Shooter competence - assessment of .... - Page 2

Shooter competence - assessment of ....

This is a discussion on Shooter competence - assessment of .... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; you think it's bad at the range, and you want any old Dick or Harry actually CARRYING a ccw pc? I"ve never yet seen a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooter competence - assessment of ....

you think it's bad at the range, and you want any old Dick or Harry actually CARRYING a ccw pc? I"ve never yet seen a qualification course that adequately taught safe gun handling. If one did, it would cost $2000.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    My LEO friends tell me that the Madison Police locker-room is rife with bullet holes all over the walls.

As you remember, we are also the city where our police chief hid his Glock in the oven, forgot it was there, and then baked it.

Bud White-
    they were throwning 3 guys off the range all 3 were police officers in the same city as the range
    When I rode with a sheriffs department buddy of mine in Indiana, he was the chief firearms instructor, I think one of the most dangerous thing I did was help out with the qualifications, I always wore my vest for that.

I have seen many fellow officers qualifying, and the safest place was right in front of them. I also worked two differant ranges, and bullet holes are quite common. I also threw an FBI agent off the range for safety violations.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

It's no surprize (however odd though) to anyone that's been around, that those who carry and depend on firearms as an occupation are often the worse in their gun handling and shooting skills!

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

Senior Moderator
    As an Instructor myself I have no problem "instructing" someone at the range that is negligent in their gun handling ability.

There is a way to do it and a way not to do it.

Generally, I'll introduce myself as an instructor and Ill explain the range safety rules to them. I'll do it in a lighthearted way that dosent embarass them to much while bringing their mistakes to their attention.

Its all about communication.

So far, I've never had any negative experiences. I've had a few egos get all huffy at first and try to take it personal, but I've managed to talk them right through it. Once they understand the expectations of the range and they understand the basic rules of handling, there will be no more problems.

One can take a negative experience and turn it into a postive one with a bit of patience. ******* people off is not the way to do it. Teaching them the proper way is the only way to guarantee that it wont happen the next time they come to the range.

Being somewhat selective about the membership helps in this area since its a private membership and range.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links