What does it mean to have your trigger worked?

This is a discussion on What does it mean to have your trigger worked? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Somewhere I think it was in here when I asked about an AR15 someone said all the AR15 need to have their triggers worked. Now ...

Thread: What does it mean to have your trigger worked?

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar

What does it mean to have your trigger worked?

Somewhere I think it was in here when I asked about an AR15 someone said all the AR15 need to have their triggers worked. Now I just went to a website that rob sent me to Actions By TJ and he says "his trigger work is First Class and Second to None"

So what is trigger work?
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

2. Remove Ads

Normally, it’s a matter of stoning the mating surfaces of the trigger so that they are smooth. It can also entail changing the angle or amount of sear engagement. Just stoning to polish the surfaces can be done yourself if you are VERY careful to only polish and not change any angles. If you only have one gun to work on, it’s probably cheaper to pay a gunsmith than to purchase the stones yourself as they can get quite expensive. I’ve heard of guys doing it with emery paper, but I’m not that brave. Beyond simply polishing the surfaces, it becomes a job for a professional, especially with a semi-auto. It is WAY too easy to take off too much material and end up with it going full auto on you. On rifles, I usually opt to install a good aftermarket trigger. I’ve done this myself and it is usually a simple operation. Most aftermarket triggers have the advantage of being adjustable for pull weight and over-travel. With a professional trigger job on the factory trigger, what you end up with is what you’ve got – no further adjustment. I installed a Jewell 2-stage trigger on my Colt HBAR, and it is phenomenal. I also hear the Chip McCormick triggers are very nice, but they lack the adjustability of the Jewell.

Hope that helps a little.

Hoss
    Last edited by cvhoss; April 12th, 2007 at 10:29 AM.
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Hey, TJ. On the 1911, there is a fair bit to a good tune, that's why you may see 2, 3, or 4 "levels" of trigger job. Like CV said, at heart is the hammer/sear engagement surface- it should be squared and polished.

On the 1911, since the trigger stirrup goes around your magazine, in the mag well, a good trigger job will include the smith checking to be sure that the sides of the stirrup don't touch the mag, or press too hard in the tracks in the frame. The tracks should also get a polish job. From there, if your mainspring housing is metal, the smith may check to make sure that the hole bored for the spring & plunger is smooth and machine mark-free (read "Polished" again ). Your disconnector may be squared & polished appropriately, and your safety/disconnector/etc spring will be checked to ensure it engages properly.

See why the 1911 is a smith's bread & butter? Seriously,if you get the hammer & sear done, you'll probably have an appreciable difference for reasonable cost. The other things may or may not be included, and it doesn't hurt to ask. Or just ask, "What's involved with the "Basic", vs the, "Super X Ultra Whatever" job?"

Lead Moderator
    I have fired several different manufacturers AR's . The triggers are not usually that bad. Unless you are looking for match accuracy , why bother? Chip McCormick offers a drop in trigger group that would inprove the trigger if you need it too.
    Seems lots of people want to super tune their guns, but I see lots of practice as a much better way to start out.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I have fired several different manufacturers AR's . The triggers are not usually that bad. Unless you are looking for match accuracy , why bother? Chip McCormick offers a drop in trigger group that would inprove the trigger if you need it too.
    Seems lots of people want to super tune their guns, but I see lots of practice as a much better way to start out.

I have to agree with Rocky on this one, Military issue M16s are some of the most beat up things on earth, but at 200/300 yard rapid fire I could still put 10 out 10 in a pie plate so a stock trigger can't be too bad.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    An AR-15 trigger can be replaced in less than 15 minutes by someone with average mechanical skills.

A National Match two stage trigger does wonders for ARs and my defensive carbine wears one.

Something that happens on my birthday?...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

New Member Array T&A Gunsmithing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    Somewhere I think it was in here when I asked about an AR15 someone said all the AR15 need to have their triggers worked. Now I just went to a website that rob sent me to Actions By TJ and he says "his trigger work is First Class and Second to None"

So what is trigger work?
    Well in my opinion, MY trigger jobs are second to none! In any case though, JP enterprises makes a reduced power spring kit for the AR that by themselves make a huge improvement in pull weight.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

ret

OMG! ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    Actions By T
    Teddy is truly a nut. But you probably came to that same conclusion by reading through his site, his blog is entertaining if you know his history across many gun forums.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

ret
    RET you are bad
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Links