Too easy to buy a gun in VA

This is a discussion on Too easy to buy a gun in VA within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So all the talking heads are crowing about how easy it is to buy a gun in VA and something needs to be done. So ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too easy to buy a gun in VA

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

So all the talking heads are crowing about how easy it is to buy a gun in VA and something needs to be done. So I was wondering exactly how buying a gun in VA related to other states.

VA: Show ID, fill out forms, wait for check. Pay & carry.

Personally, I don't see this as being too easy, I'd say it's about right. Of course I'd like to skip the ID, forms and wait!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

It is the same here is Oklahoma.....BUT if you are a foreigner and have a green card like the killer did.... you have to fill out a lot more forms.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

Doesn't VA have the 'one gun per month' clause too?

I would say that they need to make it a lot easier so that honest citizens can arm themselves against Cho copycats.

In Oregon: put your money down, sign the form, the dealer calls the state police for the background check and, if approved, you're out the door. Private sales don't require any serial nbr check or background check, though an individual can (I believe) call to have either done.

That puts everything on the background check and the dealer's intuition. Not too many years ago, it used to be that you could pick up anything at the corner sporting goods store or feed/supply place. I'm all for penalizing actual crimes, but I'm against criminalizing normal things.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Va does have a 'one gun a month' law..you are exempt if you have a carry permit.

Purchasing isn't as easy as easy as everyone is led to believe. There are TWO firearms forms to fill out, plus $2 for the 'instant check'. Check can be done by phone by the dealer OR by computer.

Virginia has the 'instant' NCIC check. (it's NOT always 'instant' either, but I'll get to that...) This check is a result of a compromise on the BRADY BILL.

When the Brady bill was pushed forward all it did was ALLOW for a background check within a certain number of days. It did not require OR fund it. So as written originally, gun dealers had buyers fill out the forms & then a check COULD be done by law enforcement, but it didn't HAVE to be done. Since a delay in receiving the weapon would result, a compromise was reached on creating an 'instant check' system. The made the check MANDATORY & INSTANT.(plus the buyer was paying for it)

That's where we are today................we have a computer system to perform the check. As with all computer systems....GARBAGE IN, GARBAGE OUT.

Now to my earlier point, about the check not always being 'instant' or accurate. The Cho scumbag was able to get guns instantly, even with all the warning signs........BUT HE HAD NOT COMMITTED ANY CRIMES, so it was legal. In my case, whenever I purchase a gun (usually 6-10 times a year), my instant check is ALWAYS 'delayed for further investigation'...... I don't know why, I've had a carry permit in Va. since the early 1990s. I've never been convicted of a crime, committed to an institution, was born in the US, never renounced my citizenship........etc......but every time I go to purchase......DELAYED........It usually gets approval within an hour. (so much for instant) I even warn the seller each & every time I will be delayed.

My point is that ANY check is not going to be 100%, no matter if it a human doing it or a machine. BGs will find a way to get thru it & get a weapon(s). BUT DOES THAT MEAN THE REST OF US SHOULD BE PUNISHED & HAVE OUR RIGHTS TAKEN?..............
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    In Oregon: put your money down, sign the form, the dealer calls the state police for the background check and, if approved, you're out the door. Private sales don't require any serial nbr check or background check, though an individual can (I believe) call to have either done.
    Same in Ohio, except the call is placed to the FBI. We have a highway patrol, not a state police and the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation only performs firearm background checks on CHL applicants.

Seem like a lot of the antis & media are harping on the fact of no waiting period. WHich makes no sense as a 5,10,15,20,25,30 day wait would not have help in the VT case.

Plus watching the video of this immigrant nut case, if he didn't have a gun he would have found another way to commit his crime. Weather it be plowing down folks with his car, making a bomb, using a knife, hammer, poision, arson....

The lesson to be learned here is what most of us have been saying for sometime. The police, FBI, CIA & all types of LE, can't stop a nut case set on killing others & themselves. The can only hope to contain them once they start. Just like in the 1800's personal saftey is up to each & every one of us. However most gun control laws on the book prevent us from being capable to do this properly.

The bottom line, as always, is that anyone who believes that more gun control would have prevented this psychopath from acting out is simply not using a single, solitary one of whatever brain cells they might have rattling around inside their skull!

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    In NC you go to your county sherrif's office and fill out some forms. 1 week later they call you (typically you have to call them) and they will give you up to 5 permits for a handgun ($5 each) The permits last for 5 years, but seem to be issued at least sometimes as a "may issue" state would due to the "fine moral character" clause. Every county has different rules for getting them too. For instance Harnett just walk up and fill out the forms. Wake mandatory week waiting period. While Durham county forces you to bring a witness to support your "good moral character" claim.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

goawayfarm - you probably have a name or other bio-data that is similar to someone else who might be restricted from owning firearms. NCIC is an imperfect system, and there are only so many names and dates of birth out there...it often happens that some other "John Smith" will come up when you search for the "John Smith" you are actually checking on...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I don't call one purcahse a month to easy! I would not want to be in
    a place that limited me to purchase a product.How un American !!
    What's next??

Lead Moderator
    Well, playing devil's advocate...... Something sure went wrong in VA! This guy shouldn't have been let in a gun shop, let alone be able to walk out with a pistol... Twice!

If we can figure out how to keep people like this from making purchases it will eventually make life a lot easier for the rest of us!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

They would freak at the IA laws. You apply for your "permit to buy" from the county sherriff. He does a background check and if all is good sends you a permit that is valid for 1 yr....at that point there is no further wait or check. You can (and I have) walk in and buy 3 firearms and walk out with them. These all apply to handguns, longguns if you dont have a permit they run a NCIS check and if clean you walk out with your purchase

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    So all the talking heads are crowing about how easy it is to buy a gun in VA and something needs to be done. So I was wondering exactly how buying a gun in VA related to other states.

VA: Show ID, fill out forms, wait for check. Pay & carry.

Personally, I don't see this as being too easy, I'd say it's about right. Of course I'd like to skip the ID, forms and wait!
    As far as I can tell, it's only marginally easier than it is in Florida.

If you want a handgun in Florida, just like anywhere else you have to
    - provide positive identification
    - undergo the NICS background check

But unlike in Virginia, you have to wait (I think it's) 5 days to take possession of the handgun, unless you have a valid concealed weapon license. If you have the license, you can take the gun with you immediately.

5 day waiting periods do NOTHING to stop violence. The only person they may delay from shooting someone is the person who is buying his very first gun and does not already have one, capishe? The reason being, he could just use one of the guns he already has, rather than the one he's gone to buy, if he's that hotheaded at that very moment.

This murderer Cho in Virginia, he simmered with his psychosis for so long, he bought a second gun under Virginia's "one-gun-a-month" law! So tell me again why the speed of the gun purchase is an issue? He waited over a month after getting his first gun, long enough to get a second one; so what would a five-day wait have done on either gun?!

The simple fact is that nothing coming from the left on this issue makes any practical sense about how to either prevent this kind of atrocity, or deal with it once it is under way.

(Please stop referring to it as a "tragedy," as tragedy strongly implies that it was something that "just happened," like a tornado or illness or earthquake or car wreck. Tragedy implies NO-FAULT. This was an ATROCITY.)

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by portsider44 View Post
    Seem like a lot of the antis & media are harping on the fact of no waiting period. WHich makes no sense as a 5,10,15,20,25,30 day wait would not have help in the VT case.

Plus watching the video of this immigrant nut case, if he didn't have a gun he would have found another way to commit his crime. Weather it be plowing down folks with his car, making a bomb, using a knife, hammer, poision, arson....
    This is one of the most important points regarding this atrocity.

One thing they keep harping on is that this attack now holds the record for the highest death toll of any mass shooting in the U.S.

What they keep failing to report is that, even with the September 11 attacks aside, this shooting does not claim the highest death toll of any mass murder in the U.S.

I may be out-of-date with my stats, but as far as I know, the arson at the Happyland Social Club still has that "distinction." This cuban immigrant, angry that his girlfriend had broken up with him, doused the entrance to an illegal (surprise surprise) immigrant social club with gasoline and burned it, killing 87 people. (Sometimes the death toll is said to be higher, because according to this article, he was sentenced for 184 counts of murder, two for each victim killed. I don't know the rationale for that, though.) My information comes from this article.

So yes, indeed, even if we could deny access to firearms to every single human being on the planet, we would still have mass murders, and many of the alternate, non-gun means to doing so would produce far higher body counts. The anti-gunners are just fools for believing that no-guns will equal no-murder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links