Defensive Carry banner

Series eighty

3K views 52 replies 27 participants last post by  sonnycrocket 
#1 ·
Is it really that big of a deal ? Having searched thru many sites it seems it is for some and not others. I didn't find much here although it doesn't mean it's not here.
The reason I ask is I'm going to buy a lightweight commander and I'd like it to be the Colt.
Much appreciation in advance for anyone sharing their knowledge with me on the 80 series and this Colt

#2 ·
Had one ..Nightmare to work on ..Trigger is eh ... Most people mod them into series 70s

Reactions: gatorbait51
#6 ·
Before the real experts weigh in, I can say the 80 series uses another kind of safety device in the trigger system. This adds some complexity. Some say the trigger on a 70 series is better. But, if the firearm is competently made, it should make little difference. I have a custom made 1911, made for me by a 2X Pistolsmith of the Year, which uses the 80 series design. I would challenge anyone to find fault with that trigger. Boils down to do you like the trigger?

#7 ·
Like Dead said, the four extra parts aren't any big deal, especially if that's the series you learn on. As pistolsmith Teddy Jacobson (one of the best "triggermen" in the business) has stated, "if anyone tells you, you can't have a good trigger on a Series 80, they are either a liar or incompetent."

#8 ·
I have a series 80 (Officers Model) and I like it. I have a 1917 era 1911 as well and it has a heavier trigger pull.

The added lever and firing pin block safety do add to the trigger weight. But you do get added safety (of debatable usefulness). For a defense pistol it's not an issue at all. For a target pistol it does make for a "sloppier" trigger linkage, more friction points and a LOT more to polish. I put a Gold Gup trigger on mine and swapped out the spring for Wolff leaf sear spring and it is crisp Certainly crisp enough for a defense pistol that's not use in competition. I just need it to go "BANG" every time. And with my Ciener .22LR slide & barrel I can hold 10 in 2" at 25 yards offhand so it's good enough for most pistol work.

If you're going for a three pound or more trigger and can live with a "whopping" 3/32" take up you'll never notice. If you currently like the feel of ANY striker fired pistol with a trigger safety you'll never notice.

#11 ·
I removed from one of my 1911 . I have considered several times putting back . If pistol not going to be a target only pistol But a self defense pistol I think leave it in. If removed you need to put shim where the sear lever was. Or sear can walk back and forth . I also suggest get a lighter firing pin and heavy firing pin spring to make sure drop proof.

#15 ·
I couldn't tell much of a difference between in pull weight between the two when I had them side by side. The Kimber was a 10mm loaded with hot rounds, and I was more worried about keeping the gun in my hand than the trigger pull. :) My government model Colt (first handgun so I learned on the Series 80 like OD mentioned) had a bit of creep before the hammer fell. Felt mushy, if you will. I did not notice that on the Kimber. Pull weight, though, was about the same. My '43 USGI feels like the trigger track has sand in it and a little midget pushing against the pull. Here is where I will just throw out a number. It feels like it could be 10+ lbs!

I prefer Colt's safety system over the Kimber system simply because I learned it first, and I am comfortable with it.

#14 ·
I have a stainless colt commander series 80.

If I knew then what I know now I would not have bought it.

The issues started at about round 400. Took it to the range after getting it and ran 250 through it. Next day another 150 and that's when the issues started. Slide locked just out of battery and then I felt something drop onto the back of my hand. It was the firing pin block. Took it to a local smith who couldn't get the issue to replicate. Took it to the range and 25 rounds in it happened again.

Sent it to Wilson Combat. They did a "series 80 reliability package," replaced the firing pin, firing pin block, & firing pin spring. $250 later I have not had another issue but I can't trust it as a carry piece.

Save up and get something a little nicer.

#19 ·
I find no difference in trigger between the 70s and 80s . The 80 bits are fiddly to replace but a match stick or a little dab of grease holds them into place. I have 3 70s and 6 80s ..

#20 ·
There are lots of urban legends about series 80 parts failing and series 80 triggers not being as good as series 70 triggers. I don't subscribe to any of them. I've never seen a series 80 part fail and I'd done hundreds of trigger jobs on both types and both can be made equal with a little care. I don't see it as an issue at all.

#23 ·
I remember trying a Series 80 Government Model's trigger back in what ... 1980 or so?

I was skeptical. They were changing things. I don't like change. The initial experience with the trigger of the Series 80 then was not pleasing compared with the 1911 guns with which I was familiar. I never fooled with them again until a brother-in-law got one a few years back. It still felt creepy. Then, in 2014 I ordered a Colt Series 80 Government Model. The local gunsmith handled the receipt of the gun. I was moaning about the gun having "the Series 80 trigger" and he handed me his Series 80 Colt Commander to try. Niiice! Of course he'd worked his over. He claimed: "You won't be disappointed when this one you are ordering arrives." You know what? He was right about the new one. A hint of creep but quite livable and I admire good triggers. I still haven't shot that Colt enough to even break it in yet so don't now if I'd even bother to do a trigger job on it.

It does have more "fiddly bits."

#34 ·
Yeah. But God help you if you accidently shoot someone or someone shoots themselves with your pistol and it gets out (on inspection by the prosecution of your siezed pistol) that you purposely disabled the safety.

#30 ·
Even guns with mag safetys and/or the series 80 safeties can be smooth and a nice trigger pull. An improperly fitted series 70 trigger pull can be crap. I've seen both. I prefer a 70 but I ain't gonna turn down a nice 80.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

#33 ·
A friend of mine told me that there is a part that can be placed in one of two positions, and if put it in wrong the firing pin will not release. He told me he carried it once for a couple of weeks without knowing about it, in a non firing condition. After that when assembling it he would test it pointing up at the ceiling, with a pencil in the barrel, to see if the firing pin would engage.

#39 ·
I have had a few Series 80's with a strange feeling trigger. A good polishing of the firing pin stop plunger has taken care of it.

As mentioned before, It depends who assembled the gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.