Detroit area office shooting

This is a discussion on Detroit area office shooting within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Actually, a nice place in "nothing bad ever happens here" suburbia, just 5 miles north of me. Some gun decided hurt some people today. It's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detroit area office shooting

Actually, a nice place in "nothing bad ever happens here" suburbia, just 5 miles north of me. Some gun decided hurt some people today. It's a good thing all the good guns were at home, or else the bad gun might have gotten hurt.

TROY, Mich. -- Troy police are at the scene of a workplace shooting inside Gordon Advisors Accounting Firm.

Police received a tip call on Monday morning stating there was a shooting on the second floor of the 1301 Long Lake Crossings building on Long Lake Road.

The shooter has been identified as Anthony Lacalamita, 38. He is about 5 feet 8 inches tall and weighs 180 pounds. He has short dark hair and was wearing a dark-colored sweater. He is still armed with either a rifle or shotgun.

Local 4 News confirmed that one woman has died and two men are injured, but Lt. Gerry Scherlinck has not confirmed because he said in an interview that it may put people in jeopardy.

Some employees have barricaded themselves inside their offices, while others have been evacuated and taken to a nearby building.

Witnesses inside the building said there are armed police officers and guards outside. Officials have secured the basement and first floor and are working to secure the other floors.

Ten members of the SWAT team entered the building in full gear but have not come out yet, according to Local 4 News.

Employees are being removed from the building in sections and taken to a neighboring building.

There were injuries reported, but how many people were involved and the extent are not known at this time.

Police are searching for a silver 2007 Ford Fusion and said it may be related to the shooting. The license plate is BEY 0843.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    The usual thoughts come to mind... Is the business/building a gun free zone? (well, apparently they aren't, regardless of any signage they may have had.) Could an armed victim/witness have made a difference? Another tragedy that might possibly have had a much different ending if people were more informed and proactive in their own defense.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

This is exactly why I have quit paying attention to the SIGNS unless it's a place designated by LAW
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by frostyeyes View Post
    This is exactly why I have quit paying attention to the SIGNS unless it's a place designated by LAW
    Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by frostyeyes View Post
    I've been contemplating this, and think I may do the same. Just remember that the NO DUTY TO RETEAT LAW (in MI) WILL NOT APPLY to you if you are in a place with a sign. Still defend yourself of course, just might want to give retreat a little effort if yourconcerned about being legal.

bottom line: there's no such thing as a gun free zone, sign or not.

Interesting that he used a long gun rather than a pistol. I'm waiting (with some trepidation) to hear if it was an EBR or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Interesting that he used a long gun rather than a pistol. I'm waiting (with some trepidation) to hear if it was an EBR or not.

EBR?

VIP Member
    Evil Black Rifle, aka an AR or AK series rifle, generally speaking.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Evil Black Rifle.

They were making a big deal out of him using a long gun on the news. A pistol can conceal easier, but a rifle/shotgun is more powerful, its a trade off.

I was surprised he got out of the building and escaped for a little while. A lot of the time these guys bite a bullet, either their own or a police officer's before they leave the building.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

The Toledo Blade says it was a 12-gauge shotgun. I'm sure some antis will still try to use this incident to push legislation like HR 1022, but it's still a relief to find he used a non-"evil" weapon.

Now if only someone in the building was sensible enough to be prepared to put a bullet through this guy's head before he killed anyone.

OHHHH, i get it now...EBR=Evil black rifle...I can be slow sometimes. I'm just glad he wasn't a ccw holder.

I can't wait to see what happens next. Every business in the area will be putting up no guns allowed signs like it would of meant something. This was just 3 miles down the road from me and it really hit home. I guess every time someone gets fired at mt place of employment I should carry the next week at work.

Another article on the shooting, this one has some firsthand accounts of the incident. One little bit in particular stood out for me:

"I heard one employee screaming, `He's got a gun. He's got a gun.' ... It was a panic. No one knew what to do."
    I know just what to do: Front sight, press.

On a broader level, I think this brings up an interesting point. Most of us on this forum have an advantage in situations like this not simply because we regularly carry firearms and have actively developed the skills necessary to use them, but because we've thought about what to do in a situation like this.

You're Correct...

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Another article on the shooting, this one has some firsthand accounts of the incident. One little bit in particular stood out for me:

I know just what to do: Front sight, press.

On a broader level, I think this brings up an interesting point. Most of us on this forum have an advantage in situations like this not simply because we regularly carry firearms and have actively developed the skills necessary to use them, but because we've thought about what to do in a situation like this.
    Even in a weapons free zone...many would still have an advantage by being familiar with firearms, and having pre-planned scenarios in their back pocket...good point...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links