Review of my new S&W SS 1911sc

This is a discussion on Review of my new S&W SS 1911sc within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; QKShooter suggested that I write a review of my new 1911sc. Well I thought I would give a try. First of all my qualifications are ...

Thread: Review of my new S&W SS 1911sc

QKShooter suggested that I write a review of my new 1911sc. Well I thought I would give a try. First of all my qualifications are simple, I'm a handgun addict and have been buying hanguns for over 35 years.

When I went to the gunshop last week I went to buy a Sigma9ve and walked out with the S&W SS 1911SC. So soon as I saw it I had to have it. I have two .45's already. But as we all know there's always room for another.

So I looked it over and lubed it and took it with a Sig Sauer P220 to the range. The reason I took the Sig was to give me some thing to compare it to.

I really liked the Wilson mags that came with the 1911, very easy to load. I used PMC .45acp 230 grain FMJ.. Now with both pistols loaded with the same loads I started shooting at 50ft.

First the Sig Sauer P220, this pistol is a year old and I have put about 1500 rounds down range with it. What can you say bad about a Sig. every round inside the black.

Now with the 1911sc I got the same results, great sights that are very easy to focus on. It had a little more muzzle flip than the Sig. which surprised me. I think it's going to take me a little time to get use to that. It was ejecting all the shells at a good angle. One thing that really impressed me was it has a real natural feel to it as it seems to want to point at the target by it self.

What I really don't like about the 1911 is cleaning it. Let's face it any pistol that comes with a wrench takes more time to clean.

Over all it's great pistol, very easy to grip and the sights are real fast to pick up. I thought the trigger was very good and seems to feel lighter than than it should be from the factory which is pleasant surprise. It is a very well made pistol with a good feel to it. For a pistol weighing 39 ounces with a 5 inch barrel it seems almost too easy to handle, it's a great buy at $695. Where else can you buy a good quality 1911 for that kind of money. It also has a life time warrenty

Funny thing about these two pistols I paid the exact same amount for the Sig Sauer P220. Oh yeah and I went and got the Sigma 9ve this morning that I forgot about last week.

Yours came with Wilson mags? Mine came with novaks i picked it up last monday and will just add my review to yours once i get to shoot it hopefully monday..

Im thinking of removing the FLGR just dont like um even so this one disassymbles easyer than my fullsize springer

Bud, just curious is your serial # close to mine JRE80XX?

Mines in the JRE51xx range ..

Heres my Review so far its sucks... i mean it really sucks so bad as soon as i can get a ambi safety fitted its gonna be my #1 carry gun

I shot 100 rounds today with one stoppage. Not sure but iy might have been a little long on oal(these were reloads all i usually shoot) Didnt fully chamber very small push on rear of slide closed it though.... This was around round 75.

This was the only problem i had.

In general i think the Thumb safety is a little free. It filps off real easy to easy But it will be replaced With a Ambi unit. Also i have read of other's complaining of the speed bump on the grip safety digging into your hand.

I had a little discomfort With the Speed bump towards the end of the 100 rounds i shot today all 230 fmj full power reloads. I think it was more becuse of the 28OZ frame than the speed bump its self. just where i felt the recoil most prominate in my hand.

Other than being the most boring gun ive ever shot it was so Dang accurate i even closed my eyes and shot off 3 and all of them were super close ... im not a magic shooter by any means but this was impressive

Makes me want to sell all my other 1911 45's except my one colts and pick up another 1911 Sc

I used 2 novaks 8 round mags that came with it and 2 wilson 47d's i picked up.

Gonna try to shoot some more Tuesday.
    Last edited by Bud White; March 21st, 2005 at 08:21 PM.

Administrator

Thumbs up bugs100

Thanks for the good forum review.
    I sure would much rather read a "real" review by a fellow forum member than a "critique" in the doggone Gun Ragazines.
    I'm also glad that you decided to take it out & shoot it "side by side" with the 220. (another one of my favorite carry pistols)
    You said:
    "It had a little more muzzle flip than the Sig which surprised me."
    That is a huge suprise to me too because most folks think the SIG 220 (with factory grips) has more perceived muzzle flip than a 1911.
    Strange.
    Anyway Thanks!

Oh...and Bud...yours was about the single most "unique" handgun review that I've ever read!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

So what are ya saying Qk ? i might have to go though and rethinks some of it havnt been feeling well nore able to express my self to well last few days

Also i did shoot it side by side with a Glock 36 and i wasnt impressed the 36 was good for combat accuracy. Felt recoil seemed more than in the 1911 platform

My little 38 2" colt cobra Shot better groups with self defense loads in double action than the glock 36. wondering if i should have just stuck with a 9mm glock.

Bud,
    I enjoyed your review . It's funny that I found none of the same problems that you did. I think it may because that the one you got that looks by the serial number to be made about 3200 before mine. Evidently they had to have made some minor changes. The reason I say that is the clue that we got with the Wilson Mags.

l found the same thing you did about the way it shoots, I shot over 200 rounds with it every one was in the rings. it was a lot of fun to shoot and very very accurate. If I had put the targets over each other the holes would have almost lined up with each other. Very consistant results.

I had to laugh when you said you wanted another I do too, this one in blue. How can you beat the quality and price, I only paid $695.00. Throw in S&W's service and it's the best deal on the market. I could buy two of these pistols for the price of most 1911's out there.

Now I have to admit I had a S&W 457 with me too and have a hard time hitting the paper or even the back stop with it. It is the only hand gun I have admitted defeat with. Four guys have used it and the only one that could hit the target with it was my Son. He's going to get it to keep as soon as he starts showing up far work on time.

QKShooter,
    I want to thank you for your comments. Like you I usally carry a Sig Sauer P220. As for the muzzle flip it was the first thing I really noticed about the way it fired. It could just be the PMC rounds that I used. I usally shoot once a week. This week I'm going to shoot my new Sigma 9ve. If I like it as much as I do the 1911 the next thing I'm going to buy from S&W is stock. It's at $2.49 a share right now. The way their selling handguns lately makes the price look like a good long term investment.

off to shoot some more rounds though it today here in a few mins...

Does look like ive got a early one i hadnt heard they switched from novaks to wilsons on them ... makes ya wonder

Another 100 though it flawless.. will put another 100 or 200 though it next week on monday .. Also gonna drop it off for a Ambi safety.

The 2 novaks and 2 willsons no problems there..

Did find that the Novaks wont fit my Springfield Loaded with the mag well i put on.

wont lock into place tried on the ranges TRP springfield that comes with magwell same thing... There a nice mag its a shame. Price is up there with the wilsons.

Didnt Notice the complaint i had with the speed bump yesterday also was shooting a more relaxed grip might have been gripping to hard not real sure

All in all 150 down range between springer and the Smith

Bud, which one do you like better?

Its a tough call i think the smith will deff be a better carry gun but with new holster i ordered carrying the 5 inch for 2 days and didnt really know it was there ... ask me in 6 months and ill say

As of right now the brand new 1911sc is favored.

Sponsored Links