Defensive Carry banner

CZ-75 SP-01 Decocker vs Safety for first time buyer

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  iPrint 
#1 ·
Hey all, I am strongly considering buying a CZ-75 SP-01 as my first gun. I am holding out until I find a P226 to shoot as I have heard very good things about that gun.

For my personal needs, what would be a more appropriate model. The manual safety or decocker version?

The gun will be in a safe for home defense and as a range gun.

From what I understand if I buy the safety version this gun is essentially a SA gun that functions like a 1911 but has the option of being in DA if I were to manually hand-decock it, correct?

Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
I too am looking seriously at the CZ-75 SP-01 but as an IPSC gun. I hear lots of great things about it. I have been trying them in the store and reading up on them. The safety can only be engaged when the hammer is cocked so it's cocked and locked only. I like DA/SA so I have no desire for cocked and locked. The other thing that bothers me on the safety model is to decock, you have to take off the safety and pull the trigger. You keep your thumb on the hammer and lower it softly. Keep in mind you're doing this over a live round in the chamber so don't sneeze or cough. So I'm probably going to go with the decocker model. That one has a funky feature as well. When you decock, the hammer stays half cocked. The trigger pull is the same DA pull except the first half of the pull is "empty" (all slack). I like the gun but it's kind of weird that way. If you want plain vanilla DA/SA with a decock lever and no safety (which I would recommend for a duty gun or carrying OWB) then go with the P226. I have one and like it a lot. If you want DA/SA/Decock and a safety that works in DA or SA then you want an HK in V3 with a hammer and a safety.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.