Gun For Son-In-Law

This is a discussion on Gun For Son-In-Law within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First a little background. My daughter and son-in-law and our two grandchildren live very close to us in Florida. My grandson is 3 1/2 and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun For Son-In-Law

Gun For Son-In-Law

First a little background. My daughter and son-in-law and our two grandchildren live very close to us in Florida. My grandson is 3 1/2 and my granddaughter is 2 1/2 years old. My daughter and son-in-law know that I carry a gun and have no problem with it. In fact, I have made it clear that I am always armed whenever I am out with my grandchildren.

The other day my son-in-law told me that he wants to buy a gun for home protection against an intruder and asked for my advice about what gun to buy. No discussion, at this point, about getting a license to carry. He is retired coast guard so is familiar with guns.

I must admit that this makes me a bit nervous because, although he is a great guy, he is somewhat disorganized, and, of course, I worry about an accident, particularly because I believe that the kids are too young to really understand about gun safety, but are also at the very curious stage. What I told him was that the first thing he needed to buy was a good gun safe, and that when the gun was not with him, that it needed to be in the safe(yes I know that a gun not readily available is virtually worthless in a true emergency).

I know that many of you have faced, and are facing, the same kind of issue, either with your own kids, or with your grandchildren so I am seeking the wisdom and sage advice of members of the Forum.

What kind of gun should I advise him to get, and how should I tell him to handle the safety issue?

Thanks.

Ron

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I would get a Shotgun Mossberg 500 or Reminton 870

I put a set of bicycle hooks in my bedroom closet right above the door.

You can not see the shottie with the closet door open but is very easy to access.

This is the only long gun that is outside of the safe. Kids don't know it is there and can't reach it until they are old enough to know better.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Ron,
    First, I agree with Pgrass101 that a good pump shotgun makes the best HD firearm if you are only going to have one gun. If he decides on a handgun, I’d suggest a nice “gift” from you to go along with his new purchase. Something like this. There are cheaper handgun safes available, but this one, or one that works on the same fingerprint principal, would have to be the fastest to get access to if you needed it.

As to type, I’d suggest a semi-auto. Even if not stored in a safe, if it is stored without one in the chamber, it will be some time before your grandchildren have the hand strength to work the slide on a short barreled auto. Before they reach that age, there’s time to teach them about gun safety. If you have to, do it yourself.

My kids grew up around guns and they knew they weren’t to be touched. I think the biggest thing for kids is to take away the “mystique” of a firearm. If you teach them about them and they see them frequently, they will soon have no more fascination to them than a kitchen knife on the counter or any of the other hundreds of household items that they can harm themselves with. As soon as they can understand, get them to a range and teach them what happens with the “business end” of a firearm. I’m not talking just punching holes in a paper target, get some cantaloupes, watermelons, etc. and show them the devastation that can happen from a bullet. They need to be taught not to be afraid of a firearm, but to have the utmost respect for the firearm and the damage it can do. I have 6 grandkids ranging from 13 yrs. to 1 yr. old twins and I’ve tried to familiarize them all with firearms. The 13 year old has never expressed much interest and now he’s more interested in basketball. The 10 yr. old grandson is my shooting buddy. On his 8th birthday, I bought him a Savage bolt action 22 and put a decent scope on it. The gun stays in my gun safe but I try and get him out to the range as much as we can. I’ve taught him the safety aspects and he is a very safe gun handler. At 10, his hands are still a little small for most of my pistols, but he has shot my Walther P22 and I can see one of them in his future . We’ve even taken his 18 month old brother to the range, though he’s much too young to understand anything yet. We are getting him acclimated with wearing ear muffs and safety glasses without throwing them off and hopefully, he’ll end up another range buddy.

In the end, it comes down to teach, teach, teach. And, as I said before, don’t count on someone else to do it, take it on yourself to make sure they understand not only the dangers of a firearm but the fun of a nice family afternoon at the range.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Handgun has some advantages for home defense also

I will concede that a shotgun has significant power and is useful in home defense, but it lacks the advantage of portability, which a handgun has. The shotgun stored in a closet, ready for use, is a temptation to children if the parent is in another room. A handgun in a holster on your belt is not as available to curious children, and is instantly available to the gunowner for home defense without running to where the shotgun is stored.

I do believe that the handgun around children should either be concealed in a holster on the adult, or locked up in a safe or cabinet the children cannot open. I would never leave the handgun unattended in the open with children around.

If your son in law did go with a handgun, I would think that any good quality brand in 9mm, .40 or .45 would be adequate, provided that it was small and lightweight enough to carry easily around the house (and maybe elsewhere if he gets a CCW permit later). If he is still nervous about the children, he could get one with a manual safety that the children would not understand, so that a simple pull on the trigger would not fire the gun. That would tend to rule out Glocks and most Sigs, and push you towards 1911s, H&K USPs, Rugers, and many S&W models.

I like your idea about a safe.

That is very important! I would also tell you to consider a S&W Revolver with a MagNaTrigger Conversion. Your SIL would have to wear a magnetic ring on each trigger finger, but the weapon would be unable to fire by anyone not wearing the proper ring.

Biker

+1 on all ideas (shotgun first, then add safe, etc)

Also, recommend training/education/whatever. what is the layout of the house? are the kids' rooms on a direct line of fire from parents' room? this is the sort of mindset he needs to develop. shoot, give him this website and others to frequent for a few weeks. the topics discussed here will help him understand the commitment, decision that he's making.

get a good, modern gun with one of the New ILS systems so that he can make the gun inoperable when he isn't around.

home protection: they should get a dog. anybody should have a dog as a good deterrent/first alert system. a good dog will also be very protective of children.

Quote Originally Posted by Exmasonite View Post
    +1 on all ideas (shotgun first, then add safe, etc)

get a good, modern gun with one of the New ILS systems so that he can make the gun inoperable when he isn't around.
    What is an ILS system?

Ron

internal locking system
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

me
    If not the shotgun I would agree with the Idea of a pistol kept with out a round in the chamber and a safety on when it is not on his side.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

With The Gun Purchase...

A good 2-5 day pistol self-defense class...this will drive home the 'finger' importance, safe carry/storage, gun laws, and many other practical point on firearms...

ret...how's it going?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

"A good 2-5 day pistol self-defense class...this will drive home the 'finger' importance, safe carry/storage, gun laws, and many other practical point on firearms..."

I really agree with this. Also, I would have exactly the same inital concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    What is an ILS system?

Ron
    as somebody posted, it means Internal Locking System. my bersa has one...

Basically, you have a little key that you turn and it locks EVERYTHING. on the bersa, you can't even rack the slide, pull back the hammer, anything.

very nice feature if there are rugrats around. takes about 2 seconds to lock or unlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Exmasonite View Post
    as somebody posted, it means Internal Locking System. my bersa has one...

Basically, you have a little key that you turn and it locks EVERYTHING. on the bersa, you can't even rack the slide, pull back the hammer, anything.

very nice feature if there are rugrats around. takes about 2 seconds to lock or unlock.
    OK, thanks. Actually, my S&W 642 has it. Just didn't recognize the abbreviation

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Thanks all for your input. Based on what you suggested, I think that I will advise him to get a semi-automatic(kids can't rack the slide for awhile yet) with an ILS, and an external safety, if I can find a pistol with both features. Any one know of a smaller semi-automatic with both of those features? And, of course a safe with finger pads.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    A good 2-5 day pistol self-defense class...this will drive home the 'finger' importance, safe carry/storage, gun laws, and many other practical point on firearms...

ret...how's it going?
    Ken,

I like the idea of a good pistol self-defense class for him. Even, if I have to take it with him to get him to go, I might do it.

Things are good here. How about you? Are we still on for lunch?

Ron

J. R. R. Tolkien

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links