Defensive Carry banner

P226.... Which one?

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  iPrint 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I am trying to find a local P226 to rent before making my first firearm purchase. Nobody seems to rent the P226 around here(South FL). I hear a lot of talk about the newer Sig's being far inferior to the older "West German" ones. Is this actually something I need to be aware of, and not purchase a U.S. made Sig, or is it not an issue?

I am looking for a large, 9mm range/HD gun. I am pretty set on the CZ-P01 but the numerous people telling me to try the Sig has me really intrigued. There's a ton of models on the site and I am also not sure which would be most suited for my needs. My only complaint of the CZ is that the slide is relatively thin and the trigger reset is fairly long. The P226 is supposedly better in both regards.

Any info on which model I should look for(tacops, mk25, West German, etc), and your opinions on this gun compared to the CZ-SP01 and others would be great. Thank you!

#4 ·
My MK-25 always works. What more would one expect?

#5 ·
The org as wonder notted are great triple proof all that coolnes

That said frankly I would love a newer Legion model or one with at least a SRT trigger
Legion Series | Sig Sauer

a mk25 is just a normal one with a tougher coating and the Anchor on it ...Cool looking guns though

If I was going to get one 226 it would a Legion first then a old school model org Tyson corner all that

Reactions: Wunderneun
#7 ·
Wonder makes a good case for the full blooded German Sigs. I've got a couple myself that I love. And the Legion also seems to be a great gun, but on the high end of the price range for sure. My 226 is of American vintage, in 9mm, and functionally I can't tell a difference between it and my German Sigs. Fit and finish on the Euro guns is better for sure though.

To me, I'd look for any of the models with the Short Reset Trigger system. The MK25, Extreme, Scorpion, Combat, and Elite are all fine examples with the real differences coming down to cosmetics. The grips on the Extreme and Scorpion are Hogue G10 Piranhas and feel awesome. Super grippy. The MK25 and Combat has the standard Sig grips IIRC. And the Elite comes with their newer E2 grip, which is my personal favorite for carry. I have them fitted on all my Sigs that they are available for. I have yet to put my hands on a Legion, but I hear the grips are wonderful. No reports yet on the adjustable trigger.

Best you can do if you can't find one to rent, is hit up a few stores and put some in your hands at least.

Good luck.

Reactions: SWIll
#11 ·
Honestly the only thing I see that they gained going to milled stainless was corrosion protection and production speed. The added strength may have been needed for the 40S&W and 357Sig, but that's about it. I've never heard or a 9mm 226 or P220 in any caliber having issues with the slide failing in any way. The only real nit I have to pick with the folded slide guns is I don't like the flat takedown lever. I've replaced all of mine with the new style. But that's just a simple part swap.

#13 ·
Tell me again, why does SIG-Sauer that has been around for 30 years or so suddenly need a beavertail? Was the web of Lou Ferrigno's hand or Arnold Schwarzenegger's hand all of a sudden experiencing hammer bite?

#18 ·
I always liked Sigs but every time I handled one I felt like I just couldn't get enough finger on the trigger. The tip of my finger was at a 45 degree angle at the top of the pull and I didn't like that. So I never bought one . . . until I tried the new E2 grip. That solved the problem for me so I bought my first Sig, a P226 Enhanced Elite. That one has all the bells and whistles including the already mentioned SRT. It's a great gun. I wanted the stainless one with the wood grips but it was back to being too fat again so I bought the black one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.