Action Needed in light of Va Tech!

This is a discussion on Action Needed in light of Va Tech! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think that we should do something to correct this false sense of security that the A2A folks call "Gun free Zones". Once again, tragically, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I think that we should do something to correct this false sense of security that the A2A folks call "Gun free Zones". Once again, tragically, the Va. Tech incident shines a light on the fact that the criminal or nutcase doesn't obey the law and the ones that suffer are those that do.

I would like to see some of the national org's get involved in a serious push to educate the GP and to change these laws. We need to give the honest law biding citizen the right to defend themselves and others in times of imminent danger.

How many more innocent people must die before we as a society realize that one person, legally carrying a gun, could have saved some lives? Who knows how many may have been saved. But even if it's only one, isn't that better than allowing the shooter to kill at will then shoot himself?

I know there will be some knee jerk reactions from both sides, I just hope that this will be the last time I have to hear about people being slaughtered because they were denied the right defend themselves.

i totally agree. i think it's common sense. unfortunately, i feel, law makers get scared into corners and they come up with "no guns allowed". i doubt they even believe that works but they do it simply because it's "doing something". it's not the right thing and it's completely ineffective but it's done to appease the masses... dare i say sheep. taking away the ban in all schools would be a gi-huge-ant step... but I'm not holding my breath.
    What's this button do?

Lot's of those students are vets, they at least should be able to carry a weapon if so desired. After all they are old enough to carry a weapon into combat for this country. I think we can trust them enough to carry one in this country.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    There's a lot of talk and angry murmurs about weapons posession on campus at my school right now. The student union might as well have that as the posted topic for the day. As some of you know, my school's weapon-posession rate is supposedly at around 30%. Meaning - 30% of students on campus have a firearm or access to one. I have my doubts about the results of the survey (done by the school paper), but even then it still says something.

The scuttlebutt going around is that the students want the right to carry because this incident has sparked a total loss of faith in campus security. We don't have a lot of crime on our campus, but when it does occur - response times usually hover around an hour or so and no one will explain to the students why. I know some people that carry on campus anyhow, though.

I haven't had any faith in campus security since my friend was murdered at VCU back in September 2005.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Agreed, but unfortunately most of the GP will look at it as "if there were no guns then the guy could not have committed the murders".

Most people are scared to put their personal security into their own hands. It's much easier to let someone else do the job and then complain when something goes wrong. There is something fundamentally wrong with that line of thinking.

The GP needs to be made aware that they have the right and the duty to protect themselves and their families. It's ok to be prepared and to protect yourself.

I guarantee that if the teacher who blocked the door would have been armed then the shootings would have ended right there.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post
    Agreed, but unfortunately most of the GP will look at it as "if there were no guns then the guy could not have committed the murders".

Most people are scared to put their personal security into their own hands. It's much easier to let someone else do the job and then complain when something goes wrong. There is something fundamentally wrong with that line of thinking.

The GP needs to be made aware that they have the right and the duty to protect themselves and their families. It's ok to be prepared and to protect yourself.

I guarantee that if the teacher who blocked the door would have been armed then the shootings would have ended right there.
    I know that sometimes it does feel as if most of the GP were that way, but I really don't think that is the case. If it were Clinton and Brady would be the law of the land... if you know what I mean. We need to seize this opportunity to show that if someone had the legal right to carry a gun at Va. Tech the death toll would be less. IMHO

I'm starting to see some student comments here and there expressing concern about safety at their college. Many want the right to be able to carry with the proper permits. Hopefully they are serious about this and will continue the fight. But I doubt that at this time next month we will be hearing from them. Shame, because if the students put some effort into this, along with some of the national org's, I think we might have a chance of making some changes.

It just scares me to death to think of what actually has to happen before we are finally allowed to legally carry everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    There's a lot of talk and angry murmurs about weapons posession on campus at my school right now. The student union might as well have that as the posted topic for the day. As some of you know, my school's weapon-posession rate is supposedly at around 30%. Meaning - 30% of students on campus have a firearm or access to one. I have my doubts about the results of the survey (done by the school paper), but even then it still says something.

The scuttlebutt going around is that the students want the right to carry because this incident has sparked a total loss of faith in campus security. We don't have a lot of crime on our campus, but when it does occur - response times usually hover around an hour or so and no one will explain to the students why. I know some people that carry on campus anyhow, though.

I haven't had any faith in campus security since my friend was murdered at VCU back in September 2005.
    On that we definitely agree(VCU)...I helped janet remotely quite a bit with IT type stuff so she would have internet access, passing info back and forth between various groups, etc during the whole ordeal(actually I just about got canned at work for spending too much work time helping when I ran out of vacation time). I have lots of words for the VCU police that quite frankly I can't say on this board...many of which are directly related to the constant brick walls we hit early on.

Perhaps "some" good may come of all of this though. It is clearly provoking thoughts in folks who would not have otherwise.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

If we don't use this tragedy to push for serious changes in the BS gun laws we're stuck with now...then we'll be stuck with more of the same. the brady bunch is already pushing behind the scenes...and they will come out full tilt boogie to paint us as the boogymen if we let them.
    It's rotten to use something like this for political means. Someones loss should be morned, not turned into a soapbox. But the people on the other side have most assuredly already started. If we sit respectfully by and wait...then we'll be playing catch up;and we'll lose.They will pounce while emotions are still raw and they can play that up to get the knee jerk reaction they want. It's not about right and wrong in their eyes. To them the end justifies the means.

Senior Moderator
    Yes, action is needed.

I'm antsy. I WANT to do something, but what? I've written letters and emails and already searching on the NRA's website to find more of my local reps and legislators to write them, but I really want to do more...

When my husband comes home I'll ask him about getting involved with the NRA-ILA "Frontlines." It's a little more of the same but a little more of something else as well.

I want to make a difference. I've wanted to before but drug my feet and now I want it again, more than ever.

What else can one DO?

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    On that we definitely agree(VCU)...I helped janet remotely quite a bit with IT type stuff so she would have internet access, passing info back and forth between various groups, etc during the whole ordeal(actually I just about got canned at work for spending too much work time helping when I ran out of vacation time). I have lots of words for the VCU police that quite frankly I can't say on this board...many of which are directly related to the constant brick walls we hit early on.
    Thanks for all your help, man. I do appreciate it. I was her supervisor at the Starbucks she worked at and she worked almost every shift with me. Knew Janet fairly well, too. I felt pretty helpless being 2000 miles away and seeing the VCU Chief (instead of State Police or RPD) on tv just infuriated me more and more.

Campus Police are essentially worthless in my book after that for probably the same reasons. Firearms not being legal on campus, I bought a dozen little Spyderco knives and gave them to girls I'm friends with on campus.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

VIP Member
    What we need to do is to put the blame squarely on the anti-gunners, where it belongs. And it is simple: when they were pushing for Gun-Free zones, they were warned that events like V-tech would happen. But they went ahead anyway and sold a feel-good measure to people offering them peace and safety. It failed miserably.

limatunes asked what can she do, well, fire up your search engines, get congrtessional records, legislature records, interviews, anything that shows WHO supported such asinine thing as a gun-free zone and post it in boards, blog it, send copies to newspapers, TV station, Radio Talk shows, the congress people that voted for that stupidity... all and everybody... no quarters to be given because they will not give us quarter.
    We cannot play Mr. Nice Guy/Gal. Our safety is a stake here.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

+1 on campus police being useless for anything other than show. My university is in downtown Detroit, and so the university makes a big show of how many police officers it has. Their response times average around 90 seconds, but that's still plenty of time to get robbed/raped/murdered. And it happens. The year before I enrolled, a student brought a gun (into a gun-free zone, even!) and killed a teacher because he didn't like the grade he got.

I found someone to put the blame on....
    [B]
    http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/wb/xp-50658

Gun bill gets shot down by panel
    HB 1572, which would have allowed handguns on college campuses, died
    in subcommittee.

By Greg Esposito

A bill that would have given college students and employees the right
    to carry handguns on campus died with nary a shot being fired in the
    General Assembly.

Let me point out, a STATEMENT from Virginia Tech's spokesman on that issue back in January...

Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was
    defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the
    General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students,
    faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."
    emphasis added by me

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    Thanks for all your help, man. I do appreciate it. I was her supervisor at the Starbucks she worked at and she worked almost every shift with me. Knew Janet fairly well, too. I felt pretty helpless being 2000 miles away and seeing the VCU Chief (instead of State Police or RPD) on tv just infuriated me more and more.

Campus Police are essentially worthless in my book after that for probably the same reasons. Firearms not being legal on campus, I bought a dozen little Spyderco knives and gave them to girls I'm friends with on campus.
    Man talk about a small world... I initially got to know both of them while I was working in Tysons(ended up working with Janet). I just hope some good may actually have come out of it. Maybe some girls who were naive to begin with, now are a bit more carefull about who they associate with and when and why. I know for sure one good thing that came out of it. One other girl in our office decided it was time to take it upon herself to learn to use a firearm and to take self defense classes. So it's a start I suppose. Sort of the same things we hope happen with this VT nightmare. Maybe somehow some good may come out of it somewhere down the line.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    I found someone to put the blame on....
    [B]

emphasis added by me

darkvibe, His name and email addy has been posted in several boards. Even in Michelle Malikin's Blog. He was the first one. We need more.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links