Your Training Will Take Over

This is a discussion on Your Training Will Take Over within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Last month at a local IDPA match as the day was getting hotter, and I was getting tired. I was falling back on my training ...

Thread: Your Training Will Take Over

Your Training Will Take Over

Last month at a local IDPA match as the day was getting hotter, and I was getting tired. I was falling back on my training in terms of reloading. It is not the way the club like the shooters to reload. More than once the RO called me on it. This month the weather was cooler, and I made an even greater effort to follow their rules.

Not that my experience is close to what you may find in a life or death confrontation. But I think it is a window into what I would do, if I had to draw my weapon for real.

The statement, train as you fight, has been brought home in my mind.
    Last edited by glock21guy; April 15th, 2007 at 11:35 PM.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    LOL, yeah it does. I've made lots of range "errors" doing things the way they should be done on the street.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    So what range error are you making? I was considering IDPA, but if it strays too far from training , I will not join.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Rocky, not speaking for Glock21guy or for how his club likes him to reload, but IDPA reloads are (if the club is following rule and intent) most often one or two per stage tops, slide lock reloads...done while behind cover and in awkward positions or you WILL get a penalty...without a verbal warning nowadays. Pretty normal, practical stuff except that you have to keep the muzzle downrange, which hasn't hurt anyone in a gunfight (that I'm aware of). There is a "tac load" and a mag load with retention, but current doctrine is to minimize this type of load. No dropping/leaving behind partially loaded mags to reload at an advantageous place unless it is part of a malfunction clearance. No "Hollywood" loads, empty mag hits the dirt , round left in in chamber. There will always be places and stages where course design will allow or even encourage "un-tactical" behavior, but that has been the fault of the course designer, not the game-at least in my experience and opinion. I've been shooting it since 1998. Yes, there will always be martial artists vs. gamesmen type arguments, and the value of speed of leaving a position and hitting a position to shoot may be over weighted compared to "real life," but some of the best shooters I know shoot IDPA or IPSC both, trigger time is trigger time. Tactics are important, but MY opinion is that the best tactic is to knock the bad guy on his butt before he can do it to you. Fast, accurate shooting is a winning tactic in games and fights. I tell people that, "their best cover is their front sight. Learn to get right behind it and shoot."
    What Would Gumby Do?

Administrator
    The big ones I always do are during a reload, I'll bring the pistol back to my chest, tuck it across my chest at a 45 angle, and proceed to reload. I've stripped mags clean out of the gun and had them go flying into crowd or I'll yell out empty, take a knee and reload same as described above.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I like to carry my spare mag horizontal strong side, but IDPA only allows vertical spare mag.

I use the modern technique reload. Holding the gun just below eye level at a 45 deg angel parallel to my body. I have not broken the 180 deg rule but the gun is not pointed down range.

Also the no air gunning rule dose not allow for looking, and assessing before you re-holster.

In the safety briefing I was told to look at my holster as I was re-holstering. I can just see one of my instructors barking, is that a good looking holster? A retired USMC instructor.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

We had an IDPA into last week at our club. It was made clear that "airgunning" was before the start of the timer - after your last shot you are free to asses (even fire more rounds). ROs asked if we were done, then asked to show clear. No time penalty for assessing after rounds were fired.

Mag change rules did cause some discussion. I would be more likely to drop mags... Haven't shot much yet to see how often they require tac-loads or reload&retention (vs slide lock & mag drop) . But to have wheelgunners "reload with retention" and save brass and unspent rounds in a pocket is a recipie for disaster. More than one LEO has re-inserted spent bress in a gun when in the heat of a gunfight.

Other thing I didn't like is the not-allowed soft (colapsible) holsters. Need to be able to reholster one handed, and most of my CCW holsters will not sit open waiting for a handgun to be reinserted.

Looks fun, I hope to participate in a few matches this year.

yeah. i have run afoul of the rules once as I fumbled a mag change and dropped the mag to the ground with rounds in it. I made a very quick decision that groping on the ground for a lost mag was stupid as I would have to step back and take my eyes off the situation to find the mag. I just used my other spare mag and finished the COF. I got penalized for that but i would rather take the game penalty than do something wrong. other than that one time I have not had much of a problem with them asking for stupid things.

I have been penalized for a few other "errors" as hitting a non-threat target while dragging a "person" to cover and shooting strong hand only and finishing out a stage free style instead of strong hand only. In the latter case I just reverted to training without realizing it until they told me afterwards. why shoot strong hand only when my other hand isn't doing anything else at that moment?

Links