CHTF weapon?

This is a discussion on CHTF weapon? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone have experience w/mini14/30's? Considering CHTF weapon and not sure if I can go w/AK (accuracy), AR (reliability), or M14 (price). Thought mini13/30 would be ...

Thread: CHTF weapon?

CHTF weapon?

Anyone have experience w/mini14/30's? Considering CHTF weapon and not sure if I can go w/AK (accuracy), AR (reliability), or M14 (price). Thought mini13/30 would be an in the middle alternative. Any experience/info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance and God bless, HOLYROLLER.

2. Remove Ads

I have a Mini-14, and for what it is the rifle does a good job. A lot of people on here don't seem to like them.

There are accuracy issues with them, and I wouldn't use mine for over a couple hundred yards. I have never set up a formal test to try my mini against my Romanian AK variant, but I would say that it might be close, assuming I did my part.

Replacement mags are also a pain to find, all the cheap ones are ok at best, and the factory ones are expensive.

I would acutally probably suggest an AK or SKS over the mini, because of the price difference, you could get an AK with a lot of mags and ammo for the price of just a mini-14.

The Mini-14 will never compete with an AR of M1A as far as accuracy (although their is the new accurized model, which costs more). It is meant to be a handy rifle to take around the ranch or whatever, to be used to take out varmint or for defense purposes. As much as I like mine, and I really do, it is not a battle rifle.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I would take the AK over the Mini 14. I think that a good AK is going to be almost or just as accurate. I think the AK also wins in the reliabilty department. In a TEOTWAWKI scenario I am going to be holed up in a defensive manner anyway, not taking 800 yard headshots like some folks envision that they will be doing. I think that I will be able to take care of most of my problems with buckshot but if I need a little more range or firepower then I can go to the AK.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I had a 30 and still have a 14. I would suggest a good SKS D model if you can find one. Mine is more accurate than the Rugers or Aks. Come to think of it, I need to get another one myself.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

The AK 47 is the perfect SHTF battle rifle. They are bulletproof!!
    I train and practice with my AK's allot. I have use them in -20degree weather to 110degree whether. they have been packed with snow, mud and dirt and will not stop firing. they are very simple and easy to field strip. When sited in properly they are very accurate and when set on battle sites will hit a 19" torso size target from point blank to 300 meters. When the SHTF and my life depends on it, I will take an AK over any other rifle, even my M14. They are light wight they have higher mag capacity and you can carry more ammo and it's a larger caliber, why would anyone want to use a 22caliber when you life depends on it rather then a 30 caliber?
    If you just want a expensive plinker and like cleaning your rifle after every mag then by all means buy a black plastic gun.
    No offence intended to anyone that likes there AR's
    This is just my personal beliefs based on my experiences.
    Longbow
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Considering all that has been said, what is the best $500 range AK?

A good clean Yugo under folder or fixed stock, for the price they are a great rifle in the $500.00 range, don't' forget mags and plenty of ammo.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

VIP Member
    Or get a rommy for $300's and use the rest of the money in accesories.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Or get a rommy for $300's and use the rest of the money in accesories.
    +1 I have one and it will take a beating and keep on ticking!

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/N...zle_Break.html

Last edited by Longbow; April 9th, 2007 at 10:25 PM.

My Romanian is identical to what Aimsurplus sells, it takes a lot of abuse and keeps going. AIM also has Yugo M70 underfolders for under 500.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I personally think the Chinese Norinco MAK-90's are the best on the civilian market. I own one and it has never gave me a bit of trouble.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Links