Anybody buying this story?

This is a discussion on Anybody buying this story? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.jems.com/news/282232/ La. officer shoots self; EMTs hailed for fast action By Allen Powell II Times-Picayune (New Orleans) Copyright 2007 The Times-Picayune Publishing Company A Gretna ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody buying this story?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Anybody buying this story?

http://www.jems.com/news/282232/

La. officer shoots self; EMTs hailed for fast action
    By Allen Powell II
    Times-Picayune (New Orleans)
    Copyright 2007 The Times-Picayune Publishing Company

A Gretna police officer accidentally shot himself in the chest Thursday afternoon, and remains in intensive care at West Jefferson Medical Center after losing a massive amount of blood.

Sgt. Raymond Lasseigne, a 15-year veteran, was in stable condition late Thursday afternoon after wounding himself with his personal weapon at the Gretna Police Department headquarters shortly after noon, Police Chief Arthur Lawson Jr. said.

Lasseigne shot himself in his office at the police station after he tripped and fell while removing a Sig .40-caliber handgun from his desk, Lawson said. Lasseigne, the commander of Gretna's community policing division, had the bullet enter his chest, exit through his side and sever a major artery in his arm, Lawson said.

He was treated and rushed to the hospital by emergency medical technicians who were at the Police Department, which Lawson said probably saved his life. The Gretna police complex also houses the city's emergency medical staff.

"Had this incident happened anywhere other than at the police complex ... I think that the circumstances would have been much more grim than they are," the chief said.

The shooting may have been a result of a manufacturer's defect in the handgun, because the weapon's safety was on at the time of the accident, Lawson said. The handgun was Lasseigne's personal weapon, which he carried in addition to his standard service weapon, Lawson said.

The department was overwhelmed by the response from other law enforcement agencies and volunteer fire departments to the call for blood for Lasseigne, Lawson said. The Police Department will have a mobile blood unit at the police complex at 200 Fifth St. throughout the day Sunday for anyone who wants to donate blood, Lawson said.

It is unclear whether there will be permanent damage to Lasseigne's arm because of the shooting, Lawson said.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sounds like a suicide gone wrong to me.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    The shooting may have been a result of a manufacturer's defect in the handgun, because the weapon's safety was on at the time of the accident, Lawson said.
    This doesn't make sense. Earlier in the story, it says the officer's gun was a .40 caliber SIG. SIGs don't have a 'safety' (well, except for their 1911, but that doesn't come in .40). The safety is the long trigger pull in DA mode, but it will still go off when you pull the trigger. It's hard to tell whether this is just ignorance on the reporter's part or what.

Senior Moderator
    I dont believe that there may have been a "manufacturers defect" in the gun.

It was a Sig...so it doesn't have a safety to stay "on".

I do believe that he may have tripped with the gun in his hand and inadvertently engaged the trigger.

It could happen,especially when trying to maintain balance and not drop the gun all at the same time.

The guy is lucky. Severing a major artery can dump enough blood in a minute and a half to kill you.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I suspect we have a candidate for the "rubber gun " squad here , and recommend Mandatory Psych counseling to help him deal with the stress of the " accident " .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    How do you trip, fall and then shoot yourself in the chest???
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Lead Moderator
    Sorry, but it sounds like there may have been a loose nut behind the trigger....... Does that qualify as a manufacturers defect?

More to the point it screams ill informed reporter!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post
    How do you trip, fall and then shoot yourself in the chest???
    My brother tripped, fell and shot himself in the stomach.. It can happen!

This guy should buy a lottery ticket. He realy lucked out. A few more minutes and he could have died. It looks like the story needs to be edited

The Chief probably is anticipating that the politicos will start asking questions about the safety training of his officers and so is trying to start the spin process now.

It sounds better to say it was a defect in the gun instead of saying that one of his officers did something in a very careless manner.

The officer probably performed the manuever hundreds of times before with no problem.

Just goes to show that all it takes is getting careless once.

I hope he recovers fully.
    Last edited by rstickle; April 2nd, 2007 at 06:30 PM.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Sounds like a ND to me. My question is why wasn't the pistol in
    a holster to began with?
    Last edited by ron8903; April 2nd, 2007 at 04:36 PM. Reason: dyslectic
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I don't know Sig's but I think it could happen. As to if it happened as the paper is reporting it, that is another question all together. I find the media's accuracy when it comes to reporting gun incidents is usually lacking.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

People Just Don't Get It...

Even cops, sometimes...

It's the finger, stupid...the finger is the final safety!

There are no AD...just ND, they're all ND's...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Even cops, sometimes...

It's the finger, stupid...the finger is the final safety!

There are no AD...just ND, they're all ND's...

OMO

ret
    You are correct ser. See my edit
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Not buying it. Sigs have a long heavy DA first pull of about 12-14 lbs(even Sig's version of DAO has an 8-9 lb pull), which he could conceiveably done with his finger on the trigger, but he would have to have pointed the gun at his chest with his finger on the trigger while falling. That takes intention, in my opinion.

VIP Member
    I'll reserve judgement on intent - stranger things have happened. I will, however, call BS on the "mechanical defect" claim... The only defect here is the reporter (and his source) who are talking about the "safety" being engaged on a Sig...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links