How to build your collection without breaking the bank

This is a discussion on How to build your collection without breaking the bank within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have posted a few deals on handguns I have come across, and have built an impressive collection over about a ten year period. Most ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to build your collection without breaking the bank

Administrator

How to build your collection without breaking the bank

I have posted a few deals on handguns I have come across, and have built an impressive collection over about a ten year period.
    Most of them I paid about 50 to 60% of the true value. Some I paid far less, and some I paid nothing for.
    Here are some tips and tricks I have learned about buying/selling guns.

Dont be afraid to pay retail price for the first few purchases. Stay with the mom and pop gun shops. The big boys have no loyalty and will not remember you a month later. The clerks have no authority to cut you a better deal when the time comes. Just make sure that those guns you pay full price for are ones you'll keep.

Never trade in your gun on a new gun. Consign it, or sell it outright.
    Shops make the most money in used guns. Trading for a used gun is less painful, but avoid it if you can.

Mark up on new guns is not a lot maybe 10-15 percent. Shops do not have a lot of wiggle room there. Used guns the mark up is higher, you can deal there.

Operate you collection like a business. If you find a good deal on something you dont want, buy it anyways. You can turn around and sell it, or trade it for what you do want.

Always carry some dealing cash with you. You never know when your going to find a deal, and cash is king. I cant tell you how many times someone was asking $500. for a gun, I pull out three $100.'s and the price drops for the cash. Strike while the iron is hot!

Stay out of pawn shops. Once in a while you can find a deal there, but I dont waste my time. Pawn shops make their money the same way you are looking to score a deal. It just doesnt work out that way.

Never never never impulse buy. Know what you want before you shop. Never buy the latest and greatest. Value of those items drop like a rock. Great case would be the XD's. A year ago they were selling in the upper 400 range, now the used gun cases are full of them in the high 300/low 400. If you bought one and like it, thats great, but its not piece to have for the sake of collecting.

Never buy a gun that has had custom work done. If you have custom work done on your gun, understand that means nothing when it comes time to sell it. It drops value more often than adds.

Stick to the classics, or proven guns. They hold value much better, and are a quick sell if you need cash. This is why I pick up Glocks left and right. They sell quick, and I can buy them cheap. I've been know to buy "broken" guns and fix 'em up and trade them away. I love people who think their gun is broke, it always shoots "low and left".

Always use a FFL for the sales of your handguns. It doesnt cost you (the seller) a dime, and it protects you legally. Shotguns and rifles I'm not such a stickler on this rule, but I still prefer it.

Never lie to sell a gun. Treat people honestly. Your reputation as a collector is gold. Have a good rep., and people will bring you good deals.

Dont be afraid to make an offer. A lot of people have no idea what anythings worth. Some will sell you a Kimber for $250, and others want $250. for a high point.
    At the same time, because it belongs to you does not mean that its worth more. Most of the time it means its worth less.

Network! I cant say it enough. Let your shooting buddys know what you are looking for. More guns I have found deals on I didnt find at all. It was a friend who happened on it and called to tell me about it. I have had friends on vacation or business trip find a deal, called me up and I told them to buy it. They bring it back or have it sent to my FFL, and I send them the cash.

Look for all those guns with the "low and left" syndrom. A lot of guys will dump a gun because its "broken" of the sights are "off". Reality is they just dont know what they are doing, but wont listen to those who do. Buy their gun cheap before they hurt themselves.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by SIXTO; April 8th, 2007 at 04:04 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Good read 6'2"

Some good advice, I've got the best deals with cash also.

Plus you can say that's all the money I got.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Always carry some dealing cash with you. You never know when your going to find a deal, and cash is king. I cant tell you how many times someone was asking $500. for a gun, I pull out three $100.'s and the price drops for the cash. Strike while the iron is hot!
    Works well at gun shows... I'd figure it would be better for the seller to leave with $300 instead of - $25 for the table - $x.xx for gas money, - $y.yy for lunch... etc

Lead Moderator
    Or buddy up to Sixto, since he seems to be a low cost gun price kinda magnet.
    Some good suggestions , thanks.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Good thoughts. Stuff to keep in mind. Spokane's big gun show is this weekend (1000 tables). I'll be going on Friday, but probably not buying much.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

good advice.... thanx !
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Well my solution is to buy Norinco, I have 3 new guns for less than $1,000 and since our prices are 30-40% more per gun than yours M&P=$700, Sig 226=$1,000, etc they are a way to get a variety of guns into the collection. Now I am looking at a old German police P-38 for $375.

Administrator
    Oh yeah, for you Canadians, travel south the guns are cheaper.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    I added the most important tip, I cant believe I forgot that one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Or buddy up to Sixto, since he seems to be a low cost gun price kinda magnet.
    Some good suggestions , thanks.
    I was thinking the same thing. I haven't been able to find XD's at that price. Wouldn't mind a having a Glock either.

HMMM... Damn, you all for making my mouth water.

I tend to find Computers and IT related gear at severe discounts.

Sounds like I need to do some trading.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    We'd all do well to listen to Sixto's words of wisdom.

Everything he says is the truth.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Becoming a US citizen is a good way to accumulate free guns, I got a few as 'welcome to being an American' presents.

As for bargains, the best I have done so far is to get discount on used guns for using cash and getting ammo/holster thrown in.

I'm guessing part of Sixto's MO in getting so many guns for pennies on the dollar is to throw a couple of flashbangs in the store and then jump through the door in an ATF vest and confiscate everything for 'investigation'.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    I'm guessing part of Sixto's MO in getting so many guns for pennies on the dollar is to throw a couple of flashbangs in the store and then jump through the door in an ATF vest and confiscate everything for 'investigation'.
    I used to have accounts set up at some manufactures for product testing, but that has gone away since I stopped training people, except for LEO's. Most of them let me keep the guns after I was done with them.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator

Thumbs up

This was a good read, I definately agree on staying out of the Gander Mountain/Cabellas type stores haggling with a corporation is non-existant.

The biggest thing IMHO that was left out, was the mere fact that you have to shop around.

Here in Pa I can get $50-$100 cost variation based on what geographic area I'm shopping in, If I go west I can auotmaticly knock down the price.

Also, don't expect deals to fall in your lap, you've gotta hunt them down.

Don't know what a fair price is? Check out GunsAmerica and see what the used guns are going for, that should atlest give you an idea of your bargaining room.

As stated $$$ is king, the great equalizer.

Also, know your shops, I traveled to 3 shops yesterday just scoping them out and asking how much I could sell them my Kimber CDP .40 for, two shops said $400-$450 (it's a .40, not too much demand)

The last shop I went to mainly delt in used guns only and he quoted $600. This is the guy I will shop with, mainly because he's not out to rob anyone and his prices were fair.

Also, look at the hours of the shop, if they are closed more than they are open, odds are that you can make a cash offer and they will take it. This last shop I went to is getting ready to go to "Summer hours" because the owner shoot high power rifle competitions, this means that he has a store and AND an expensive hobby to maintain, and cash deals are ALL WAYS the preferred method.

I had one store open up on a noramally closed day just because I was paying cash.

Also, if you ever do trade in a gun or sell outright to a shop, go back and check the mark up that the shop put on it. That right there will tell you how much you lost. Expect atleast a 25-50% markup, that's how they make money.

If you are selling, sell it online here or any other forum you can find. Advertisement is the key. The more people that can see what your selling the better.

This is an excellent resource for me. I'm in college so as you can guess, money doesn't grow on trees. Little tips and tricks are very nice to have. I've learned alot more than I have anticipated on these forums, and this is another word of advice I can take in. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links