Good first shotgun?

This is a discussion on Good first shotgun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm considering buying a used Mossberg 835 shotgun. I was planning on a Mossberg 500, or an 870, but this one is used but in ...

Thread: Good first shotgun?

Good first shotgun?

I'm considering buying a used Mossberg 835 shotgun. I was planning on a Mossberg 500, or an 870, but this one is used but in good shape for a good price. It'll be an everything gun, HD, predator control around the farm, and a little bit of trap and skeet. I like the idea of 3.5" shells, and a nice tight pattern... especially with buckshot at slightly longer ranges for coyote. I imagine it would be difficult to shoot trap with with such a tight choke, but if I get good with it I should be good with everything I figure (no competition or anything, just Saturday afternoon with the guys). Inabilty to shoot slugs in the same barrel isn't a problem, slug barrels are available if I want to go that way, and since its drilled and tapped for a scope that might be a lot of fun.

Basically I'm just checking to see if there's anything I missed. Any reason not to get a turkey gun for my use? It'd be my second shotgun, the other being a NEF 20 gauge single shot youth... so a big step up.
    Be Prepared

2. Remove Ads

Seems like I hear a lot about people wanting an "all purpose" gun be it shotty, rifle, or handgun. It also seems like they end up getting multiple specialized firearms to fit each need instead.

My advice would be to start with this one and see how it works for you.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

I prefer an 870; the Moss is a good gun. No removable chokes? I thought that all Mossbergs capable of shooting 3.5" shells had interchangable chokes. If it is full choke you can go to the smith and get it enlarged to Modified and you will get more reliable patterns. That being said; always work on patterning your weapon chosing different shot sizes and powder loads. You will be amazed at the differences you will see.
    No reason not to use the Mossberg for a turkey gun; I think that you can buy turkey loads in 3.5.

Thank you papascout, you're right. As I continue to think about it, I realize that I'll just have to start buying and never be done... which will be fun As an aside, are you involved with scouts? I'm an Eagle scout and can't wait to start giving back to scouting, I got so much from scouting, including an introduction to shotguns.

I believe the choke is removeable, so thats not so much of an issue. Its my understanding that the 835, being made to be a turkey gun, has some wierd type of barrel that give better range and patterns, as well as recoil reduciton. Its the boy scout in me that just wants to launch 3.5 inches down range every once in a while just for the heck of it.
    Be Prepared

My brother-in-law has an 835. ******* shotgun. Be careful shooting 3.5's in it - it's definately a "man's" gun. He made the mistake of shooting a turkey with it while sitting under an old oak tree, like he always has for upteen years - BOOM! - damn near broke his back and shoulder!

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I like either a Remington 870 or 1100.Mossberg shotguns just don't
    do a thing for me .I guess it's a generational thing as I grew up with
    Remingtons.Nothing wrong with mossberg though.

I love my Mossberg 590, with it's tactical sythetic stock and forearm...however...I want an 870 with it's rich walnut furniture too. Galco makes a cool tan leather shell holder that "laces on" to the stock. Sexy!

I'm a Browning BPS fan. I have two 12ga. & a 10 ga. no problems with any of them.

870 for my personal shotgun.
    500 for patrol, agency issue.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I would say the finest pump shotgun ever made is the 870. I think it is a better quality shotgun than the Mossbergs and it is my primary home defensive weapon. Mine is a bird gun still with the wood but I have a 20 inch barrel with rifle sights and a mag extension. I also kept the vent rib 28 inch barrel for shooting clay targets and for hunting purposes.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Personally, I keep two H&K Benelli M1Super 90's ready for home defense (one upstairs, one down). I am also a big fan of the 870, for an everything gun you can't beat it. With a simple barrel swap it can go from duck gun to duck & cover gun. The one thing I'd watch out for though, is the express models. Functionally they are the same as any 870, but the trigger groups are housed in plastic, and you have to slightly modify the gun in order to install a mag extension.

What I'd do is go to your local police supply store, or a gun store that serves your PD and see if they have any department turn ins. I found some 18.5 inch 870 Police Magnums at my local police supply for around $160 each about a year ago, and they will accept any 870 barrel/accessories. If you shop around you can get some great deals.

The Mossbergs are good guns too. I have a 20" 590A1 I keep in my workshop as a backup. I don't have any experience with the 835.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Thank y'all. I've read through a lot of the whole Mossberg/Remington/some other brand debate and am probably going to go for this gun. I definately want to pick up a good looking 870 Wingmaster for, and an O/U eventually, with who knows what else along the way.
    Be Prepared

I prefer 870's. I've had one for 10 years and it's been through hell. I clay shoot, duck,goose,10,000+ rounds through it...etc. It's been stepped on, dropped, covered in snow, soaked in the rain, left in the bottom of a duck boat outside for a week and never has it once ever not gone bang or anything gone wrong with it. They are the "Glocks" of shotguns IMHO. Plus I hate the way the safety works on the Mossburg and they also just don't feel as solid as a Remington. I had a 500 for a while and just did not care for it.

Links