I promised to buy my brother a gun.

This is a discussion on I promised to buy my brother a gun. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm an immigrant, I came here from England and became a US citizen. Now that I have citizenship I can sponsor my family for green ...

Thread: I promised to buy my brother a gun.

I'm an immigrant, I came here from England and became a US citizen. Now that I have citizenship I can sponsor my family for green cards.
    My little brother is in his early 20s and just got married, he visited us last year and fell in love with TN (most Brits do), so I'm doing the decent thing and getting him over. We submitted the paperwork last week.
    I said that I will buy him his first handgun as a gift when he gets here, same as my Father-in-Law did for me. I see a handgun as a suitable gift for a new legal immigrant here.
    I thought he would like a Glock 17/19, maybe an XD... something along those lines.
    I sent him a few gun mags to look through, he phoned me the other day. He wants a HK Mk 23. Why that particular gun I'm not sure, maybe he just has an eye for expensive quality items.

Looks like I need to start looking for one, even though he probably won't be here for a year or two, those things don't exactly grow on trees.

Good luck. That's a great Welcome to America gift!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    Good luck. That's a great Welcome to America gift!
    First of many hopefully.

Administrator
    Now that your an American, you should act as one and get your brother a 1911.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

Excellent Post Sixto.

Personally I think you should buy your Brother a S&W Revolver, preferably blued steel and at least a .357 Mag.

Biker

Jeez, I was born here and didn't get that nice of a "welcome to America" gift.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Act like one? You're a pretty diverse bunch, don't know if you noticed?

I thought it would be more apt to get a USA made gun, but he wants what he wants, he liked my Glock when he was over visiting.

Jeez, I was born here and didn't get that nice of a "welcome to America" gift.

I didn't get anything like that either and I was also born here. All I got was hung upside down and a slap on the rear.

But all in all, that would be a wonderful gift for you brother!!!

Lew
    I bet he plays Rainbow 6 III on the computer... That is why he wants that particular gun... But then I want one too...and 1000's of other makes and models.

Get him the USP .45, it is very similar but smaller so that it would be able to carry concealed at least. The mk23 is a little big for IWB...

If it was my brother, he would get me a super soaker squirt gun.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

Senior Moderator
    That was a very kind gesture of you and I'm sure he'll be thrilled to get such a fabulous gift.

My engagement gift from my husband was my Bersa .380. He said, "Nothing says, 'I love, trust, and want to protect you,' like handing you your own loaded firearm."

I'd say get him a 1911, too, but the guns not for me. If that's what he likes and what he wants, then go for it. I'm sure he'll be happy either way!

Congrates, both on your citizenship and bringing over your family!

Senior Moderator
    I would go with a Single Action Army.

But get what he wants, but boy does he have expensive tastes
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Administrator

Thumbs up Hk MK 23 - You Have A Smart Brother :~)

And he has a rich Brother

The MSRP is like 24hundred dollars but there is a Mark 23 for sale on Gunbroker for 19hundred Cash On The Barrel Head. Ugly Color Though.

The HK MK 23 and the HK Mark 23 .45 ACP pistols give shooters match grade accuracy equal to that of the finest custom made handguns - yet they exceed the most stringent operational requirements ever demanded of a combat handgun.
    The MK 23/Mark 23 provides this accuracy without the need for hand-fitted parts common in custom-built match pistols costing thousands of dollars more.
    Repair of the MK 23/Mark 23 is reduced to a simple parts exchange.
    The HK Mark 23 is a commercial model of the U.S. Government issue MK 23, MOD 0 Offensive Handgun and is available in limited numbers.
    Designated the "Mark 23", it is almost identical to the MK23, MOD 0 pistol used by the Special Operations Command, right down to its threaded barrel.
    The principal differences are slide inscriptions (Mark 23 as opposed to MK 23) and a barrel manufactured to SAAMI headspace specifications.
    Commercial Mark 23 pistols come supplied with 10-round magazines.
    Military and law enforcement models have 12-round magazines like the Special Operations model.

One of the most thoroughly tested handguns in history, the MK23/Mark 23 project originated in 1991 when HK was awarded a development contract for the Special Operations Forces Offensive Handgun Weapon System, consisting of a caliber .45 pistol, detachable sound and flash suppressor, and laser aiming module (LAM).
    The barrel is threaded to accept accessories such as a flash and sound suppressor and the unique HK polygonal bore profile increases muzzle velocity and service life, reduces bore fouling, and eases cleaning.
    Molded into the frame are special accessory grooves for attaching a light or laser aimer. However, the suppressor and LAM are not being developed by HK and cannot be obtained from Heckler & Koch.

During testing, MK 23 pistols met the most stringent operational and accuracy requirements ever demanded of a combat handgun.
    MK 23 pistols achieved match grade accuracy with an average of 1.4 inches extreme spread in 5-round shot groups at 25 meters with service ammunition.
    Endurance testing demonstrated a service life of over 30,000 rounds of +P ammunition, with an additional 30,000 rounds certified on the slide and frame.

To meet the reliability requirement, the pistol had to demonstrate a minimum of 2,000 mean rounds between stoppages (MRBS) with both M1911 ball and +P ammunition.
    All pistols exceeded the 2000 MRBS with an average of 6000 MRBS.

In more than 450 accuracy test firings from a precision firing fixture, MK 23 pistols far exceeded the government requirement, averaging 1.44 inches, with 65 groups of less than one inch.
    There were four groups of .5 inches, with 5 rounds going through the same hole!
    This included firing with and without the sound/flash suppressor attached.
    Three pistols were tested for accuracy after firing over 30,000 rounds, the specified service life of the pistol, and still met the new pistol accuracy requirement.
    An innovative design feature, a high temperature rubber 0-ring on the barrel that seals the barrel in the slide until unlocking, led to this remarkable achievement.
    The 0-ring lasts bevond 20,000 rounds and can be replaced by the operator without tools in seconds.

To meet operational environmental requirements, the pistol was function tested at +140 and -25° F, exposed to 2 hours of submersion in sea water at 66 feet, placed in surf, salt-fog, sand-dust, mud, icing, unlubricated, and fouled environments.
    A special maritime surface coating protected the pistol from any corrosion, in all of these operational environments.

The frame mounted MK 23 decocking lever is separate from the ambidextrous safety lever. It allows the hammer to be lowered quietly and safely from the single action position.
    When the hammer is down, the ambidextrous frame mounted safety lever is locked in the fire position so that the pistol is always ready for double action operation.
    When the hammer is "cocked and locked" in single action mode with the safety lever on "safe", the decocker is blocked so that the pistol is always ready for single action operation.
    Even with the safety lever engaged, the slide can still be manipulated to load and clear the pistol.
    The extended slide release lever and the ambidextrous magazine release are easily actuated without adjustment of the firing grip using the firing hand thumb or index finger.

Other notable features include a mechanical recoil reduction system that reduces recoil forces to the shooter and components of the pistol by as much as 30%, a reinforced polymer frame, a one-piece machined steel slide, and a law enforcement/military capacity of thirteen rounds (twelve rounds in the magazine, one in the chamber).

The weapon is aimed using either iron sights or an optional laser aiming component (currently under development).
    The iron sights provide a 3-dot sight picture with white or optional self-luminous tritium dots.

The Heckler & Koch Special Operations Handgun is designed to fire a minimum of 30,000 rounds of +P ammunition prior to depot level maintenance.
    After depot level maintenance, the pistol must have at least 30,000 rounds of additional service life on the slide and frame.

The MK 23 became the first caliber .45 ACP pistol to enter U.S. military service since the venerable Government Model 1911A1.
    On May 1, 1996, the first MK 23 pistols were delivered to the U.S. Special Operations Command for operational deployment.

MK 23 Technical Specifications Caliber .45 ACP
    Ammunition Feed Staggered magazines;
    10- or 12-round capacity

Rifling Polygonal bore, right hand twist

Sight Radius 7.76 inches (197mm)

Weight: with empty magazine 2.66 pounds (1.21 kg)

Weight: with loaded
    12-rd magazine 3.47 pounds (1.576 kg)

Barrel length 5.87 inches (149mm)

Overall length 9.65 inches (245mm)

Width 1.53 inches (38.8mm)

Height 5.90 inches (150mm)
    Last edited by QKShooter; April 12th, 2007 at 11:15 AM.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

.02, check gunbroker! I've seen a few "compact" models of the SOCOM (can't remember the official moniker), but essentially, they are a SOCOM, with threaded barrel, trimmed down to USP Compact size, in .45 and .40 I believe. Cruising between $600-1000.

Very decent of you!

CDNN's latest catalog lists SOCOM's for $1699.

Congrats to both of you!

Gotta go along with the 1911 idea. A true piece of Americana, as well as the finest defensive handgun ever. Maybe a Springfield GI or Milspec, to keep the price down. You could also add a DVD of "Sgt. York" or "To Hell and Back".

The last time he was here, I took my Scottish friend to the range. First time he had ever fired any weapons, other than a .22 rimfire as a child. He was totally enthralled as we went through most of the arsenal, including the AR-15 and the Uzi. His favorite handgun turned out to be my Colt Trooper MKIII in lustreless nickel w/ 6" barrel. The big magnum grips fit him perfectly.

So, take your brother to the range and see what suits him best. In fact, you could just let him shoot all of yours, then let him pick his favorite!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Sponsored Links