Dry Lubricants

Dry Lubricants

This is a discussion on Dry Lubricants within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What is your experience with exclusive use of dry lubricants on your weapons? My CCW instructor (local ERT armorer) highly recommended Sentry dry lubricants http://www.sentrysolutions.com/welcome.shtml ...

Thread: Dry Lubricants

Dry Lubricants

What is your experience with exclusive use of dry lubricants on your weapons? My CCW instructor (local ERT armorer) highly recommended Sentry dry lubricants http://www.sentrysolutions.com/welcome.shtml Website has the obligatory comments by military personnel serving in Afghanistan and Iraq spouting the wonders of the product but the cynic in me always wonders if they are real.

The concept makes sense. No wet stuff on your weapon to attract lint, dust, etc., and cleaning time is reduced significantly. On the other hand, does it protect as well as traditional lubricants? I would be curious to read what everyone thinks of it. I have done some searches for this topic and did not find much that was on point. Hoping someone out there has some words of wisdom.

Assistant Administrator
    I always wonder what a particular ''dry'' lube contains - as we can go from something like graphite up to certain silicones.

Overall I find it hard to give them the total thumbs up compared with tough long-chain polymer mineral oil lubes or top notch synthetics.

The big plus is of course the reduced risk of crud attraction. I guess much may depend on time between cleans and re-lube. Perhaps in sand box conditions some trade-off is worthwhile but must say - I'll stick to oil type lubes for normal carry etc.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I used dry lube for several years, and had good results. About 6 months back I switch to Mobil 1. I did it for the main reason of cost.

If in dusty environment dry lube is a good idea. Wet environment wet lube would be the way to go. The same thinking as a bike chain.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

I have a friend who swore by the dry lube on his Glock--until we shot a match in the pouring rain. He's seen the light and is now back to oil.

If I was in an arid desert, yeah I'd probably give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMuffin View Post
    I have a friend who swore by the dry lube on his Glock--until we shot a match in the pouring rain. He's seen the light and is now back to oil.
    There's the rub. Oils and greases are used for good reason: they'll stay put and continue to lubricate and protect. Sure, they attract gunk. Sure, if you use too much, they'll leak onto your clothes or holster. But dry lube can't be as effective if it won't stay put, coat the surface. Effective for short duration? Sure. Effective for daily carry where your goal is to reduce cleaning times? Sure, if you dramatically boost the frequency in order to ensure the lube is still where it needs to be. Not much of a gain, there.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Oil/grease for me too.
    Rain- humidity is real rough on my sig and glocks.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    90% of the time, nothing is better than good 'ol CLP. Dry lubes have there place, and that's in dry dusty environments. Kansas City is not one of those.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

I like a CLP also.

Some one told me the factory uses a copper base anti seize on the Glocks. I don't know if it's true or not. I know that this type of grease sticks real good. If in doubt get some of it on your fingers and try to get it off.

Lead Moderator
    I used Rem lube. dry spray lube. It worked fine, but didn't seem to be as effective at keeping rust off the finish.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I use Hoppes dri-lube on my shotgun bolt and hangun rails. This is a spray on teflon that dries dry. I don't seem to have a problem with it washing off in the rain. In fact I have to scrub it off with a brush to get it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    Some one told me the factory uses a copper base anti seize on the Glocks. I don't know if it's true or not. I know that this type of grease sticks real good. If in doubt get some of it on your fingers and try to get it off.
    You can see some copper colored stuff on the Glock rails when NIB - dunna what it is tho.

Links