Defensive Carry banner

xds 45 3.3 out of battery issues

7K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Nano65 
#1 ·
Hello everyone needed some help with the xds 3.3 45acp. I keep having an "out of battery" issue if that's what it's called. I can be on my 2nd or 4th round out of the magazine doesn't matter and the next round doesn't fully chamber. Its more than broken in with approx 1000 rounds through it already. Went to the range the other day and had this issue 12 times out of 170 rounds. Its always had this issue since i bought it new. I was doing some research and supposedly stiffer magazine springs will get rid of this issue. Only problem is I can't find any stiffer springs anywhere online. If anyone knows where to get stiffer mag springs I would greatly appreciate a link or something.

Ps I already sent it to springfield and they didn't find anything.

#4 ·
I don't know if I would just try to throw new springs into it right away.

Don't throw anything at me when I put out some ideas.
I've watched some slow-mo videos of the XDs 45 and although most think the recoil is reasonable for a .45 (not disagreeing) in Slo-mo it snaps pretty good. So, could you not have a firm enough grip on the gun until after a few rounds and then your securing it better after 2-4 rounds? Could you possibly be limp wristing? Seriously...just a question-k.

I would call Springfield again,12 times is a lot, I would try to send it again. If it came back again with "no problems found" I would look at my technique with this particular firearm. Have a buddy shoot the crap out of it and see if they can duplicate it.

Next I would try other magazines, then I would try other ammo. In fact, if Springfield found no problems I might assume ammo first.

Call James at Gunsmithing Services Provided by XD-HS2000. He knows XDs better than Springfield.

#5 ·
What kind of ammo, weight? Or does it do this for multiple different types of ammo?

I have found the XDS to be extremely picky with respect to ammo, especially hollow points. Had to go through about four brands before we found one that worked 100% in a friend's XDS.

#7 ·
I had the same problem with mine, didn't matter what ammo was used, which magazine, or how firm I held it. I finally put in a Powder River spring kit and the problem went completely away. I don't know if it was the spring kit or fixing an issue that disassembling it resolved, but either way, it is perfect now.

#9 ·
I'd try a new recoil spring first. I'd also look at the extractor closely for burrs/roughness.

Reactions: Old Man
#11 ·
Could be recoil spring - 1000 rounds isnt a whole lot but sometimes those springs take a pounding in smaller guns.

Could be crappy ammo...were you using premium or reman or reloads?

Does it happen with all mags or just one?

#12 ·
So it seems to happen with both mags. Every time I go to the range I use brass FMJ 230 grain. The brands I use are PMC, Blazer, Perfecta, and Winchester all 230. The last time I went to the range I also shot 20 rounds of Starefire hollowpoints and I had 1 malfunction so it doesn't seem to be the ammo. I'm already at the point of just selling it and getting an xdm45.

#15 ·
I'm curious what Springfield has to say. They're usually pretty easy to deal with. I've used mostly PMC, WWB, Freedom Munitions or Blazer Brass 230 FMJ in my XDS 45 and never had a problem. Never had a problem with any defense rounds either. This is my second XDS 45, and I've had another in 9mm. None of them needed a break in period, and I never had to use any especially hot ammo to get them to run either. It sounds like something is wrong, and it's not an ammo issue.

#16 ·
I had FTRTB and off center strikes ever since my XDs45 was new until I finally fixed it. I sent it to Springfield for them to fix it and I guess all it got was a fluff n buff because it was not fixed when I got it back. They test fired it and said they didn't see a problem.
The problem with my gun was that the extractor pressure on the rim of the round was causing so much friction that it occasionally prevented the slide from returning to full battery. Before the fix, doing a press check 1/8" to 1/4" with a round in the chamber would cause the slide to stick out of battery. I did not come up with the fix on my own but read about it and decided to try it. First thing I did was order one of the little green plastic pieces that goes inside the extractor spring in case I messed up. I then carefully cut 0.038" off the length of the green plastic and replaced it inside the extractor spring. Guess what, when I did a press check, no more problem with it hanging and not going back into battery. The guy who did the fix that I read about actually cut 0.050" off of his but I was being a little cautious. The next 250 rounds at the range were flawless. I understand that the XDs9 does not have the green plastic inside the extractor spring. I hope this helps and I sure do like this gun. My range ammo is usually Federal Champion 230 gr FMJ and carry ammo is Federal HST 230 gr.

#17 ·
As the previous post says...the green rubber piece that sits inside of the extractor spring could be the issue. The guy, in the article I read, completely removed his green rubber piece and it solved his out of battery and light primer strike issue. I figure they put it there for a reason...so like the previous post says just cut off .038" OR take it to the range with it removed and see if that fixes your problem. Wouldn't be hard to remove or reinstall right there at the range.

I've only got about 250 through my XDS .45 using Walmart Winchester FMJ white box and Gold Dot JHP. Have had no issue's yet.. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.