What influenced you?

What influenced you?

This is a discussion on What influenced you? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In this world that seems to be torn right down the middle on the gun issue I find it fascinating to find how some individuals ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What influenced you?

Senior Moderator

What influenced you?

In this world that seems to be torn right down the middle on the gun issue I find it fascinating to find how some individuals become gun advocates and others swear they will never touch the "tools of death."

This is not a "what influenced you to carry?" thread. This is "what influenced you to enjoy and look favorably on guns at all?"

Were you raised with guns? Did it come later in life? Was it a positive introduction through military or law enforcement service? Was it a negative experience?

What made you like guns?

No guns in my house but I had a BB gun early on. My folks were not against guns, just didn't have any around. I grew up in a less PC world where people didn't wet their pants at the thought of a gun. I shot guns at summer camp and loved shooting from the start. When I was old enough to own one, I did. Since then the world has become a less hospitable place and I realized that protecting myself and my family was my job, not the governments. As a result I became better at it, and better equipped.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I was raised around them, my father was in the military, hunted, and most all of my uncle's and cousins hunted also. It was the natural order of things. There were always guns in the house, and I new not to mess with them till I was shown how. It's wasn't a big mystery, so I didn’t fear them, nor did I "Have" to see what that thing is, what can it do. I knew, and looked forward to the next time I got to go shooting.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Senior Moderator
    I was raised with guns, hunting all manner of game and shooting when bored. I was fortunate to live in an area that was rather obscure. It was not unusual to see a kid walking down the road with a single shot shotgun broke over his shoulder.

I like them as a kid and found them fascinating. I knew what they were capable of at a young age.
    It was such a normal thing that I never gave them much thought otherwise.

When I was in the military many moons ago I went to several different countries that had dictatorships. Too make a long story short, what I saw there made me resolve to never be unarmed again.

Later on, and observing how people can act from the viewpoint of a Deputy Sheriff, I came to understand that some people have no respect for others and that the police can not be everywhere, nor will they be there when you need them. I came to believe that it is the sole responsibility of oneself to protect themselves and loved ones, and if need be even friends that would not or could not take that responsibility.

As a CHL Instructor, I train people how to do just that and to do it responsibly.

It is not the gun that I love, but rather the things that it protects.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Can't really say...

At first I was interested in firearms for Olympic style shooting, then i did more research and found action shooting. I hope to do both soon.
    If anti-gun legislators truly believed that guns kill people, the guns would be on the witness stand and the assailent would be holding the "Exhibit A" sign.

kpw
    Most of my family are hunters. Guns were like any other grown up thing around the house or camp. Just cooler to a young boy. I shot with my dad and uncles a lot as a kid, did more in scouts. I guess they've always just been a part of life. Seems natural to carry. I guess that might be why anti's seem so odd to me. How can they think that my family and I are a threat to them? Every gun owner I know are just regular people. Why are they so afraid of regular people? Makes no sense to me.

I grew up around guns... well, my folks didn't shoot, but my cousin and my uncle did. I spent a lot of time with them. At least once a month I would be out shooting with them.

After school, I moved away, and found that it was a lot easier to shoot if I just went out and bought my own guns rather than make the drive home.

So there was a good 5 or 6 year period in there where I didn't shoot much at all, and really formed no opinion... gun advocate, or anti.

Since I've started buying my own guns, carrying a gun, and teaching my kids to shoot, I think my political views have evolved along those current influences.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

I was raised around guns, hunting.
    A lot of outdoor activity that included shooting.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I had been around firearms my whole life and have always been facinated by them. I remember getting excited about my dad going hunting not because I was looking forward to see what he brought home but because this is when the guns came out. At this time he would let me touch them and help me shoulder them because I was too small to hold it my self. I remeber being amazed at how heavy they were compared to my toy guns.

By the time I was in junior high I had a .30-30 and a 20ga mossberg in my bedroom. When I was 14 i managed to talk my dad into buying me a ruger mark II pistol for Christmas. When I turned 18 in high school which was the same year the assault weapons ban went in to effect the first thing I did was buy a chinese SKS that took AK mags, followed shortly by a russian sks.

The funny thing is my dad was never really into guns that much. They were just tools he aquired to do a job that required them. If you want to deer hunt you need a rifle, like you need a chainsaw to cut down a tree.

It was and is different for me. I always looked forward to hunting because I got to use my guns. Deer hunting in particular has given me an appreciation and respect for just how powerfull these things are. I just always found it facinating that I could point my rifle at an animal 100yards away (I hunt in Ozark hill country thats about as far as it gets) squeeze the trigger and it falls dead!
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

No guns around home growing up. Did watch a lot of tv though, there was cool guns there.

I'm just gonna say: Because I'm a guy
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Hey Lima, what's your excuse?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

growing up, i didn't like guns. i grew up in NYC, so i lived in an anti gun atmosphere. plus, i'd had multiple close experiences with the effects of gun crime; too many of kids i grew up with were hurt or killed by them, or arrested for having them, etc. my dad had his service 1911, and a .38 police special, but kept them locked up. these pretty much shaped my "anti" view.

growing up, i trained in various martial arts, including weapons training (tantojutsu, iaijutsu). this also reenforced an "anti" mindset in me, due to traditionalist martialist naivete: guns are for the weak, they are cowardly, are dishonorable, etc.

in 1991, i was held up at gunpoint by some moron on the subway. after he cleaned me out, he pointed it at my head and pulled the trigger. it went click, and he giggled and ran off. all my training, all my honorable intentions, the knife in my pocket...none of it did me any good. i was still a victim. i bought my first gun (illegally) the next day: some cheapo .380 for $100.

after moving to PA, i started gun to a local range w/my dad, using the same guns he'd kept locked up for all those years. he'd recently added to his collection with a colt defender, a .44 Mag, and a black powder wheelgun. i still didn't care for guns, but i decided i should learn how to use them.

it wasn't until 3 years ago that it hit me: how is a gun any different from an open hand, a knife, or a katana? it isn't. the principle of katsujinken satsujinken (the sword that cuts down evil is the sword that gives life) applies to the gun as well as the sword, if not more so. i now approach firearms and their use as any another martial art, enhancing my ability to defend myself and loved ones, and as a mental discipline. i'm even training to qualify for PA act 235.

how's that for evolution?

My father was a drugdealing felon (whom I loved very much) and had many guns to include pistols, shotguns and an AR. After I left the home and joined the military it never occured to me to own a weapon. My first purchase was a shotgun for a drive from AK to WA in an RV w/3 kids. I had heard horror stories about people being robbed and such, thought it was a good idea to have some protection for those nights when we would be parked on the side of the roed in the middle nowhere Canada! Then on a recent deployment to the Middle east I watched the movie Hotel Rwanda. The entire movie I had a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach as I watched these people get butchered, I thought to myself "Why the hell dont these people have guns to defend themselves?" When I got home a guy in my shop who is an avid 2nd amendment person explained how the first move of a tyrannical gov't is to disarm the people. I have 3 kids and we want 3-4 more...the math equaled 1 XD 9mm and most likely many more to come. Ive been neck deep since then!

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Raised with guns around for hunting, my brother and I went plinking with .22's, I have a bunch of relatives that are farmers, I grew up watching westerns, Man from UNCLE, etc., the community I grew up in Michigan was very pro-hunting and pro-gun.

As I was growing up guns where neither bad or good. My step father had his M1 from WWII, it was just their.

I did some shooting in the Boy Scouts, .22 rifles. A summer camp I was at had a pistol range. One after noon I was walking by, and the older gentleman that was at the range asked if I would like to shoot his revolver. Must have been a .38, and what a blast for a small kid.

About 3 years back I got my first handgun, for personal protection. It was after that I discovered how much fun it was too shoot. And did a very good job of making me focus on just one thing. At least for a short time.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links