I'm really getting tired of hearing comments from anti-gun folks

This is a discussion on I'm really getting tired of hearing comments from anti-gun folks within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, everyone I work with knows I'm into guns, and all of them except one agrees that people should allow to keep and bear arms, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm really getting tired of hearing comments from anti-gun folks

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

I'm really getting tired of hearing comments from anti-gun folks

Ok, everyone I work with knows I'm into guns, and all of them except one agrees that people should allow to keep and bear arms, and most of them own at least one gun. This one guy though he said to me "you know, if you have a gun, you're more likely to get killed, than you would be without it, read the statistics." Also while he's saying that he's eating a cheeseburger thats been sitting out for like two hours on a hot holder (I work at Mcdonalds). The only thing I say back to him is "People die alot more from being fat and having other food related illnesses than they do from guns." It really offends me when people tell me I'll die just by having a gun on me.

2. Remove Ads

You and your coworker have the same odds of getting in a life endangering encounter after your shift is done. You just have better odds making it home in one piece if you are carrying.

Sometimes it is not worth arguing if they are going to bring up “statistics” with out citing sources
    Last edited by glembe; April 13th, 2007 at 07:17 AM.

Just remind him of what Mark Twain said, "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics."

Cheeseburger brain

Don't mind him. He's just ignorant from eating too many old cheeseburgers.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    He's just projecting his fears and inadequacies on you. Just like the majority of libtards.

Ignorance is a sad thing!!!!

VIP Member
    And keep your cool. Nothing would be more satisfying to him that you reacting to his words. He will be able to say: "See? Them gun nuts are a bunch of aggresive cave people not fit to live among us."
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Assistant Administrator
    Reminds me of an old buddy in UK - who when on phone we were discussing my carry, said - ''It'll only get you into trouble" What?!!

No amount of explanation did any good - he was locked in to his fantasy. Sad really because I have known him 30 years and he even helped me make some holsters way back ...... but I guess he took some ''liberal'' pills and relies too much on gut emotion now.

There really are folks with whom, however politely and rationally you try to explain and put them straight ... just will not open themselves to simple logic.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Get use to it, keep your cool, and don't give up.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    Ok, everyone I work with knows I'm into guns, and all of them except one agrees that people should allow to keep and bear arms, and most of them own at least one gun. This one guy though he said to me "you know, if you have a gun, you're more likely to get killed, than you would be without it, read the statistics." Also while he's saying that he's eating a cheeseburger thats been sitting out for like two hours on a hot holder (I work at Mcdonalds). The only thing I say back to him is "People die alot more from being fat and having other food related illnesses than they do from guns." It really offends me when people tell me I'll die just by having a gun on me.
    Sometimes you surprise yourself and convert one and that makes it all worth while. I never argue statistics as you rarely know the conditions that created them. Instead I try to turn things back on them. Where exactly did you read that statistic and how was it put together? They never know, or they got it from some very anti group like the Brandy Bunch. I tell them, well I can quote the NRA but you will say they are biased so why should either of us believe the BB?

All I can say is know your facts and be polite.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Some people just don't get it. If your co-worker is that hard headed, I would just ignore him when his mouth is spewing his opinion of guns and 2A. I would just nod when he is jibbering, and then smile when I think of who is going to be protected and who is not when it is quitting time and you walk out the door to go home. Hopefully, it will never happen to you, but that may be the only scenerio that might make him change his poisoned mind.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

You are talking to the wrong end of the horse, the ears are on the other end!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

My favorite comeback is, "Really! I have carried for over 40 years and it hasn't killed me yet."

If Your Tired of Hearing This Garbage...

you're in big trouble...things are just getting started with the Dem's...watch...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    This one guy though he said to me "you know, if you have a gun, you're more likely to get killed, than you would be without it, read the statistics." me.
    I've always wondered if the same holds true for condoms. I mean...if you own or carry a condom with you, are you more likely to get lucky?

Their "logic" sounds even more ridiculous when you substitute the word "gun" with another object doesn't it?
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." - Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Ask him if he has ever heard of the study done that says 100% of the people who have eaten carrots at some point in their lives will die. Maybe the one that says 100% of the people that drink water will die. Show him that his study is just as stupid. BTW I have been carrying for nearly 29 years, aint dead yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links