True Story: real ACCIDENTAL discharge!

This is a discussion on True Story: real ACCIDENTAL discharge! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So an old friend of mine who joined the navy over a year ago came home on leave for a week. We decided to go ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: True Story: real ACCIDENTAL discharge!

So an old friend of mine who joined the navy over a year ago came home on leave for a week. We decided to go shooting yesterday, and he brought two guns: a Marlin semi auto .22, and an old Remington 700 chambered for .30-06.

We were plinking for awhile with our .22s, and he decided to break out the big 700. Took it out of the case, removed the bolt, inspected the bore, put the bolt back in, cycled the bolt, and put five rounds in. Cycled the bolt again to chamber a round, and tried to pull the trigger.

It wouldn't budge.

After confirming the safety was OFF, he pulled again; the trigger stayed stationary. At that point I came over to see what was wrong. He handed the rifle to me (all the while with the rifle pointed safely downrange), and I tried pulling the trigger. It wasn't moving a millimeter. I rotated the bolt handle up about a half inch and jammed it back down stiffly, and tried pulling the trigger. Nothing. After looking at the gun quizzically for a few seconds, BOOM!

The gun had fired without so much as a finger inside the trigger guard. Freaked us both out something fierce; fortunately the round went downrange and into the hillside. Thinking it was a horrible fluke, I cycled the bolt again, jamming the bolt handle down hard like I did last time. I didn't even attempt to pull the trigger. BOOM again, maybe 4 seconds after I took my hand off the bolt handle. Again, the rifle was pointed in a safe direction (downrange). Still scared the bejeezus out of us.

I have no idea what caused these true-to-life ADs, but after we pulled the bolt out of the gun, we removed the remaining cartridges from the bottom of the mag well, and put it back in its case. He's taking it to a gunsmith this weekend, I'll let you know what it ends up being.

My hypothesis is a worn sear, but I could very well be wrong. Any other comments/questions are welcome.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

VIP Member
    WOW , so it IS true. Guns really do go off by themselves.....Luckily it didnt decide to kill somebody.

VIP Member
    If I remember correctly Remington has a recall on some old 700's. I would contact Reminton Customer Service and see if this one missed the upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    Guns really do go off by themselves.....Luckily it didnt decide to kill somebody.
    LMAO!!!
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

It's Mechanical...Stuff Happens!

Fortunately, you followed the safety rules, thus preventing any injuries!

Get thee to a 'smith'...NOW!

It's mechanical...the problem can be found and fixed.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Fortunately, you followed the safety rules, thus preventing any injuries!
    Yup. That'll do it every time. Amazingly effective, those li'l buggers. The fab four, for sure. Rules to live by.

It's mechanical...the problem can be found and fixed.
    Hard to say. Those pesky, willful guns have a lot of angst. Hey, GG ... you're not a gun-toting liberal in disguise, now, are you?

Glad everyone is okay.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Lead Moderator
    Wow, not fun with broken guns. A buddy I know had a pistol that would fire when the safety was disengaged. Not cool.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I had that happen once with a Remington 600. It'll definitely get your attention. Fortunately I also had it pointed in a safe direction.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Well now I'll have to stop saying, "They are all negligent discharges, I have never heard of an accidental discharge."
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    I had a weatherby orion over-under that had a mechanical failure, so that it would fire both barrels immediately when you closed the action, regardless of safety position before closing. Wow. happend at station number 5 at the skeet range. big hole in the ground 1 yd in front of me. did it every time after the first instance. sent it to walker arms in selma, which was the weatherby official repair station. they fixed it, and it is fine. but man oh man.
    Be careful!
    God Bless us and protect us. and remember- Christians, please reflect on the Passion today between noon and 3.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Administrator
    An Accidental Discharge is always possible with a firearm that is not in proper working condition or one suffering from some mechanical failure.
    Substandard assembly/workmanship or low quality parts used in manufacture.

Accidental CAN be termed negligent if the firearm is pointed in an unsafe direction.

Attempts at home gun-smithing can also result in a future AD if the person doing the work does not know what he/she is doing.

Some Accidental discharges can be ultimately be traced back to some sort of negligence though - just not at the exact time of the detonation.

For instance if you go into a pawn shop and buy an older Zinc Die Cast El'Cheapo "no~name" semi-auto for $40.00 and then don't have inspected by a gunsmith and it Accidentally Discharges...I would call that a form of negligence or ignorance.

If you lighten your own trigger on a handgun and and fit aftermarket critical parts and don't know exactly what you're doing...and that firearm unexpectedly discharges at some future point in time I would term that an Accidental but, Ignorant Discharge.

As a rule though...high quality - undamaged firearms of proved design - properly maintained - and in proper working condition do not discharge accidentally.

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    WOW , so it IS true. Guns really do go off by themselves.....Luckily it didnt decide to kill somebody.
    LOL - no...it didn't go off by itself...If they had left it there untouched it still wouldn't have fired....They had to cycle a round and close the bolt. Then it fired... So... it didn't go off by itself. It will be iteresting to see where the failure is though...firing pin stuck sticking out of the bolt maybe (due to dirty conditions)?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefs-special-guy View Post
    sent it to walker arms in selma, which was the weatherby official repair station. they fixed it, and it is fine. but man oh man.
    Don't know if you have heard that Walker Arms closed their doors for good last November. Folks had gotten old and didn't want to continue working. Evidently no one wanted to buy the business. I thought that a guy from here who had retired from the Army a couple of years ago and had been working there for about 18 months might take over, but he didn't. A number of manufacturers are now without a repair center. Bersa only had two in the US, Walker Arms and one in Colorado.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    dr cmg-
    yes, somebody told me walker closed. i knew about the late ralph walker. i used the place for shotgun stuff ( i am primarily a sporting clays/quail guy). always first class excellent work, and at a reasonable cost. their closing was a real loss- it seems more and more difficult to find skilled gunsmithing that does not require shipping to some distant location.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Please, nobody tell Hillary that guns go off by themselves!
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links