CNN Center shooting

CNN Center shooting

This is a discussion on CNN Center shooting within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A shooting has been reported at the CNN Center in Atlanta. Details are still coming in at this time, but thus far... Makes for a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CNN Center shooting

CNN Center shooting

A shooting has been reported at the CNN Center in Atlanta. Details are still coming in at this time, but thus far...

Makes for a positive argument for workplace carry. It may not have saved the woman that was shot, but it would ensure that the guy didn't have a chance to try it again.

Don't you just love it though. Turner is anti, but his security is armed.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    One of our members works at a TV station down there, I'm thinking its' not CNN, but I can't remember, He did a tv interview about loosing weight, been searching, but can't find the post, I'll keep looking.

Edit to add,

Sig P239 works for Fox News, and he's in the Memphis area, well shoot, at least I got the region right.

The post I was looking for
    Last edited by 4my sons; April 3rd, 2007 at 05:10 PM.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Senior Moderator
    A man witnessed the bad guy dragging her by her hair but had to leave and get security. Less than a minute later she was shot. If HE had had a gun, he might have been able to save her right there.

Charles Williams, who works in technology services for Turner, saw a man dragging a woman by the hair one level above where the shooting occurred. The man told him to get out of the way. Williams went to get a guard, and then saw the man apparently take the woman downstairs. He heard gunshots less than a minute later.
    Not to mention her baby...
    The woman was pregnant, witnesses told The Atlanta Journal Constitution.
    Yeah, guns are useless for self defense, let's just forget to mention that it was a gun that finally stopped this guy but ONLY AFTER he already shot a pregnant woman.

ARRRRGGGHHHH..

Sad situation. I read through this story and saw a number of witnesses who watched as this guy dragged this woman through the hallways, at one point down an escalator it appears, and then shot her point blank while people sat and watched. These "witnesses" should be absolutely ashamed of themselves for letting this woman die. I am absolutely digusted by the display of cowardness that a number of these individuals showed.

Things like this help solidify one of the big reasons I carry to protect myself and my family. It's more and more obvious that there certainyl won't be anyone else out there who'll step up to help out. Don't count on your fellow human beings to come to your aid!

Absolutely disgusting...
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

oh my lord.....

you see hero's after incidents saying they thought they "just did what anyone would do" until you see something like this and wonder why ANYONE didnt step in and stop this!!

sad, truly disappointing

CNN is actively trying to disarm us ... while I'm saddened by the death of this woman (its a senseless tragedy and she in no way deserved to die like this), I still can't help but think that she and all the cowards that watched her die are part of the problem here.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    very sad situation.

I have to wonder, though... it's easy to look back and say "well, someone should have helped." How many times have we all heard this piece of advice --> Don't get involved in a domestic dispute. You may well get attacked by the very person you are trying to help. Let the cops handle it.

A guy dragging a woman away by the hair sure looks like a young-love-gone-bad situation to me, unless he has clearly demonstrated other motives.

Sad to say, I don't know if I would intervene before he shot her, or just be a good witness and get on the horn to 911. Now, after his first shot, I'd say his intentions are clear, and if I had a good firing lane, I would take it.

But, who's to say that if someone had stepped out, told the guy to get on the ground, and shot him when he didn't comply, the woman wouldn't have picked up the gun and shot her "hero" or otherwise attacked him?

At the end of the day, all you can know is what you see. If what you don't see is critical, and you act anyway, you'll still have to deal with the consequences. In this case, unfortunately, two people ended up dead, and we don't know how it would have turned out if any of the witnesses had been armed and intervened.

Charles Williams, who works in technology services for Turner, saw a man dragging a woman by the hair one level above where the shooting occurred. The man told him to get out of the way. Williams went to get a guard, and then saw the man apparently take the woman downstairs. He heard gunshots less than a minute later.
    Captain America's dead, didn't you hear..........?

They had a video of the aftermath of the shooting on CNN. You had one guy covering the perp with his gun and NO ONE helping the woman! What the heck are people just standing around for?
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    CNN (Communist News Network) how can that be? They are as anti gun as you can get.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    very sad situation.

I have to wonder, though... it's easy to look back and say "well, someone should have helped." How many times have we all heard this piece of advice --> Don't get involved in a domestic dispute. You may well get attacked by the very person you are trying to help. Let the cops handle it.

A guy dragging a woman away by the hair sure looks like a young-love-gone-bad situation to me, unless he has clearly demonstrated other motives.

Sad to say, I don't know if I would intervene before he shot her, or just be a good witness and get on the horn to 911. Now, after his first shot, I'd say his intentions are clear, and if I had a good firing lane, I would take it.

But, who's to say that if someone had stepped out, told the guy to get on the ground, and shot him when he didn't comply, the woman wouldn't have picked up the gun and shot her "hero" or otherwise attacked him?

At the end of the day, all you can know is what you see. If what you don't see is critical, and you act anyway, you'll still have to deal with the consequences. In this case, unfortunately, two people ended up dead, and we don't know how it would have turned out if any of the witnesses had been armed and intervened.
    Ive got to agree with this. I could point to many time on here where people say dont get involved. I'm sure it looked like a normal "spat". I would venture to say , many on here wouldnt get involved anymore than to call 911 out of their own safety. Like the ol saying goes, hine sight is 20 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Zundfolge View Post
    CNN is actively trying to disarm us ... while I'm saddened by the death of this woman (its a senseless tragedy and she in no way deserved to die like this), I still can't help but think that she and all the cowards that watched her die are part of the problem here.
    I don't think she was a part of CNN. I think it said she worked for Omni, which I would guess just had an office in that building? At any rate...to second what another poster said...don't count on your fellow human beings.
    A few folks discussed this issue briefly in our office...sad numbers in the womans favor here. It seemed to me that about 3/4 of our office would have tucked tail and run or locked themselves in their office...I'm not quite sure I have a word for those folks...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by purple88yj View Post
    A shooting has been reported at the CNN Center in Atlanta. Details are still coming in at this time, but thus far...

Makes for a positive argument for workplace carry. It may not have saved the woman that was shot, but it would ensure that the guy didn't have a chance to try it again.

Don't you just love it though. Turner is anti, but his security is armed.
    I live about 30 minutes north of Atlanta in one of the bedroom communities.

My wife and stepson were just there 2 weeks ago for a field day trip with the Junior H.S.

There are no guns placards posted everywhere down there and I was very uneasy with the fact that they went.

Remember I am a North Georgia native and have lived here within an hours drive of Atlanta all my life, I have also seen the cities decline as well.

The mindsets of the many are truly despicable with regard to the errosion of our gun rights as a whole.

Truly sad to hear of the woman and unborn childs fate.

Did anyone see the knee jerk comments from police chief pennington?

Basically said there were guns in too many peoples hands and that they should not be able to have them.

What would you expect to hear from the former New Orleans police chief?
    TecRsq
    North Gawga

The Oath of the Right-Wing Extremist:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands. One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    They had a video of the aftermath of the shooting on CNN. You had one guy covering the perp with his gun and NO ONE helping the woman! What the heck are people just standing around for?
    I'm guessing, but could it be that after being shot "point blank" there was no help to be rendered to her corpse?! I don't know the timing of this video you refer to, but the first order of business is to secure things; to focus on rendering aid before then is to invite further bloodshed.

As for the other comments folks made about intervening--How about you are there, intervene, and as a result the BG then shoots the woman? You would be to blame for her death. These situations are very complex, and to indict bystanders for cowardice because they stood by and didn't intervene just doesn't make sense to me.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    Ive got to agree with this. I could point to many time on here where people say dont get involved. I'm sure it looked like a normal "spat". I would venture to say , many on here wouldnt get involved anymore than to call 911 out of their own safety. Like the ol saying goes, hine sight is 20 20.
    Uh...a "normal spat" does NOT involve a firearm and dragging a woman down an escalator and through a building. The BG needed to be DRT...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links