or 5 gallon plastic bucket lids and hung them from the shepherds hook using the "S" hook set up.

#22 ·
+ 1 on shepherd hooks for steel plates, cheap, effective and easily replaceable. I use them for some of my smaller plates that remain static (pictured at rear 6" Yellows). For my other round plates I use homemade stands to I can move them on my graveled range depending on the drill or COF:

Kids love/need reactive targets, another thing I've gone to (not so cheap) are buying animal silhouettes from "Quality targets", mine are knock-downs we use for little .22 Silhouette matches, but they also make swingers. Pictured along my dam for practice:

Chuck

#32 ·
A "remainder" roll of butcher paper, with little circles drawn on it using a Sharpie marker. Can get fairly large "butcher" paper rolls at the web sites that sell specialty targets.

IMO, about as inexpensive and flexible as it gets. Of course, that roll will last you twelve decades, shooting ten times per week.

Or, just cough up for a 100ct pack of suitable mini targets ... such as TQ-1/1 Competition 50 ft Junior Rifle Targets for Sale @ Target Barn. $3.25 per 100 is pretty darned cheap, so long as you can get S&H to be a negligible amount.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.