Defensive Carry banner

Need to ship a pistol

1K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  ThirdShift 
#1 ·
I'm driving the U-Haul for my oldest from Dallas to New York City (ugh).

I'll need to ship my gun back from Virginia before I get into Maryland or definitely from Pennsylvania before I get to New Yack.

I know I can UPS or FedEx the gun to a FFL. I know I should legally be able to ship the gun to myself, but the terms of carriage for UPS and FedEx require me to ship it to an FFL.

Does anyone know a place along I-81 or I-78 that I can ship from for cheaper than the thieves at UPS will charge me? I've got a guy here who's great.

#4 ·
You can ship it USPS just not 1st or second day. Do not mark the package that it's a firearm, and I believe you notify the clerk that it is. Check the USPS regulations before hand just to make sure.

#15 ·
Nope. Flying home. NY to Houston is $75 one way non-stop.

Unless the regulations have changed recently, only FFL to FFL can ship handguns via the postal service.
You are correct.

I'm not sure of the legalities of this suggestion, but could you have a pistol broken down and locked up and be within the law?

If you're flying back from New York even checking a pistol could land you in the hot seat.
Nope. This is not legal. Well, it is with UPS and FedEx, but if the serial number part gets lost in the mail, I get zero insurance.

Another thought, again not sure of the legalities of this, but could you possibly break your pistol down, mail the barrel back to your home address and keep the rest with you?

It'd be pretty hard to justify prosecuting a guy for having a pistol rendered beyond non functional.
NYC will prosecute me.

I used shipmygun.com which is run by Bud's. Cheapest price I could find.
Looking at that.

I've got a guy that I use as my FFL here in town. He's great. I called him and he said "Sure. Send it to me. I won't even charge you. All I'm doing is handing you your gun anyway."

Lol. He gets ALL of my FFL business. So he doesn't care. At all.

Lock it up when you need to, rent a car in NYC, drive to Philly and fly home. :smile:
Yeah. But that $75 fare.....

#7 ·
I'm not sure of the legalities of this suggestion, but could you have a pistol broken down and locked up and be within the law?

If you're flying back from New York even checking a pistol could land you in the hot seat.

Reactions: gatorbait51 and OD*
#8 ·
Another thought, again not sure of the legalities of this, but could you possibly break your pistol down, mail the barrel back to your home address and keep the rest with you?

It'd be pretty hard to justify prosecuting a guy for having a pistol rendered beyond non functional.

Reactions: gatorbait51
#14 ·
I recently made a one way Uhaul trip from SC to Rochester, NY, with a one way flight home the next day. Knowing it would be illegal to travel with a firearm to NY, I was forced to carry a knife only for the 16 hour drive. At the Uhaul place, i gave the knife to the worker finishing my paperwork. I felt naked and unprotected, but I did what I felt was best for me and avoided the hassles you are facing.

Good luck. Short of stopping in PA and shipping the gun to an FFL in Dallas, I have no advice.

#17 ·
Take a look at the ATF regulations, I haven't looked in awhile but I believe you can ship it to yourself with no issues. Ship it to yourself in care of someone you trust as long as it is not opened by anyone but you when you get back I believe you will be OK, but double check the regs to be sure.
As for USPS, that is still a nono. Ship it UPS, FEDEX, or any common carrier just not USPS>

#18 ·
I'd stop at an FFL in the last legal state and have it ship the gun to your local FFL. Gotta be cheaper than FX or UPS.

#19 ·
My understanding you can fed-x it. But only over night shipping. Make sure you have a case to put it in. I would make sure you have some one to receive it. When I shipped to Colt this is the way I shipped it. Talked to a couple of people and they have shipped this way.

#20 ·
Or..... Just leave it at home and do what you need to do. Sometimes the hassle isn't worth the trouble

#21 ·
Uh. No.

On a positive note, I found a LGS (Donley's Gun Shop) in PA just outside NY state that will ship it back directly to me for their UPS ground cost. So, about $32. I'll toss in another 10 or 20 because they are awesome and helping me out. But that's it.

Except for the 20 minutes through the narrow part of MD where I'll have to case and lock it up, my Texas permit is good for every state I'm going through.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.