Need help to identify this

This is a discussion on Need help to identify this within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My son in law, before I met him, bought this rifle at an auction for $25. It was sold as a 30:06, but 06 rounds ...

Thread: Need help to identify this

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar

My son in law, before I met him, bought this rifle at an auction for $25. It was sold as a 30:06, but 06 rounds will not fit into the gun. There are no maker marks on it. It appears to be military, put on a newer stock. The only marks are on the lower part of the sight is Redfield. The sight appears to adjust from 0 to 1000 if I read the marks right. Barrel step down in one pic is at the front of the chamber and another one about 8" from the muzzle. The rear sight takes care of elevation and windage. One large screw on the right side is for elevation, two screws on the top can be loosened and peep moved side to side. The bolt is removed by moving a spring loaded bar on the left side. The bolt, when pushed forward, is spring loaded the last 1", also making the rod at the end of the bolt carrier stick out to the rear about 1 1/4". If anyone can help and needs more pics to confirm something, I can do this. I will gladly answer questions you need to help identify. The only gun people in town are 2 pawn shops, they are only interested in money. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx David
    Attached Images
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Senior Moderator
    I can not Identify with the pics you sent. I would guess that it is a civillan Mauser but that is just a guess.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Looks like a Mauser K98, but I wouldn't bet a paycheck on that.

If it is a Mauser, it would fire a 7.92x57 round.

There were three major design changes done to the bolt handle: Straight, angled, and turn down. Yours, quite obviously, is a turn down.

Here is a little more info on the K98. It may help certify or eliminate this as being a K98.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

VIP Member
    Any markings on the barrel? Under the stock?

It could be Spanish, some of their bolt guns used the Mauser action & the stepped barrel. Caliber could be anything, I have a similar rifle & it is in .308.
    Last edited by goawayfarm; April 10th, 2007 at 06:20 PM.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    From the side and rear views it appears to be a model 1893 Mauser, predecessor of the Mauser of 1898. It will be chambered for either the 7MM or 8MM Mauser round both slightly shorter than a 30-06. If you can insert a 30cal bullet into the muzzle it is a 8MM otherwise look 7MM Mauser ammo. The 93 action is not quite as strong as the 98 (no safety lug) but still either one are excellent hunting rounds. Hope this helps.

My son insists it is a Enfield MII from WWII look at the bolt a Mauser would be straighter.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

FWIW A 3006 shell refuses to go into it. I also have a .300 savage that will go about 1/2 way into the chamber. An ak 7.62x39 chambers but it is too loose. No, there are no markings other than the ones in the pic. I have had this gun separate from the stock. Nothing.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

The link provided by purple88 has a lot of pics that are real close, butr nothing like the sight that is on this rifle. Thanx to everyone that has tried to help. I will someday figger out what it is.

VIP Member
    Caliber will be the hard part to figure, best bet would be to check with a smith who has go,no-go gauges. Mauser actions were like Remington 700 actions are now. Many makers used the Mauser action & put a lot of different barrels on them. The sight on the barrel makes it look like a civilian sporter rather than a military surplus gun, so guessing caliber is a lot harder.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Links