New member into the ranks of firearms and HD... maybe CCW!

This is a discussion on New member into the ranks of firearms and HD... maybe CCW! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yesterday I went to the range with 3 of my brothers from the dept. One was a brand new shooter who is thinking of getting ...

Thread: New member into the ranks of firearms and HD... maybe CCW!

New member into the ranks of firearms and HD... maybe CCW!

Yesterday I went to the range with 3 of my brothers from the dept. One was a brand new shooter who is thinking of getting a firearm for HD and the rest of us are "seasoned" CCWs and shooters. We had an absolute blast shooting each others toys at the range and my brother got a taste of every weapon we had brought out. We had an XD9 Service, an HK USP, A glock .45 (forget the model #), a Ruger 22/45, an Olympic Arms Ar-15, AK-47, Ruger 10/22, and a Mossberg 500 12ga. Each of us put at least a magazine through each one of those yesterday. We now have a new member converted from the neutral ranks. He wasn't anti, but he never really saw the point of having a firearm for SD or HD. Now, he's well on his way.

We talked all about firearms safety on the way to the range and a whole host of firearms related stuff on the way there. While there, it was all about shooting and learning how to shoot all the toys we had brought with us. He did an excellent job and really began to understand that firearms were not the horrific things that many people had made them out to be. He even had a huge smile on his face after he stoked off a few slugs from my new Moss 500. Once the smoke cleared and we were on our way out, he checked out all the used guns the range had for sale and asked a ton of questions about each of the types. Once he's got everything in order with his housing situation, he will be buying a firearm for HD, and possibly, for CCW. He took me up on my offer to go to the NRA defense class that is being offered at that same range. I have not taken that particular class so I thought it would be an excellent starting point for him so we'll be doing that within the next month or so.

All in all, it was an excellent day! Friends, firearms, and fun! What could be better than that!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Great news,

Every one needs to go to the range
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

kpw
    Good on ya! That does sound like a great day!

I grew up in Derry and travel there to visit family every so often. Where do you shoot?

<------- envious, sounds like a great day!!

Quote Originally Posted by oilman View Post
    I grew up in Derry and travel there to visit family every so often. Where do you shoot?
    We shot at Manchester Firing Line. It's been so damn crappy outside lately that indoors has been the best bet. One of my brothers has a membership at Pelham right now and I plan on getting in with him within the next month or so. That way, we can each bring a bud from the dept shooting if they want to come out and toss some lead.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Those are the best days at the range. Bringing someone new into it with a bunch of friends. :)
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Links