The .38 Speical - Just For Fun

This is a discussion on The .38 Speical - Just For Fun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; With vintage FBI training film. Saw this elsewhere and it was a fun read. The film is a hoot. ?The .38 Special? | Classic Guns ...

Like Tree23Likes
  • 10 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm
  • 5 Post By piguy
  • 2 Post By Secret Spuk
  • 2 Post By 5lima30ret
  • 2 Post By michael t
  • 1 Post By Rhinoman

Thread: The .38 Speical - Just For Fun

Senior Moderator

With vintage FBI training film.

Saw this elsewhere and it was a fun read. The film is a hoot.

?The .38 Special? | Classic Guns Today

I've always tended to view the .38 Special revolver and cartridge more as a full-sized side arm much as is illustrated in this short narrative on the .38 Special. The notion of the small snub is mostly a tangent in my .38 Special thinking and use.

The FBI film is quaint. Tactics are "vintage." Some techniques taught are still valid. Some are hokey. The reload is painful to watch with nary a speedloader to be seen.

The training film must have been made in about 1955. The Smith & Wesson revolvers are all shown with "speed hammers" which were popular in the late '40s to mid-1950s, with their characteristic "fishhook" spurs. Both half-moon and ramp sights are seen adorning the Smith & Wessons which indicates mid-1950s. I spied a '53 Plymouth and perhaps had a quick glance at a '55 Chevy station wagon. Quite a few of the cars from the '40s and even late '30s as would have been common on streets of the era.
    wmhawth, ctr, gen3 and 7 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Love it!!
    Lot course Bryan you know you are tugging at my heart strings when you get to talking the 38spl, especially in the model 10's and their relatives.
    Recon1342 likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

My first cop job came with a nickel plated Model 10 with the "pencil barrel". The issue ammo was 158 grain RNL.

In today's world we tend to dismiss such a combo as "ineffective". These revolvers and the .38 Special decided many gunfights and could be considered the peacemakers of the 20th century. Some of the deadest people I ever saw met their demise with such a combo.

Ah, to be a young cop again.

if my service revolver and off duty gun could talk.... (Model 10 4" H/B S/B, and Model 36 2" R/B).
    wmhawth and 5lima30ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    if my service revolver and off duty gun could talk.... (Model 10 4" H/B S/B, and Model 36 2" R/B).
    They can't?

My first gun I was issued as an Aircrew member was a 2" bbl S&W Mod 15. I had to go to the armory every day and check it out along with the issued wadcutters. Later in my career we switched to the M-9. The SP's hated us because we were issued the M-9 before they were
    My first duty gun I carried as a Police Officer was a S&W mod 19 and my off-duty was a very well worn square butt Mod 36.
    Rhinoman and bmcgilvray like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO Pistol Permit, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified
    Active Fraternal Order of Police member
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Fun read, Bryan.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

In 67 I had a C-130 pilot that would land at our airfield . He would trade me New in box Model 15's even, for any old 1911 . This was a small airfield supported a MACV compound and a couple arty fire bases . I could get all kinds of small arms at time . 1911 were easy to come by .. We did a of of trading my time their . I made a few bucks and people that wanted 38 got 38 and AF that wanted 1911's got 1911's. Also AK's and other captured items . Seems AF just couldn't get hands on some items and willing to trade. Wonder how much went home with some story attached to it.
    OD* and 5lima30ret like this.
    “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

come visit me at my home www.bersachat.com or http://www.metroarms1911forum.com

1911's forever !!

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    My first gun I was issued as an Aircrew member was a 2" bbl S&W Mod 15. I had to go to the armory every day and check it out along with the issued wadcutters. Later in my career we switched to the M-9. The SP's hated us because we were issued the M-9 before they were
    My first duty gun I carried as a Police Officer was a S&W mod 19 and my off-duty was a very well worn square butt Mod 36.
    I worked in the Command Post for many years and we had the old 38 special S&Ws. We were still using them when the cops got the M-9s.

When Desert Shield/Storm started, the AF didn't have enough side-arms for some units so they allowed us to bring our personal weapons. Unfortunately they put some caveats on it. They had to be 9mm and we had to use government issue ammo.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

VIP Member
    I'm not old enough to remember either but that sure was a good read. Its hard to bet a good wheel gun.

Sponsored Links