Stupid stupid parent pulls toy gun on class

This is a discussion on Stupid stupid parent pulls toy gun on class within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070419/...ther_toy_gun_1 School says mom 'fired' toy gun in class Thu Apr 19, 1:46 PM ET CHURCH HILL, Tenn. - The mother of a kindergartner was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid stupid parent pulls toy gun on class

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Stupid stupid parent pulls toy gun on class

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070419/...ther_toy_gun_1

School says mom 'fired' toy gun in class Thu Apr 19, 1:46 PM ET

CHURCH HILL, Tenn. - The mother of a kindergartner was charged with assault Thursday and banned from school after officials said she walked into the child's classroom, pointed a toy cap gun at students and pulled the trigger several times.

It happened Tuesday, a day after the deadly shootings at Virginia Tech, and scared teachers and students, the school principal said.

Church Hill police and Hawkins County school officials met with Heather Nicole Berg, 26, before charging her with misdemeanor assault, police said. She had already been banned from Church Hill Elementary School for a year.

Police declined to say why Berg had the cap gun with her but called her actions "a monumental lapse in judgment."

"A staff member and several children initially thought the gun was real and were fearful," police chief Mark Johnson said in a press release.

School officials said the woman was in the classroom to pay for an upcoming field trip. While the teacher's back was turned, "The mom walked in toward the middle of the classroom, and the teacher heard this click, click, click, click like four to six times," Principal Jean Heise said.

"A teacher's assistant witnessed her take a gun and point it directly toward four to five kids. With everything that's happened the last couple of days, she (the assistant) was just in shock," the principal said.

She then left with the small child and took the toy gun with her.

Heise called police.

Berg had a court appearance set for April 30. She could face up to a year in prison and a maximum fine of $2,500 if convicted of assault. Church Hill is near Kingsport, along the Virginia border.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    "A teacher's assistant witnessed her take a gun and point it directly toward four to five kids. With everything that's happened the last couple of days, she (the assistant) was just in shock,"
    OK, so my kid is in danger and you gonna just stand there ?
    Time to move the kids to a new school
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Assistant Administrator
    Poor judgement - and that's the understatement of the century here.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

wow. what complete moron. is it me, or are people getting stupider? and is 'stupider' even a word?

^^ The caption under the dictionary entry for "Stupider" it says, "see her." Jeez. Try that sort of thing in public where citizens are carrying in self-defense, and she just might find herself on the business end of a defensive posture ... from any number of people. Silly twit it going to get herself or others damaged.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    OK, so my kid is in danger and you gonna just stand there ?
    Time to move the kids to a new school
    What makes you think another school would do any different?

The only school I can think of that would actually do something if a BG came in with a gun and started shooting is an ARMED home school.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    wow. what complete moron. is it me, or are people getting stupider? and is 'stupider' even a word?
    See, It's contagious!

I'm not exactly sure what this woman should be charged with because what did she really do? It was really bad taste but what crime? It's not really assault. Maybe threatening bodily harm? Or terrorism?
    -Biker

Assault? How is pointing a harmless bit of plastic at someone assault?

Ewww... it was shaped like an evil gun...

I'm not sure if 'wanton act of stupidity' is against the law... or 'incredibly bad timing for a stupid joke' either.

I wonder if the kids were frightened by this idiots actions. Most toy guns I've seen lately are _obviously_ a toy... I can imagine the little boys cocking their fingers and 'shooting' back at her!

The _only_ reason this is newsworthy is her incredibly poor taste, and miserable sense of timing. It's sure as heck not a crime!
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

This parent clearly has some Psych problems. Perhaps some retartdation. She had already dome something to be banned from the school, I'm guessing she doesn't fully understand right from wrong.

The teachers' reaction I think would be typical for this country. "I can't believe something bad could happen, so I'm just gonna watch it not happen in front of me."
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by cmidkiff View Post
    Assault? How is pointing a harmless bit of plastic at someone assault?
    Maybe an LE or a lawyer can back me up or correct me on this, but I believe that assault is defined as a directed, specific threat against someone, battery is when you actually attack someone. If the gun were to be percieved as real, if only for a moment, maybe it is along the lines of being guilty of armed robbery, even if you only pretended to have a weapon.

Don't know for sure, just trying think like a lawyer.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

JD
    Administrator

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    ... is 'stupider' even a word?

In this case it definately is.

I think she was trying to prove a point about the secuirty of the school?

But I think there's better ways to go about doing that.

I can't think of a negative word suitable for print to describle the level of ignorrance displayed in her actions.

It is 'more stupid', but stupider sounds appropriate given that she probably would not know the difference.

I assume she was semi-drunk or on some cocktail of meds that enabled her to see her actions as innocent, there is a LOT of that kind of behavior around these days.

Yeah either way this was a incredibly stupid thing to do (& timed like ) she does deserve to be in some kinda trouble for sure & like everyone else said "what the were the teachers thinking

Lead Moderator
    If the gun appeared to be real, the mother should have charges against her. either way, poor judgment and a unbalanced individual.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Lead Moderator
    Really stupid way to act. I almost wonder if she was trying to prove to herself and the school the same thing could happen there. If she was, she sure went about it wrong!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links