Dominant eye

This is a discussion on Dominant eye within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am right handed, and have always shot right handed, but am left eye dominant. All of my long guns are scoped and it is ...

Thread: Dominant eye

Dominant eye

I am right handed, and have always shot right handed, but am left eye dominant. All of my long guns are scoped and it is not an issue. I shoot my bow instinctively with both eyes open. I find that when I bring a handgun up to shoot that while holding right handed, I automatically sight using my left eye. The quality of view of the sights/target is definately better that way, as well as the accuracy of my shooting. As I am really just getting into handgun shooting, I plan to practice shooting right and left handed.

Wondered if anyone else has run into the cross dominance and how you have dealt with it.

2. Remove Ads

I'm with you (righty hand Lefty eye), and when handgunning, I never really think about it. I try to shoot with both eyes open, but when I do close an eye, it is the right. The gun has aways naturally aligned itself to my dominant left eye. No thought required.

Shootin' long guns is a bit harder. If I don't get the shot off fairly quickly, images start to shift and wander and blur. I should probably force myself to start shooting long guns left handed, but I've been doing wrong for so long.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    Left eye or right eye dominate should not matter, the dominate eye will take over. if you close the dominate eye then you will need a new sight picture with the other eye. the handgun is out in front not on the wrong shoulder.

I am also right handed, left eye dominant. Don’t try to fight the way your brain is wired, use your dominant eye and things will lineup automatically

p85
    I think this is more common than people realize. When I started shooting at a range here in NC, I got a tip that helped me. I will pass it along. When you raise your pistol to shoot 2 handed, roll your right shoulder up towards your chin. This will quickly roll the pistol sights in line with your left eye. It helped me.

I'm a righty and kind of assumed my right eye was dominant. I'm beginning to think in actuality my left eye is the dominant one. Is there a way to tell? What I am noticing that when I'm aimed at the target if I close my left eye I seem to be off target, close my right and I'm dead on. I had been shooting on eyed using my right one. Wonder if I should start using my left.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    I'm a righty and kind of assumed my right eye was dominant. I'm beginning to think in actuality my left eye is the dominant one. Is there a way to tell? What I am noticing that when I'm aimed at the target if I close my left eye I seem to be off target, close my right and I'm dead on. I had been shooting on eyed using my right one. Wonder if I should start using my left.
    You answered your own eye dominance question. Shoot a handgun
    with both eyes open, as said, the dominate takes over.

I do much better shooting with one eye open, then two. Besides practice is there anything I can do? What I have noticed is that with one eye I can come right up on the target. With two eyes it takes longer, it's like everything is out of focus for a second or two.

Pick a spot on the wall (light switch, nail head, etc...) across the room. Form a small triangle with your two hands, crossing your fingers to form the sides, and your thumbs to form the bottom. Center the spot in that triangle with your arms outstretched. Close one eye. The spot will remain centered or appear to move to one side or the other. If it remains centered, your open eye is your dominant eye. If not, close that eye and open the other and the spot will be centered confirming that it is the dominant eye.

Links