I finally got the BHP done.

This is a discussion on I finally got the BHP done. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had posted a while back on info regarding Browning Hi-Powers as I was in hte process of rebuilding one. Here is the original post ...

Thread: I finally got the BHP done.

I had posted a while back on info regarding Browning Hi-Powers as I was in hte process of rebuilding one.

Here is the original post.

Now it is time for some B&A's (before and after pics).

The before pictures are not the greatest (I took them), but you can get an idea of what I had to deal with. My wife took the afters (she is much better with that camera than I am). The grips are originals, and not really in bad shape, but obviously neglected.

Here is a profile:

If you look at the frame just above the grips, you can see a distinct difference in colors there. To look at it close up, you could see what looked like the owner had taken a heavy guage wire brush to the frame to remove the blueing. The metal was terribly scratched and rusting.

Here is a closer view:

The barrel has some rust pitting as can be seen in the pictures, but not bad enough that replacing the barrel would have been required:

The finished product. Not exactly what i was hoping for, but this thing was a pigs ear when I got it. The blueing (cold blue) just wouldn't get any darker. It still has a little look of being dark metal moreso than some blues seen on other guns:

I must add, the great looking grips in the last picture are compliments of Chorizo. Thanks again Mitch and Semper Fi from a deck ape.

The overall condition of the gun upon recipt was enough to nearly make me cry. In the end, while it did not turn out the way I had hoped (I am my own worst critic), it looked great (comparatively speaking) and shot very well:
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Looks good for what you had to work with ! Congrats ! If you are unhappy with the blue , and would consider parkerising it i have a couple of good " home brew " recipees and instructions on a site i have up , drop a note here or if all else fails pm you can do either grey or black park with the recipees .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I would be interested in the recipies. Not for this gun, but for others in the future. This one was for another guy. I have worked on a few, and the ones that I have done work for bring me (or ask me if I am interested in) other projects.

In fact, I am doing one now (Savage .22 rifle) that is in nearly the same condition as the Browning.

I am going to have to source parts for this one as well, but I have to clean it up enought to see what model it is (yes, its that bad).

It is a family passdown, and the owner understands that it has no real monetary value, but the sentimental value is worth having the work done. This one should, I hope, take color well. Most of the rust is surface, and the action has been protected by fouling for several years. I'll try to take some pics of this one too.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    understood bud , and pm incomeing to you with link .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Sponsored Links