How do I get my wife to stop flinching when she shoots?

This is a discussion on How do I get my wife to stop flinching when she shoots? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I can't get my wife to stop flinching. When we are at the range after her last round she doesn't notice the slide is back ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I can't get my wife to stop flinching.

When we are at the range after her last round she doesn't notice the slide is back and pulls the trigger again. When she does this she pushes the gun forward.

I know this is the reason her bullets are not in a tight grouping when she fires.

I've had her practice dry firing at home and I've loaded her mags for her at the range and put snap caps in so she doesn't know when she has a dud. It doesn't work and she can't stop doing it.

Is there something I can tell her or a drill to get her to stop flinching?
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

Senior Moderator
    What is she shooting?

I would try switching her to a VERY low recoil gun for awhile, such as a .22 where there is almost no recoil and see how she handles that. After two hundred or so rounds she may find this isn't so bad at all.

You may also want to just do dry fires with her over and over again with snap caps try it for about fifteen minutes to a half hour every night. She'll know it's not loaded and so she most likely won't flinch. After she gets comfortable (if not bored) with pulling the trigger and NOT flinching then easing her back into live fire.

Another thing would be to tell her to concentrate on her front sight and where it's pointed rather than on what happens when she pulls the trigger.

Those are my ideas.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    This is going to sound strange , but i will suggest having someone who is qualified step in and instruct , anyone who is not you . Dont take it personal as to your level of skill or instructional ability , but do try it I wont post the entire logic here ( would be real long ) but many times it is the cure for seemingly simple issues .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Dry Fire, then Dry Fire, and maybe try some Dry Fire.

Not to put down what others might say, I hold no claim to know it all. But it worked for me, even a .22 if it was the first couple of shots at the start of some range time. Getting used to the trigger, and the feel of the gun, and it builds confidence. Eventually it will fade away.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

empty case balanced on the slide worked for my wife.
    -Biker

All of the above is good advice.
    How about hearing protection?
    is it adequate try plugs w/muffs, might help.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Administrator
    Go with a larger gun.

Flame away if you wish, then go try it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Load the magazines with snap caps and real rounds. She should notice the flinch and work to correct it. If it's a revolver, just load random chambers in the cylinder. It worked with my fiance.

EDIT: Really read your post, oops. Try getting her to say the phrase, "slow steady squeeze on the trigger and when it's ready it will fire" over and over as she practices really slow trigger control. That also can work.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

She can shoot .22 till she is cured. Then shoot the larger stuff.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

She has a Bersa 380 and a Ruger P95 9mm. She flinches with both guns.

She has no problem dry firing at home. She even puts a penny on the slide and has no problem pulling the trigger and keeping the penny on.

She uses earmuffs and earplugs. We have also added more padding in the muffs.

I would like her to get this worked out before she gets her permit, which should be soon.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

Slap her on the ass every time she does it.

J/K

But like Redneck says, GET SOMEONE ELSE to teach her. This is not a BAD thing or even a reflection on you or your gunhandling/teaching skills. Actually...get a WOMAN instructor! It's not that you don't know what you are doing - I'm sure you do! It's just that...well...wives are like that. Actually...men are too! Your wife can tell you how to do ***** over and over and over again and you (and me) will never listen! However...one of our buddies tells us the SAME THING and - TA-DA - It's the gospel!

JD
    Administrator
    I'm not familiar with the Ruger pistols enough to give any input, but the Bersa is a very light gun, and personally I don't find it enjoyable to shoot after 3 mags, it starts digging in and irritates my shooting hand, I have to agree with both suggestions of getting a .22 and a bigger gun, not so much larger caliber, but something with some more weight to it, if she likes the .380 maybe pick up one of the Beretta models.

Your obviously doing the dry fire exercises so I won't mention that.
    But I think something with less recoil or less felt recoil may help.

The age-old "Dime/Washer Exercise" does wonders...It's monotanous, but it works

smack?

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    Slap her on the ass every time she does it.

J/K

But like Redneck says, GET SOMEONE ELSE to teach her. This is not a BAD thing or even a reflection on you or your gunhandling/teaching skills. Actually...get a WOMAN instructor! It's not that you don't know what you are doing - I'm sure you do! It's just that...well...wives are like that. Actually...men are too! Your wife can tell you how to do ***** over and over and over again and you (and me) will never listen! However...one of our buddies tells us the SAME THING and - TA-DA - It's the gospel!
    Is that a gentle smack or a hard slap?

tk

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    .....I have to agree with both suggestions of getting a .22 and a bigger gun, not so much larger caliber, but something with some more weight to it, if she likes the .380 maybe pick up one of the Beretta models.
    My wife shoots better with our 6" .357 than she does with the lightweight 2" .38, even when shooting "light" rounds, even though her hands can barely fit around the grips. The extra mass of the .357 helps control the recoil.

Never try to teach your wife to drive, or shoot, or paint, or wallpaper, or .......

BTW, if the CCW qual in your state is anything like it is in AZ, tight groups are not required. Just hit the target.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links