Got a Question!

Got a Question!

This is a discussion on Got a Question! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just have to ask since I guess I don't understand the reason for all the resistance. The is a pending law in Maryland (I know...), ...

Thread: Got a Question!

Lead Moderator

Got a Question!

Just have to ask since I guess I don't understand the reason for all the resistance.

The is a pending law in Maryland (I know...), that want to place a time on reporting stolen weapons, something like 48 hours to report them missing.

I don't understand why there is the problem with this? Years ago when my house was broken into and two pistols taken, I couldn't get on the phone fast enough to report the guns, with serial numbers, before the thief used them someplace else.

Thoughts?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Perhaps law enforcement is frustrated by a "person of interest" saying they had their gun stolen a while back, after the law enforcement traces a gun used in a crime, back to that "person of interest"?

It's too convenient an excuse to say, "oh yeah, that gun was stolen a year ago and I just haven't got around to reporting it yet".

(I realize that's a pretty weak reason, but it's all I could come up with)

Good shooting....deadeye

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    I used to get upset hearing that phrase "person of interest."

I live in a small town and if anything goes sour, I become a person of interest, especially when a fancy firearm or motorcycle is involved.

Kidding aside, we've had one murder here in my town in 17 years. True story, they came and questioned me and I didn't even know the girl, much less frequent bars, or any bar in almost 20 years.

I think the expression, "round up the usual suspects" applies more here.

But I sometimes wonder if behind closed doors they whisper, "Where's Chico been lately?"

Just as long as they still buy my knives...

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye
    Perhaps law enforcement is frustrated by a "person of interest" saying they had their gun stolen a while back, after the law enforcement traces a gun used in a crime, back to that "person of interest"?
    That's sort of my point. I would think the "normal" folks would want to report the missing weapon right away! That's why I can't understand the problem with the bill. I would assume that this would allow local law enforcement to check the "person's" story, sort of a win-win.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Rick,
    Maybe I'm missing your point, but I totally agree with you that "normal" people would want to report a stolen gun ASAP. Unfortunately, laws are made for "abnormal" (non law-abiding). Honest people don't need laws to govern their behavior. It seems we have to legislate to the lowest common denominator of humanity.

Good shooting.....deadeye.

Rick,
    Oops! I just realized I WAS missing your point. Went back and re-read your first post more carefully. You were asking "why the resistence" to a law requiring prompt notification. I took it to mean "why do we need the law". Can't come up with any reason for being against the proposed law.

Sorry, me bad.

deadeye

Links