New 1911 Colt Commander .45- FTE / Double Feed.

This is a discussion on New 1911 Colt Commander .45- FTE / Double Feed. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey everyone.. its been a while since I reared my head so I thought it was time to pop in.. let's get right to the ...

Thread: New 1911 Colt Commander .45- FTE / Double Feed.

Question New 1911 Colt Commander .45- FTE / Double Feed.

Hey everyone.. its been a while since I reared my head so I thought it was time to pop in.. let's get right to the goods.

I recently purchased a Colt combat Commander XSE, in brushed stainless finish. This is my first 1911, and my first .45 ACP. I absolutely loved the way it felt in my hand.. the longer, slimmer grip design was great. I have never shot a 1911 before, but I really liked the way it felt. Just sucks about the single stacks capacity, but I suppose that is just part of the design.(Easy Glock guys, I still carry ole 27 daily! ) I took it to the range and put about 50 rounds through it and realized that I was not shooting very well in terms of where I was aiming. I found the rear sights coming loose. I could move them with my fingers back and forth. I have already been to Lowe's, (There wasn't one in the box!) it takes a 1/16th allen wrench, and I know I'll have to sight it back in and all that jive. I cant give much of a range report, but I believe I read one that Bud White wrote several months ago. (Now that I typed that I am going to search over that post immediately following posting this one) At the range out of the 50 or so rounds it did not stutter so far.

There was one thing. After I arrived home, I loaded the 2 mags that came with it just to cycle them through.. and on just about every mag it had some kind of FTE, and/or double feed. I racked it hard and released each time, I never ride the slide. I had about 6 total after going through the magazines several times each to try to decipher if it was one mag and not the other. I also cycled the Hydrashoks, as well as the ball ammo (Individual brands, not mixed ammo). I had the same problem with the Hydrashoks. In the 50 +/- rounds I shot through it today, I'll state again that I had 0 problems during live fire so far. I went to the Glock to run it down with the 12 rounds it contained and of course zero problems, it spit every one out fast as I could rack. After going through a couple magazines.. I realized that a few of the .45 rounds looked shorter.. one looked much shorter which is what caught most of my attention in the first place when I was gathering them up on the floor.. when I picked it up most of the bullet had been pushed back into a shorter, very unsafe kind of deal. I don't think I have experienced this with my .40? I looked at my .40 round and they all appeared to be the same length, in comparison with the ones new in the box. The .45 ACP ammo I was using was Independence. I think its made by Federal but I'm not sure. I also bought a box of Hydrashoks 165gr. I didnt notice any significant differences in the Hydrashoks although I think one was minutely shorter. It was hard to REALLY tell for sure.

I have several questions that arise from all this.

1. Is it common or MORE common for .45acp to get pushed back in the casing..than other, smaller calibers? Is this something I should be always checking for? Or possibly just the ammo?

2. Are the problems coming from my home racking fte/ double feeds any cause for alarm or reason to believe this might happen in live fire? A short explanation of your reasoning would be great!

3. What are the best mags? Are the Colt mags OK? Wilson, Chip McCormick?

4. I have no idea how to take this thing apart! Any helpful links? I hope it doesnt require some kind of tool because there wasnt any in there. Everything else was, just not the allen wrench, and no other hardware. Lock, book, 2 mags, pistol, a bright orange plastic clip kind of thing. all in plastic, info booklet I have not read yet but will tomorrow if anything is in there.

5. What are fellow .45acp owners using as defense ammo? In .40 I use Winchester Rangers T's in the White and black box. I'm sure hydrashoks are ok, but just curious about everyone else.

I think that about wraps it up for my questions at this point.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

2. Remove Ads

Nope bullet set back is usually not a problem with 45

What are the letters on bottom of colt mag?

All the ones i got last year with my colts are crap wont feed anything in any gun

Wilson 47d's and Chip MC powermags are my choice

Take down is easy for cleaning the manual should tell you let me see if i can find a link for take down

Hate sending ya to other sites but this has a great pic breakdown

http://www.m1911.org/full_striping.htm

Also forgot to add if it runs fine shooting its not really a big worry to me

Independence. is not federal as far as i know

their off brand is American eagle

OD*
    I'm with Bud. You didn't have any failures shooting the pistol, just when hand cycling? Not anything I'd worry about.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

OD*
    All the ones i got last year with my colts are crap wont feed anything in any gun
    Who was the maker Bud, and do you want to sell them?

~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    Nope bullet set back is usually not a problem with 45

What are the letters on bottom of colt mag? COLT 45 AUTO 8-ROUND "C" UPPER RIGHT AND "8" LOWER RIGHT CORNERS
    Hey Bud. Nice to see ya again buddy! How did the house work end up? Did the extra insulation you planned on putting in help you out in terms of power usage? How'd that whole thing go? (This is off subject so if you want to PM me thats fine.)

Thanks for the link too.
    Last edited by floridaguy911; April 2nd, 2007 at 11:44 PM. Reason: added 8 round
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    I'm with Bud. You didn't have any failures shooting the pistol, just when hand cycling? Not anything I'd worry about.
    Correct, just during hand cycling so far. Shooting to this point seemed flawless.

Would any of you colt/1911 aficionados recommend a reliability fluff and buff for this new pistol? If so what needs to be done to it besides having the ramp polished? (I'm not going to do it, I'm just curious)

I wonder why Colt doesn't just buff em out in the first place... or any other manufacturer for that matter.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member

OD*
    Would any of you colt/1911 aficionados recommend a reliability fluff and buff for this new pistol?
    Not before I had several hundred rounds thru the pistol, or if it is giving you problems.

I wonder why Colt doesn't just buff em out in the first place
    Honestly? Because they really don't need to have a mirror finish to function reliability. Polished ramps are one of those things people have come to expect, not realizing it is seldom needed. 2 million plus USGI pistols weren't throated and polished, and those USGIs that I have, will feed any bullet style I have tried in them. If you have feeding issues with a 1911, it is normally one of two things, the extractor, and or the magazine.

~ Tiger McKee

Administrator
    Buy one magazine from Tripp Research and try that out.

CLICK HERE

That should solve your feed and set back problem also.
    Your bullets should not set back into the cartridge cases just by hand cycling or chambering because the 45acp (fully chambered) seats on the case mouth...so your bullets are setting back at some point during the feed cycle.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsor
    QKShooter;

I've gone to all Tripp mags in the last two years myself. Good advice to check their products.

They build em as the orders come in, usually takes a week to get them made and out to you, but they have solved every problem I was having in the "sightless" 1911 I use in the training after trying others that should have solved the problem and didn't.

Can't recommend them enough to others.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Administrator

Thumbs up DITTO: Brownie

There really IS a difference in the Tripp Mags in that (NO BS) the cartridge is presented to the frame feed ramp and barrel chamber at a much more desirous angle.

See These Photos (below) Notice The Very Real Difference.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

nope i would wait on fluff and buff others will disagree but i wait to see if there are major problems first

Tripps are well made, but can also cause failures to feed in certain guns. I got a set of Tripp Research mags when I bought my Colt and found that the top of the feed lips were scraping the bottom of the slide. It was hanging up just enough to fail to go into battery. I talked to Virgil about it on the phone and he agreed it was a magazine problem. I'm now using Wilson tubes with Tripp followers and springs, they work great.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Links