"All We Need Is Sensible Gun Laws"

This is a discussion on "All We Need Is Sensible Gun Laws" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If you are like me you are so sick and tired of hearing this stupid phrase you could scream. Every knucklehead with a microphone or ...

Thread: "All We Need Is Sensible Gun Laws"

"All We Need Is Sensible Gun Laws"

If you are like me you are so sick and tired of hearing this stupid phrase you could scream. Every knucklehead with a microphone or editorial pen is using this phrase ad-nausea.

When I hear this are you like me and immediately several things come to mind and I ask the fool spouting this phrase; First, exactly WHO gets to define "sensible"? It never seems to be me, I know that. Second, we have over twenty thousand gun laws in this country already. Are they all non-sensible gun laws since we still need sensible ones? Are we going to trash all twenty thousand existing gun laws that don't seem to work so as to enact the "sensible ones" we don't have and someone else gets to define, or do they just want to pile on more?

The new line of crude I am hearing now is that each side, pro and anti gun, need to each give in a little to make this work. BULL! I am suppose to chisel away a constitutional, God given right to self protection to make someone feel safe? I don't think so. I see no compromise when it comes to the 2A, do you?
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Joe - we have already seen some insidious compromise - but sure as heck we don't want more!

As for that word ''sensible'' - geez, it's about as dangerous in the anti camp as the word ''reasonable'' when loosely applied!

Let's just see all existing laws better implemented cos for sure we do NOT need more, however ''sensible"!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    Second, we have over twenty thousand gun laws in this country already. Are they all non-sensible gun laws since we still need sensible ones? Are we going to trash all twenty thousand existing gun laws that don't seem to work so as to enact the "sensible ones" we don't have and someone else gets to define, or do they just want to pile on more?
    Excellent points! If we need sensible ones, you can't avoid the fact that saying so is a statement that the ones we have are not sensible, but more important; whatever the existing restrictions are, they are not doing the job they were intended to do!

The new line of crud I am hearing now is that each side, pro and anti gun, need to each give in a little to make this work. BULL! I am suppose to chisel away a constitutional, God given right to self protection to make someone feel safe? I don't think so. I see no compromise when it comes to the 2A, do you?
    I don't agree with compromise on 2A either, but we are stuck with it, at least for now, at least for a while. But you are correct in that every time they ask for "compromise," it simply means GUN people have to give something up. That is absolutely NOT "compromise"; that is "CONCESSION."

When they don't give us anything of theirs, they are not compromising with us, they are just taking from us.
    Each so-called "compromise" means we will have to accept a little further infringement on our firearms freedom.

Not acceptable.

How about this for a sensible gun law:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

You think that would catch on?
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    How about this for a sensible gun law:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

You think that would catch on?
    +1.

We already have sensible gun laws. All the courts need to do is use them and the judges need to give out full with no time off sentences if a weapon is used.

VIP Member
    'SENSIBLE GUN LAWS'= 'TURN THEM ALL IN'.Nothing sensible about it.

from people who have seen it happen or who know what will happen:
    "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus, Roman Historian 55-117 A.D.

"Government big enough to supply everything that you need is big enough to take everything that you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Ceaser Beccria.

"When the ATF comes to take your guns, shoot back.” - G. Gordon Liddy, August 1994

"As long as law-abiding citizens assume no personal responsibility for combating crime, liberal and conservative programs for curbing crime will fail." - Jeffrey R. Snyder, The Public Interest, No.113, Fall 1993.

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of moral crisis, do nothing." - Dante

"Rome remained free for four hundred years and Sparta eight hundred, although their citizens were armed all that time; but many other states that have been disarmed have lost their liberties in less than forty years." -Nicollo Machiavelli (1469-1527), 16th century Italian political theorist

"Tell the American people never to lose their guns. As long as they keep their guns in their hands, what happened here will never happen there." - 1990, a student from Beijing, China, describes the last words of her parents, killed at Tiananmen Square
    from the mouths of the anti's
    "Yes, I'm for an outright ban [on handguns]." -Pete Shields, Chairman emeritus, Handgun Control, Inc.

I think the only people in this nation who should be allowed to own guns are police officers. I don't care if you want to hunt, I don't care if you think it's your right. I say, 'Sorry. It is 1999, we have had enough as a nation. You are not allowed to own a gun and if you do own a gun, I think you should go to prison.'" -Rosie O'Donnell

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them... "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in," I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren't here." -U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein

"Banning guns addresses a fundamental right of Americans to feel safe." -U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein

"Assault weapons... are a new topic. The weapons' menacing looks, coupled with the public's confusion over fully-automatic machine guns versus semi-automatic assault weapons — anything that looks like a machine gun is assumed to be a machine gun — can only increase the chance of public support for restrictions on these weapons."
    -Josh Sugarmann

"The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedience, and by parts."
    -Edmund Burke, letter, April 3, 1777, to the Sheriffs of Bristol

"We must stop thinking of the individual and start thinking about what is best for society." -Hillary Clinton, 1993

"There is nothing in the law to indicate the term 'sporting purposes' was intended to recognize every conceivable type of activity or competition which might employ a firearm." -ATF spokesperson, 1989, on the import ban

"It is our aim to ban the manufacture and sale of handguns to private individuals... the coalition's emphasis is to keep handguns out of private possession — where they do the most harm." - Recruiting flyer currently distributed by The Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, formerly called The National Coalition to Ban Handguns.

"[The United States] can't be so fixed on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans..." - President Bill Clinton March 1, 1993 during a press conference in Piscataway, NJ.
    It's funny but I can't find this one ANYWHERE in the Constitution.........
    "Banning guns addresses a fundamental right of Americans to feel safe." -U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Links